PDA

View Full Version : Please help with ICL QUATTRO

Jamal
November 22nd, 2016, 10:02 AM
Hello
I own computer ICL QUATTRO model 49 (20 Mb hard disk)
The hardware in my computer is functional. My problem is incomplete operating system.
Self only LOADER floppies, but it is not enough for installation (initial) hard disk.
On the web site I found no operating system for ICL QUATTRO.
Please you have someone working computer ICL, or floppy disk with the operating system?
You can make a copy for me CCP / M files from your computer, or make copies floppy
diskette operating system Concurrent CP / M86 (3.1s) / Concurrent DOS (4.1b) for ICL
QUATTRO?
It will be enough for me floppy disk (image), or just copy CCP / M86 files from your
hard disk functional computer ICL. (COPYQM, TELEDISK, 22DISK)
I will be very grateful for your help.
Thank you
Sincerely, Jamal

daver2
November 22nd, 2016, 10:35 AM
Hi, and welcome to VCFED.

Can I suggest having a read of this thread first http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?21497-ICL-Quattro and see if this helps you out?

Regards,

Dave

Jamal
November 23rd, 2016, 05:41 AM
Hello, thank you for the welcome.

Yes, this post I looked in the past, but on the website http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...97-ICL-Quattro and http://www.cpm.z80.de/source.html, not the operating system for ICL QUATTRO. Many of files stored and utility ccpm86 can be used for ICL quattro, but the files for configuration computer is different and dysfunctional.
The files that need to configure ICL QUATTRO are : CONFIG, CONFIG2 and CONFIG3.
So far, my search is unsuccessful.
I think that the differences in the operating systems are due to operating system version.

For example, CCP / M86 (3.1) (3.1d) or (3.1s)
Version (3.1s) is for computer ICL QUATTRO.

Regards Jamal

jonhales
December 26th, 2016, 09:53 AM
Hi Jamal

I have install disks for the ICL Model 36 (8085 from memory with 10Mb hard disk) and Model 39 (8088 from memory with 10Mb ? hard disk). These are both 80-track DS/DD 5.25 inch, 800k. Using the file listing from the Model 39, I was able to create the set of 3 install disks for the Model 36 from the files on the hard disk. I mention this, because you might be able to do something similar, assuming that you can boot from your hard disk. This would also allow you to write the system tracks you need to boot from the floppy disks you make.

I also have an image of the Model 36 10Mb hard disk created with David Gesswein's MFM emulator: this is not directly relevant to you, but I would recommend that you make an image of your hard disk before making any changes to it. Previously this was difficult, but the MFM Emulator makes it relatively straightforward.

You could try contacting the Vintage ICL Museum, which is likely to have a set of the install disks you need.

Finally, it would be helpful if you provided more information about the specification of your Quattro, such as the processor it uses and the amount of memory installed.

Jamal
December 30th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Hello Jonhales.

Thank you for your contribution.
My computer ICL PC (QUATTRO) is model 49.
Computer has installed processor (8086) and mathematical processor (8087). The hard disk has a capacity (20 Mb - Miniscribe)
MFM hard disk controller is XEBEC - 104786, BIOS VERSION - 104788E.
RAM is installed 2x 512 Kb. 1x Floppy Drive - DSDD 800 Kb, 80 track.

In the past, my computer was functioning, but many years ago I accidentally deleted
Virtual Disk M: from the hard disk. That is why my computer ICL is not working and can not make copies of installation disks.
Therefore seeking ICL installation disk (image disk), or files to install a hard drive: CONFIG, CONFIG2, CONFIG3 ..........

I contacted in the past Vintage ICL Computer Museum, but improper the ICL installation disk.

Please, could I ask you for a copy (image) diskettes that you created on the ICL PC (model 39)?
It would be possible to send a picture of your installation disks for me?

Greetings, Jamal

jonhales
January 12th, 2017, 08:57 AM
Hi, Jamal

I sent a PM with a request for you to contact me. I'm happy to make disk copies from the Model 39 images, and to provide a PDF manual for the CP/M-86 Model 36.

Jon