PDA

View Full Version : Best 2k monitor for 8080

Nama
November 16th, 2016, 05:23 PM
Ok, this one might be a bit contentious, but I'm wondering what everyone thought was the best 2k monitor for an 8080 system?

I'm looking for something for my IMSAI 8080 to live at E000h to E7FF (or E800 to EFFF), with good 'modern' functionality, and works well talking to, and transferring code (HEX, BIN files) with a PC (used as a terminal). Something flexible, fast, easy to use and comes with source code so I can modify the I/O if needed.

I say "2k" because I'm guessing it would have more functionality than a 1k version. A 4K Monitor may also be great ;-)

Thanks

Phil

smp
November 17th, 2016, 04:19 AM
Hi Nama,

Send me an e-mail address in a PM and I'll send you the source code for my system monitor that I used for quite a few years. It's Z-80 code - a combination of a couple of other system monitors that I acquired on the Internet. It has all that I needed, including input and output from and to I/O ports, and the Load command loads Intel Hex files. It is currently set up for the S100Computers.com serial I/O board, but it is easily changed to whatever you wish. It is currently ORG'd at $F000 but I have also used it at $E000.

Give it a try and let me know what you think.

smp

glitch
November 17th, 2016, 05:29 AM
My favorite is the monitor that came with the Dajen SCI:

http://www.glitchwrks.com/2011/11/03/dajen-sci

It's been the inspiration for my ROM monitor, which isn't to a level of completeness to be worth recommending. I especially like the extensible command structure and editable command line -- you can backspace and edit the line before hitting enter, which many monitors don't allow.

For a super-small monitor, old versions of the Vector Graphic monitor fit in 512 bytes (2x 1702s) and provide pretty good features, including a multi-pass memory test. I don't have source for it, but I do have images ORGed and patched to work with a MITS Turnkey board.

pbirkel@gmail.com
November 17th, 2016, 10:18 PM
My favorite is the monitor that came with the Dajen SCI:

http://www.glitchwrks.com/2011/11/03/dajen-sci

Found the manuals (with listing) on your site, thank you (and Bill). Do you perchance have the source posted anywhere?

glitch
November 18th, 2016, 03:52 AM
It's listed in the manual, but I don't have a text copy. You could disassemble the ROM dumps and change the labels by hand to match the manual, that would save you the error-prone task of typing in the entire listing.

pbirkel@gmail.com
November 18th, 2016, 04:08 AM
It's listed in the manual, but I don't have a text copy. You could disassemble the ROM dumps and change the labels by hand to match the manual, that would save you the error-prone task of typing in the entire listing.

Can do. Where did you stash the ROM dumps?

Nama
November 21st, 2016, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the replies.

smp, I'll send you a PM. Thanks.
glitch, both Dajen and VG monitors sound good. I actually have the VG Mon 4.3 (Flashwriter II compatible version) installed in my SMB-200. So for consistent, maybe a serial version of the VG mon may be a good fit.

Thanks again guys

Phil

altairsysop
December 22nd, 2016, 01:41 PM
The VG Mon has several variations:

1) The 2K 4.0C version uses Intel 8251 serial I/O initialized at 4MHz.
2) My 1K 4.0x version uses Intel 8251 serial I/O initialized at 6MHz.
3) Mike Douglas has a version of the VG 2.0 monitor for an Altair with a Motorola 6850 I/O

Martin Eberhard wrote a 2K monitor for a Altair with a Motorola 6850 I/O.

The altaircomputerclub on Yahoo has an Altair monitor (M6850) in the Files section.

These monitors are 8080 code. The 6MHz monitor provides extra delay when initializing the I/O at 6MHz.

VG 4.0 based monitors have entry points that hook to VG CP/M. I have a Tarbell 1011D CP/M that uses the entry points for Console.

Tom

altairsysop
December 22nd, 2016, 01:51 PM
FYI, Mike Douglas has a 1K version of the VG 2.0 Monitor. This one is enhanced, but VG did have Altair versions of the 2.0 Mon. Source code is available and the memory test is handy. Based on size the 512 byte VG MON, it may be older that the 2.0 Mon. Code for newer 2K monitors is available, but might contain Z80 code.

http://altairclone.com/downloads/roms/Altair%20Monitor/

Tom

Nama
December 23rd, 2016, 04:45 PM
Hi Tom,
That is actually the monitor I ended up using. It has a very good feature set being based on the vector graphic rom, and I could tweak a few things to make it work better with my IMSAI system.

Thanks

ef1j91
December 23rd, 2016, 05:56 PM
I've been puttering around with monitors for the 8080. Mind sharing the code?

I have dumps of what I think is the VG 512k monitor (labels are faded). I'm working through disassembly. Otherwise my starting point has been the monitor in Miller's 8080/z80 assembly language book. The memory check routine is serviceable for working out the bugs in my machine at least.

(Whoops... code in thread... got it!)