PDA

View Full Version : 1983 TI Professional Computer

Solotime
October 5th, 2016, 05:24 PM
Are these things as rare as some say? I did search places like Ebay and can find no listings and no past sales. I am working on one that is complete with the original Monitor and Keyboard and am just gathering more info at this point.
Like should it boot from the HD or does it require the 5.25" floppy...
Thanks in Advance for any help/info.

SomeGuy
October 5th, 2016, 07:24 PM
I assume you are talking about the desktop version?

The portable versions comes up on eBay every now and then, but the desktop versions hardly ever seem to come up.

I'd expect models with hard drives would boot from the hard drive, but I don't know for absolutely sure. However, the TI Professional Computer is not an IBM PC compatible - it is an 8088 based machine that runs a special port of DOS, and many applications were specifically ported to it. That means it won't boot with any other DOS nor will its MS-DOS boot on an IBM PC. If you need, MS-DOS 2.11 TI Professional Computer OEM is archived and available for download at several places, and disks can be written on a PC with ImageDisk.

Unknown_K
October 5th, 2016, 07:49 PM
I remember liking the keyboards when I seen them in magazine advertisements. If you have the keyboard and monitor and they work it might be worth a few bucks for somebody collecting early DOS non IBM compatible systems.

Solotime
October 6th, 2016, 05:23 PM
Thanks guys,
Yes it is a desktop. I was tasked with cleaning out an attic and this unit along with 3 old Apple machines were found. The 3 Apple units seem to run fine. I am working on the TI monitor first so I can see what it is displaying if anything. It tries to access the HD first then the floppy fires up then nothing. I hooked up a pretty new flat panel monitor to it but just got garbage on the screen. May need to see if i can find a system floppy if the HD is not working.

Solotime
October 10th, 2016, 01:05 PM
Got the original Monitor fixed and it does boot from the HD. Now to work on a user/operator manual. It boots to a Winchester (HD) command set and I have no idea where to go from there. Need to refresh my dos command memory...it has been a while.

jonhales
November 17th, 2016, 01:20 PM
Hi. Sorry this is a response to a post that's more than a month old. I have a TI Professional portable that works (in UK). It's the twin floppy type. I have a few disks (MS-DOS downloaded from WinWorld and an original diagnostics disk) and a couple of manuals as PDF files. If any of this material would help you, please let me know. Jon