PDA

View Full Version : Storing PCs in my NJ garage?

SMichelsen
September 8th, 2016, 12:36 PM
I am considering storing some of my project PCs in my garage, in a metal closet. I am in New Jersey, and the attached garage is unheated. Has anyone had any experience with doing this? I know it's not ideal but I need to make room inside.

Thanks,
Steve

NeXT
September 8th, 2016, 02:16 PM
Unless you're near the coast or your region in NJ is abnormally humid I don't see way it wouldn't be a problem.

Stone
September 8th, 2016, 02:26 PM
I have stored plenty of equipment in my garage and it hasn't fared any worse than the same or similar equipment I've kept in the house. All in all, age/time has proven to be the biggest equipment killer.

roberttx
September 8th, 2016, 03:01 PM
Repeated heating and cooling cycles can be hard on stuff, but I don't think it would be too bad in somewhere relatively moderate like NJ. Especially if the garage is attached.

Now round here, where we get highs over 110 and lows around zero, you might see some effects...

Chuck(G)
September 8th, 2016, 03:14 PM
Site of the first ESS-1 switch in the US!

The biggest problem you'll have is vermin; mice mostly. They'll chew and pee on everything, given a chance.

Unknown_K
September 8th, 2016, 04:41 PM
I store bags of bird seed in the garage and noticed mice tearing holes in the bags. I don't think freezing temps are good for LCD screens. Humidity will make things rust and heat cooling cycles will affect batteries (CMOS, laptop etc.).

Will 110F affect magnetic media?

Chuck(G)
September 8th, 2016, 05:26 PM
I routinely "bake" media at 140-150F--but 110F probably isn't really good for the media, either.

My biggest concern with hot/cold cycles would be condensation. Makes for rust and corrosion.

roberttx
September 8th, 2016, 05:37 PM
My biggest concern with hot/cold cycles would be condensation. Makes for rust and corrosion.

Good point. I was thinking of the mechanical aspects of thermal cycling, but hadn't considered the chemical ones.

Rick Ethridge
September 9th, 2016, 02:15 AM
Electrolytic caps on an Amiga A4000 died that way.