PDA

View Full Version : Broadband/Telephone extension

bbcmicro
December 16th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Our house doesn't have any 'phone outlets upstairs. This means internet access in my room has to be done wirelessly, and makes it much harder to get things upstairs online. Basically, only anything with a USB port for my adapter.

I was thinking I could run some standard cheap 'phone extention cable pinned above the skirting from an existing outlet to my room and install a socket, and use the wireless/wired modem/router there and let the family PC downstairs have the USB adapter, allowing me to use the interent on a much larger number of machines.

However, I remember reading somewhere that ADSL doesn't like being far away from an 'phone outlet above a certain length (And I think it was only small, 2 metres maybe?) so would the ADSL modem actually work an entire floor and some stairs way from the source?

Thanks.

mbbrutman
December 16th, 2006, 03:29 PM
I'm missing something in the problem description here. You are saying that your wireless isn't working well? Why not fix that before you start re-arranging things?

bbcmicro
December 16th, 2006, 04:07 PM
My wireless works fine (Although not great in Ubuntu)
I have a wireless adapter in my room, the modem/router is downstairs.
I want to swap them round, but there isn't a telephone outlet upstairs.
Will an ADSL modem work fine over a long phone extention cable?

wasted39
December 16th, 2006, 08:48 PM
I would use bell cable. round cable with 4 small gauge solid wires instead of a phone extension cable. you could run that from the demarcation to your room upstairs with not much trouble. stringing those cheap phone extension cables around is asking for packet loss. I ran bell cable from my demarc to my dining room across the basement at about 25 feet. I get good signal from there.

mbbrutman
December 17th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Ah, now I understand. You want to put other things online as well, and those things don't do wireless.

You need a router/gateway upstairs, one that can take things directly connected over Ethernet and send it wirelessly downstairs. My wireless experience is minimal, but I'm sure that such things exist.

bbcmicro
December 17th, 2006, 11:33 AM
You need a router/gateway upstairs, one that can take things directly connected over Ethernet and send it wirelessly downstairs

Thats what I have already (I think), its a modem with 5 ethernet ports for multiple connections from different computers to the internet, and also broadcasts an independant wireless signal.

The problem I'm getting at is, it's downstairs and I'm upstairs using wireless internet. I want to swap them around but there are no outlets upstairs. Wasted39 suggests bell cable to run an extention from downstairs to upstairs so I can have the modem/router upstairs and the PC downstairs can go wireless.

Sorry, I feel like I'm confusing things.

mbbrutman
December 17th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Yes, but you should be able to get a device that can be configured to do the same thing upstairs, except in reverse. I don't know if wireless access points that you get in Best Buy can do that .. that might be a different level of equipment.

If you are going to move your existing router, use high quality wire as suggested.

dongfeng
December 17th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Either that, or run a network cable from the router to your room, and put a network socket on you wall. If you want to connect more than one machine to the Internet, a cheap hub will let you split it.

Broadband on a telephone line can be VERY fussy about extensions, whereas networking cable is not ;)

bbcmicro
December 17th, 2006, 01:17 PM
mbbrutman, I see now. I don't think I've ever seen one before.

I think dongfengs idea is probably more practical than mine.

I've seen ethernet cable in my dad's DIY bulk catalogue, I'll ask him about it next time he makes an order.

nige the hippy
December 17th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Why not stick another hub upstairs and extend the ethernet from the router? and maybe a phone line too, but for using as a phone line.

OOps mr dong has beaten me to it!