PDA

View Full Version : Wave Mate Bullit won't recieve

phogren
September 4th, 2016, 11:44 AM
I recently got a Wave Mate CP/M machine with 2 8" drives. Before I try to get the 8" drive working I'm tryinmg to make sure everything else works.
I can get it to boot to:

60K CP/M V2.2, Z80SBC CBIOS V0.5E

A>

by using a 5 1/4" drive and hyper terminal. but I can't get it to accept any CR or anything at all.
I've tried several different terminal emulations but no change.
suggestions?

(it's a version C)

phogren
September 4th, 2016, 01:08 PM
Figured it out, I had a bad cable. Yippee - it works
Now how to get the 8" drives working.

MicrocomputerSolutions
September 5th, 2016, 11:12 AM
I service floppy drives if they are not working. I'll sell you replacement drives if they are not worth fixing.

What brand and model are the non-working 8" drives, and what (if any) are the symptoms?

If you're lucky, maybe the problem will be a bad fuse, or a bad cable, or a bad power supply, and not the drives themselves.

phogren
September 5th, 2016, 01:21 PM
Not far enough yet to know. I think they might just need a good cleaning. I'll let you know if I need your services.

MicrocomputerSolutions
September 5th, 2016, 01:53 PM
If you can reach the heads, q-tips and alcohol are a more effective cleaning method than a 8" cleaning disk, which may not be effective in some cases.

The way that some/many drives are configured, the heads will not load unless the drive detects the index pulse, and cleaning disks do not have index holes, so they don't generate index pulses.

On some drives, a cleaning disk is the only way to clean the heads because the mechanical parts prevent the User from getting to the heads with a q-tip. In these cases, the cleaning disk is the only way yo get in there, but the cleaning disk will not be effective, unless the heads can be loaded.

Make sure you are trying the right type of disks. Single-sided, and double-sided diskettes have the index hole in different places. Single-sided and double-sided drives have the sensors in different locations, so the type of disk can be detected.