PDA

View Full Version : New Members



CP/M User
December 23rd, 2003, 08:05 PM
Hi Erik & all,

It's quite funny, I've noticed that at least
everyday somebody new joins but that's
about all their doing. Just checked the
Memberlist & there are some people who
have been registered as long as April or
May, but have not contributed into at least
one single discussion, which is a bit sad to
the system, when you say that there are
290 or so people registered & so many
posts (well at least the posting's been
good & all), there maybe out of those 290
people, 50 who put quite a bit of
discussion time into this forum & some
150 people, who have occasionally posted
some good info about themselves & have
perhaps created some interesting
discussions.

Then again, I could be wrong about all of
those people who haven't posted, in the
light of someday they will post something
which will knock our socks off & then come
back & say, "well what have I put into this
forum apart from yack, yack, yack!" :-)

But geez, 8 months seems a while! ;-)

Oh and one last thing, if in light of people
who have just registered & have just
accidently come across my messages, I
would just like to know where you found
out about us, because it just seems
incredible that there are some still
registerning in dribs & drabs, instead of
a large group! ;-)

Cheers.

Erik
December 23rd, 2003, 08:22 PM
It's quite funny, I've noticed that at least
everyday somebody new joins but that's
about all their doing. Just checked the
Memberlist & there are some people who
have been registered as long as April or
May, but have not contributed into at least
one single discussion. . .

I've noticed that too, but I think it's standard bell-curve stuff.

We've got a few folks who post a ton, a few folks who haven't posted at all and probably never will and a bunch of folks who post on occasion.

As long as the discussions are good and the people visiting are getting what they want from the boards then all is good.

I hope that anyone who isn't getting what they want will let me know, either here or via a PM or email, what they do want. . .

As for folks joining in dribs and drabs I think most of that is from my site which is the "parent" site of this forum.

Every 6 to 8 weeks I'll post an advert to relevant newsgroups and other areas that make sense and that will result in 5-15 new users. I'm probably going to reduce that frequency drastically at this point. Meanwhile, I'm always doing what I can to make my site itself more popular and more likely to show up on web searches.

As of now I'm getting about 100 unique front-page hits a day on my site (I don't track every page just yet). I'm guessing that about 5 of those 100 will see the boards and browse. Of those, maybe 1 in 10 will sign up.

That's good for a few users a week, at least, which seems to be about right.

Again, I hope these boards are providing a valuable service to the Vintage Computer community. That's why I've put them up. I don't think there are more then a few thousand people actively collecting computers anyway, so the few hundred we have here isn't a bad start for 2/3 of a year. . . :)

Erik

CP/M User
December 23rd, 2003, 09:00 PM
"Erik" wrote:

>> It's quite funny, I've noticed that at least
>> everyday somebody new joins but that's
>> about all their doing. Just checked the
>> Memberlist & there are some people who
>> have been registered as long as April or
>> May, but have not contributed into at least
>> one single discussion. . .

> We've got a few folks who post a ton, a few
> folks who haven't posted at all and probably
> never will and a bunch of folks who post on
> occasion.

Just something of interest, a while back (late
July) I got a Private Message from another
Aussie, who also had an interest in finding a
Jupiter Ace, but since they have been looking
for much longer than I have, their thinking that
they'll perhaps won't find one (which is sad in a
way). While they have an interest in vintage
computers, he was also interested in getting
something going down here (in Aust.), which
help's collectors of machines find parts or
machine's in general (I think) going. However,
they haven't posted any messages on the
messageboard, so the best way I can get them
seems to be via Private Message.

> As long as the discussions are good and the
> people visiting are getting what they want
> from the boards then all is good.

Well yeah, that seems to be the good news.

> I hope that anyone who isn't getting what they
> want will let me know, either here or via a PM
> or email, what they do want. . .

This is the other issue I want to discuss. While I'm
trying to send stuff via PM, it's going into my Outbox
instead of my SentBox. I was wonderning if the
others are recieving my Private Messages, since I've
sent one a while back, it's still in the Outbox. I'll
send you a test private message & see if you can
recieve it. I will post back in here, saying that I've
posted it. If you haven't recieved it, then perhaps
something is wrong with it, or I'm doing something
wrong, but I looks unlikely.

Cheers.

CP/M User
December 23rd, 2003, 09:04 PM
"CP/M User"

>> I hope that anyone who isn't getting what they
>> want will let me know, either here or via a PM
>> or email, what they do want. . .

> This is the other issue I want to discuss. While I'm
> trying to send stuff via PM, it's going into my Outbox
> instead of my SentBox. I was wonderning if the
> others are recieving my Private Messages, since I've
> sent one a while back, it's still in the Outbox. I'll
> send you a test private message & see if you can
> recieve it. I will post back in here, saying that I've
> posted it. If you haven't recieved it, then perhaps
> something is wrong with it, or I'm doing something
> wrong, but I looks unlikely.

Okay, I've sent the message Erik, have you recieved it?

Cheers,
CP/M User.

Cheers.[/quote]

Erik
December 24th, 2003, 07:16 AM
I got the PM and replied.

I'm pretty sure the PM function is working properly. A fair number of folks use it with no complaints.

Thanks!

Erik

CP/M User
December 24th, 2003, 01:29 PM
"Erik" wrote:

> I got the PM and replied.

> I'm pretty sure the PM function is working
> properly. A fair number of folks use it with
> no complaints.

Yes, I got Jon's & I discovered that once there've
view the sent message, it goes into the SentBox.

It's a little confusing because I thought the
messages were not going anywhere, since the
normal e-mail once sent goes into the Sent
Messages.

> Thanks!

So. there's no need to worry any more about it I
guess.

Have a Merry Christmas & a happy new year Erik!

Cheers.

Rick Ethridge
December 25th, 2003, 10:56 AM
I learned about this web site from posts on Usenet for various eight-bit computers. I still think these computers are cool! RLE

CP/M User
December 25th, 2003, 12:09 PM
"Rick Ethridge" wrote:

> I learned about this web site from posts on Usenet
> for various eight-bit computers. I still think these
> computers are cool!

That sounds great Rick, that you've seen the notice
on Usenet & came here to check her out! :-)

Cheers.