PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo Messenger

GraceUGrad2006
December 17th, 2006, 06:29 PM
I just really started with yahoo messager I do not want to get involved with any wierd chat rooms or people any one who has yahoo please let me know of any good chat rooms.
My yahoo Instant Messaging is Angelsou74
Thanks
Angel :)

80sFreak
December 18th, 2006, 09:53 AM
I personally only use IMs for private chat... For group chat I have been using IRC. This board has an "official" IRC chat room and we sometimes chat Friday/Saturday nights. Here is a thread (http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=4992) about it.

Another IRC chat I do is #c64friends pretty much every Saturday night officially starting around 9:00 PM EST. This chat is focused on everything Commodore.

Cheers,

80sFreak

atari2600a
December 18th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Wait, is that Commodore channel on Mike's server?

GraceUGrad2006
December 18th, 2006, 11:36 AM
cool I do not have IRC but I will get it. I want to get to know people but I did not really want to use chat rooms that I was not familar with I have heard horror stories. p.s.
If anyone wants a new buddy on yahoo chat I am available lol :cool:

80sFreak
December 18th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Wait, is that Commodore channel on Mike's server?

No, it is irc.eskimo.net .. Here (http://www.c64friends.com/) has a little more information and transcripts of past chats.

Cheers,

80sFreak

80sFreak
December 18th, 2006, 04:14 PM
cool I do not have IRC but I will get it. I want to get to know people but I did not really want to use chat rooms that I was not familar with I have heard horror stories.

I only do chat rooms nowadays where I relatively know the people I am chatting with... I used to do open chat rooms, but that was years and years ago on the *real* CompuServe.

Cheers,

80sFreak

chuckcmagee
December 18th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Yep, the real Compu$erve wasn't too bad. Even then, I already knew everyone there from a "vitual avatar world" that we all used just about every day. The virtual world still exists today (www.vzones.com) and you don't have to go through Cserve to get there anymore. Man, that could get expense as Cserve charged by the MINUTE. I still have a Cserve account but there is almost no one left there. In the Linux forum, there are about 6 of us, counting 2 sysops also. I rarely even bother to go in there nowadays.

IBMMuseum
December 18th, 2006, 06:12 PM
...I want to get to know people but I did not really want to use chat rooms that I was not familar with I have heard horror stories...

I met my wife through Yahoo Messenger (well, her seeing my Yahoo profile and sending me an initial e-mail). So let my dream-come-true story counter some of the horror stories you have heard. But then again I have been involved with the Internet for some time, and have established many domestic (I mean within my native country, not a relationship like my one-and-only wife) and international friendships.

The main thing is posting your IM address(es) on forums where you have an interest & making at least a little of your profile public. My Yahoo profile tends to cover my military areas, and MSNIM (Microsoft Network Instant Messenger) is for the computer collecting. I'm "IBMMuseum" (with the rest of the IM domain where needed) on just about everything.

Just understand that I may be busy when active in Messenger (and possibly chatting with my wife and/or stepchildren moving to unify our households). On YM (Yahoo Messenger) you can leave offline messages, and I try to return every contact made (otherwise I wouldn't have met my wife, the easiest relationship I have had in my life). Without Messenger it would have never been possible for me (there is plenty of phone calls too, but that has an expense).

...p.s. If anyone wants a new buddy on yahoo chat I am available lol :cool:

Put that on your profile too. Remember to follow your gut feelings with contacts, not revealing too much at the start (although digging up information is pretty easy on the Internet too). You can always block someone, and openly tell them to move on if something is too creepy.

Terry Yager
December 18th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Just to play daDebil's Advocate here...IMs drive me NUTZ! Nothin' like having a window pop up and interupt whatever it iz yer tryin' to do, with some lame-ass message from someone you don't even know. (Besides, the damn things always seem to screw up my computerz).

--T

Terry Yager
December 18th, 2006, 06:24 PM
...Are there any other kind?

--T

GraceUGrad2006
December 18th, 2006, 06:29 PM
I have not seen to many chat rooms that are not wierd. I definitely do not believe I will find romance by chatting In fact i think I am cursed at love :( so online romance for me is not a good idea