PDA

View Full Version : CP/M Single Density Disks via a Commodore 1571?

CheeseofBorg
October 26th, 2016, 09:12 AM
I finally got my OSBORNE 1 (single density) running, but have no software for it. If I were able to use the 1571 I have (I can construct the cable to connect it to a parallel port) would I be able to write disks in single density format? I find conflicting specifications online on if I can do this or not.

Rick Ethridge
October 26th, 2016, 07:17 PM
It IS possible. There is a program that used various CP/M formats. I've forgotten the name.

Chuck(G)
October 26th, 2016, 07:31 PM
I don't believe that FM is possible. Double-density (MFM) formats, sure, but single-density (FM), not as far as I can determine. See the 1751 User's Guide (https://ia800700.us.archive.org/28/items/1571UsersGuide/1571_Users_Guide.pdf).

phogren
October 27th, 2016, 09:58 AM
There are a lot of people here that can create a disk for you. PM me if you want 1 or 2 boot disks. A comm program can fit on a boot disk and then with a serial cable you can transfer programs to your Osborne. I seem to recall you don't even need a null modem adapter with the Osborne. I could be wrong. A user in Brazil recently got started this way.

phogren
October 29th, 2016, 09:10 AM
Your disks are on the way. You can make a donation to your local non-kill humane society. Let me know how it goes.

CheeseofBorg
November 4th, 2016, 09:06 PM
Got the discs, and everything seems to work fine. I'm not sure how to use the modem program you sent though, all the guides I can find are for Kermit. I made a donation the Yavapai County Humane Society, thanks for you help!

phogren
November 8th, 2016, 02:38 PM
I think it will do xmodem but it's been awhile. Kermit is great though and I think that progra
Supports it.