PDA

View Full Version : Networking & EMS Questions/Recommendations

lyonadmiral
December 15th, 2016, 04:06 PM
(Well if I can't sell it, I might as well keep working on it.)

I have one free slot in my system unit and three free slots (I think) in my expansion unit.

What would be the best way to add ethernet TCP/IP networking and stuff the stack & driver in EMS (if that's even possible).

Thanks,
D

Stone
December 15th, 2016, 06:32 PM
There's always the possibility of parallel port networking.

mbbrutman
December 16th, 2016, 07:47 AM
Good cards for that machine are the 3C503, The WD/SMC800x series, NE1000 cards, and possibly the Intel 8/16 card. If you don't want to install a card you can use a Xircom PE3-10BT adapter which connects to the parallel port but basically functions as an Ethernet card.

For software you can use MS Lanman (drive and printer sharing), mTCP (FTP, Telnet, and more Unixy utils), or WATTCP applications (also geared more towards classic Unix.) mTCP and WATTCP are real mode DOS applications so they use conventional memory. I'm not sure how much of MS Lanman can be placed into non-conventional memory.

Chuck(G)
December 16th, 2016, 07:55 AM
For software you can use MS Lanman (drive and printer sharing), mTCP (FTP, Telnet, and more Unixy utils), or WATTCP applications (also geared more towards classic Unix.) mTCP and WATTCP are real mode DOS applications so they use conventional memory. I'm not sure how much of MS Lanman can be placed into non-conventional memory.

In my experience, quite a bit. Using a LIM 4.0 card in an XT, MSLANMAN shows 312KB of EMS usage (using a NE2000-ish NIC and supporting TCP/IP and NetBEUI.

lyonadmiral
December 16th, 2016, 08:16 AM
In my experience, quite a bit. Using a LIM 4.0 card in an XT, MSLANMAN shows 312KB of EMS usage (using a NE2000-ish NIC and supporting TCP/IP and NetBEUI.

So what is a good LIM 4.0 compliant card?

Chuck(G)
December 16th, 2016, 10:11 AM
I use the Intel Aboveboard 286 with the 8 bit DIP shunt installed. No complaints.

Stone
December 16th, 2016, 10:46 AM
U-Net II, the parallel port network I referred to only uses 16Kb of ram on the workstation and 20Kb of ram on the server and doesn't require any hardware to be installed to either the workstation or server. The only additional equipment you need is a parallel transfer cable (like a LapLink cable) to link the workstation and server. If it sounds easy it's because it is. :-)

alecv
December 16th, 2016, 11:09 AM
So what is a good LIM 4.0 compliant card?
try
https://www.lo-tech.co.uk/wiki/Lo-tech_2MB_EMS_Board

lyonadmiral
December 16th, 2016, 04:31 PM
try
https://www.lo-tech.co.uk/wiki/Lo-tech_2MB_EMS_Board

I've talked with James over there and I think his designs are awesome, but he doesn't have pre-assembled kits available and my dexterity with my hands is not sufficient for soldering anymore...

lyonadmiral
December 16th, 2016, 04:34 PM
I use the Intel Aboveboard 286 with the 8 bit DIP shunt installed. No complaints.

I'll keep my eyes out for one. Thanks Chuck.