PDA

View Full Version : Kaypro 10 low level format... again.

dmemphis
October 11th, 2016, 03:22 PM
I have an early K10 which I'm having disk problems with booting.
Some of this could have been power supply connector issues which I have resolved.
I tested the st-225 that was in it on a PC with a WD1003 controller. It tests out fine
and I reformatted it and made it bootable on a PC.

So back to the K10. (and yes I moved the jumper back to DISK 1 which I moved to DISK 0
for the PC) . Now for the re-low level formatting...

But everyone talks about the tools on the K10HALD disk set.
For some reason the K10HALD disk set will not work for me.
I made them with teledisk but they won't boot or read. I used an IBM full height drive on my duplicator PC.
Whereas, the K10GRLD disk set made with teledisk boots and reads.
The GRLD disk set has a formatter called HDSKFMT.COM which runs but reports verify errors constantly.

Can anyone tell me why the HALD disk set isn't working (is it a ROM issue?) or provide a different low level
formatter that will let the GRLD set pick up from there?

dmemphis
October 12th, 2016, 06:50 AM
I discovered an assembly in my collection that had a WD1002-05 board in it.
I substituted it for the Kaypro WD1002-HDO board and with that the hdskfmt command is now running nicely.
So it would seem that the failure mode shown in the photo can be assumed to be a bad controller board.
Very fortunate that I had another board to try.

Would still like to know why the HALD disks won't work. Should I make the disks on a PC using
the drive from the Kaypro? Also, related, on a few of the GRLD disks, teledisk was trying to write
past track index 39 which threw a fail message on my IBM full hight 360k drive... I expect that I might
have incomplete disks in that case. Should I be concerned?

dmemphis
October 12th, 2016, 07:14 AM
Well that was not the last word!
I got suspicious that the -05 controller card worked while it was swinging free on the bench
while the original -HD0 controller, bolted to the drive case didn't.
Could it be that there was something wrong with how I had reinstalled the -HDO card to the side of
the drive case? Well yes. I recall there were was one screw not present when I disassembled the
drive enclosure. I assumed it was an oversight from prior assembly or repair.
Looks like I put a screw back in THE hole that wasn't populated before, now I see why it was unpopulated:
The screw provided makes contact with a resistor. I removed that screw and now the -HDO board
is formatting the drive. Wow... details, details, details.

ldkraemer
October 12th, 2016, 10:56 AM
WOW! You are lucky you didn't smoke something. Perhaps you could locate a small Nylon screw and turn the
head down so it fits flush.

If I get a chance I'll look at the Files for Disk 7, 8, & 9 and see if maybe I can access them with cpmtools.
I might be able to copy the files off the images and then you could just copy those back to a floppy.
You might also try the Imagedisk Utility TD02IMD and then there are also utilities that allow you to
look at the images and see if they appear correct. I'm trying to remember where I used them last so
I can find my document on what I did.

Larry