PDA

View Full Version : PS/2 ABIOS ROMS - do multiple versions exist?

pkhoury
January 11th, 2017, 07:48 PM
I finally got my eprom programmer working, and I'm wondering if there exists multiple versions of the ABIOS in PS/2 systems, or if a revision history even exists? I've found information on the web about various ROM updates for option cards, but nothing one way or the other about whether one can update the BIOS by writing a new eprom with updated microcode.

krebizfan
January 11th, 2017, 08:22 PM
I am fairly certain that there were multiple ABIOS revisions, i.e. my Model 77 had different code from my Model 60. I don't know of a reference for the various different versions or a revision history.

The ABIOS technical reference goes into good detail on how the patching is done. Reply planar upgrades came with a flash update though I think for most systems the ABIOS patching mechanism precluded the need for new eproms.

pkhoury
January 11th, 2017, 10:29 PM
I am fairly certain that there were multiple ABIOS revisions, i.e. my Model 77 had different code from my Model 60. I don't know of a reference for the various different versions or a revision history.

I should've have clarified - different revisions for the same model. Like say revision 1, 2, 3, 4, etc for the Model 60; revision A, B, C, D, etc for the Model 77, etc.

The ABIOS technical reference goes into good detail on how the patching is done. Reply planar upgrades came with a flash update though I think for most systems the ABIOS patching mechanism precluded the need for new eproms.

Is ABIOS the only BIOS present in these systems then? I've heard about the reply planar upgrades, but I doubt an upgrade for older systems such as the Model 30 8086, Model 50, 60, 70, etc would have flash capabilities. Didn't flash come out in 1992 anyways?

krebizfan
January 11th, 2017, 11:08 PM
I don't know for certain if IBM did revisions within a given Model's existence. I suspect they did; there were a lot of bugs that are specific to only certain dates of production for the Model 80.

Flash: Isn't terminology reuse an awful thing? In this case, not NAND flash but an updated ROM chip. Some systems did ship with EPROM so an update was possible but I think most replacement planars shipped with a new ROM chip already installed.