PDA

View Full Version : Make offer for MPDOS Professional for Atari or Amiga

Rajni
December 19th, 2006, 09:08 PM
I have not put the MPDOS Professional for Atari nor the MPDOS Professional for Amiga on any auction sites yet. So let me know if anyone is interested and what they are willing to offer. You can email me at krishnasoft@gmail.com or post your offer here on this thread until December 31st, 2006. Details of MPDOS Professional are at: http://www.krishnasoft.com/sps.htm.

I'll start with $24.99 as starting price and I'll accept top 5 offers (Amiga version will just be $8 more). Here's some details regarding MPDOS Professional:

* Joystick simulation (2-button and single button)
* Digitized Paddle simulation (just extreme values)
* Allows for using PC joystick or keyboard to simulate Atari joystick
* Works with Atari 5200 (using Digital Joystick Adapter)
* Mouse simulation (for Amiga and Atari ST)
* Keyboard* simulation (Amiga and Atari 800/XL/XE)
* Includes easy to use parallel port cable (plug and play)
* Hardware level simulation (no drivers required except for Atari KB)
* Supports PC video overlay window
* Simple GUI interface for simulating peripherals
* On-line 100+ page manual with technical and general information
* Simulates up to 4 Atari disk drives (D1:, D2:, D3:, D4:)
* Simulates Atari cassette player (C:)
* KDOS4-- a fast binary file uploader
* Multimedia CDROM included (runs on PC and Atari using distributive programming)
* Built-in editor for creating Atari ASM and Atari BASIC source files
* 6502 Assembler (compile and upload directly to Atari)
* Sample source code
* DOS-based utilities including 6502 disassembler
The following is for Amiga version which has everything above plus these features:
* Easy to use DB25->IDC34 cable
* Simulates Amiga disk drives (DF0:, DF1:, DF2:, DF3:)
* Works simultaneously with cable provided with MPDOS Standard*
* Simulates Amiga disk drives with Amiga joystick*, mouse*, and keyboard*
* 680x0 Assembler (compile and upload directly to Amiga)
* Sample source code for compiling to an amiga image disk and amiga executable

Bill_Loguidice
December 20th, 2006, 07:48 AM
That sounds great and I like the idea behind the cables, but I must say I'm having a bit of a hard time wrapping my brain around the utility of the applications. Perhaps you can describe some typical user scenarios?

Rajni
December 21st, 2006, 01:49 PM
I started this project when I started having read/write errors on my floppy disks and my amiga mouse would hardly move (worn out). Now, I have almost my whole collection of amiga disks and atari disks as image disks on my Toshiba 4030CDT laptop. I have the parallel cable that comes with MPDOS hooked up to my Amiga and I can boot the amiga image disks using the disk drive simulator. The amiga thinks that the simulator on the PC is a real floppy disk drive. Similarly for the Atari, although the Atari requires a different cable since the connectors on the Atari end are different from the Amiga.

However, if you have a desktop computer you can put multiple parallel ports in the computer and use two parallel ports simulataneously to simulate all of the following:

Disk drives,
Joysticks,
Mice,
keyboards

for all of the following machines: Atari 400, Atari 800, Atari XL/XE series, Atari XEGS; Amiga 500, Amiga 1000, Amiga 2000, Amiga 3000, Amiga 4000.

All the devices are simulated at the hardware signal level so you don't need drivers on the Atari or Amiga end. The only exception is the Atari keyboard which does require a driver on the Atari end since it's an analog type of keyboard and cannot be simulated with digital signals coming from the parallel port. The amiga disk drive simulation is in read-only mode as the write mode using the Nyquist theory of sampling would require a parallel port of >2Mb/second which are not that common. I am still working on some algorithm to get the write mode to work consistently so I left it out of the current release of MPDOS 1.00.

Note that joystick and mouse simulation also work on all machines that support the atari type of DB9 joystick port like Atari ST machines, Commodore 64 machines, Sega 16 consoles, etc.

I forgot to mention that the Amiga version also includes the Multimedia CDROM that uses HAM (hold-and-modify) imagery converted from PC's HI-color images on-the-fly in real-time using 80x86 assembly language.

NathanAllan
December 21st, 2006, 04:57 PM
Okay, I have a question about a scenario. I have a 520ST with no floppy drive. Sitting next to it is a Toshiba CDT laptop with Win95. I have a cd full of programs and floppy images. More programs. Can the system use my laptop as a slave drive, simulated? Also, can the system provide networking? Either via modem or some kind of serial network?

Rajni
December 22nd, 2006, 02:36 PM
Currently, I do not have the cable to make disk simulation work with Atari ST although software would pretty much be similar to that which is working for Atari 8-bit machines and Amiga machines. You can go for the MPDOS Standard version which I have up on auction or from my website:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=320064614051&rd=1&rd=1

or

http://www.krishnasoft.com/sps.htm

The standard version does mouse and joystick simulation for Atari ST series as well as for Atari 8-bit machines and Amiga machines. It also does keyboard simulation for some machines. Your scenario would work if the machine was an Atari 8-bit machine or an Amiga machine. Modem simulation is not supported though.