PDA

View Full Version : Problem using TI CC2650

pololo
August 22nd, 2016, 09:38 PM
I am asking this question directly on the TI forums as well, but decided to post here in case anyone has specific experience with this.

I am attempting to prototype with a CC2650 RGZ package 48 pin QFN processor from TI. I am trying to program it using the XDS100v3 debug probe on the SmartRF06 Evaluation board. The chip I am trying to program is a standalone, not the evaluation breakout board.

My only connections are a 3.3V power supply to VDDS, VDDS2, VDDS3, and the VDD_DCDC input. The DCDC output I have connected to the VDDR 1.8V inputs. My reset pin is tied through a pullup resistor to 3.3V. All pins listed above have capacitors to ground, as recommeded in the SmartRF documentation. When I tried just using that, I got 3.3V on the power rail and 5 mA being drawn from my power supply, as expected. So for that reason I believe my power connections are correct.

To program the board, I connected the cJTAG connections from the SmartRF06. This would be Pin 1 on the JTAG connector(VDD_Sense) to Power, Pin 4(Ground) to Ground, Pin 7(TMSC) to Pin 24 on the CC2650, and Pin 9(TCK) to Pin 25 on the CC2650. These follow chapter 7 recommendations from the programming guide. I ran CCS to program the board, and recieved the error "Power Failure on target CPU".
http://www.kynix.com/uploadfiles/ic.jpg

Following this, the CC2650 started drawing the current limit from my power supply at 30 mA. This persisted after I disconnected the JTAG pins. I think, therefore, that the chip was burnt somehow by the debugger. I do not, however, have any idea of why this happened.

On the SmartRF board, I disconnected the VDDtoEM jumper, but left the other default jumpers on. I also removed the evaluation breakout board. POWER switch was set to ON and BAT/USB was set to USB.

I have a couple days before my replacement chip comes in, but if anyone has experience with TI debuggers, specifically with designing boards using the CC2650, I would appreciate some advice on how I can program my chip.

For reference, here is the development kit I was using, which has the debugger onboard: http://www.kynix.com/Parts/2694504/CC2650DK.html

Thank you for any advice or help you can provide.

tingo
August 23rd, 2016, 01:53 PM
And is this a vintage chip / development kit?