DTK DATA-1000 Turbo XT clone

8088-2 ar 4.77 or 10 MHz
640 KB RAM
30MB Seagate ST-238 hard drive
1.2MB floppy drive
Datatech MFM controller
DTK HEXA I/O plus controller
Compudyne VGA800 video card

The computer give an error beep code but boots up. Code is long, short, long, short, long, short. Does this when stripped of all except video card. Anyone have an idea as to what is wrong?

I have tried several clock programs, but cannot access even after replacing the battery. Anyone know of a utility that will work?

I paid less the $100, so it is still a good buy.

Any information I can get about this setup I would appreciate.

Also, one game...King's Bounty, works from diskette, but locks up computer when run from hard drive. No idea why.

modem7
January 30th, 2017, 10:30 PM
I just bought this off of eBay:
So, eBay item 142228944531

The computer give an error beep code but boots up. Code is long, short, long, short, long, short. Does this when stripped of all except video card. Anyone have an idea as to what is wrong?
Unfortunately, there is no beep code standard.

The beeps can be generated by either the motherboard BIOS or the BIOS in your VGA card.

If the same beeps continue when you remove the VGA card, then:
- The motherboard BIOS is the source.
- It could be that the motherboard BIOS is complaining that it cannot find an MDA or CGA card to initialise. If switches 5 and 6 on the motherboard's switch block are not both on (required for a VGA card), try powering up the machine after setting both switches on.

If the same beeps are not heard when you remove the VGA card, then:
- It suggests that the BIOS in your VGA card is generating the beeps.
- A possible cause would be faulty RAM on the VGA card.

I have tried several clock programs, but cannot access even after replacing the battery. Anyone know of a utility that will work?
The photos in eBay item 112163239803 (for a Hexa I/O Plus card) reveal that the clock program supplied with the Hexa I/O Plus card was named TIMER.COM, a common name for a clock program.

At [here (http://minuszerodegrees.net/rtc.htm)] are quite a few clock programs, one of which may work (and not necessarily named TIMER.COM).
I suggest that you start trying the TIMER.COM programs in the "PC TIMER" section.
Then perhaps try "David_M's clock reader".

Any information I can get about this setup I would appreciate.
Switch/jumper settings for the Hexa I/O Plus card are at [here (http://th99.classic-computing.de/src/i/C-D/50213.htm)].

Assuming eBay item 142228944531, the motherboard is a DTK PIM-TB10. The user's manual is at [here (http://minuszerodegrees.net/manuals.htm#DTK)].

Also, one game...King's Bounty, works from diskette, but locks up computer when run from hard drive. No idea why.
Different version of DOS ?

KenEG
January 31st, 2017, 12:22 PM
So, eBay item 142228944531

Unfortunately, there is no beep code standard.

The beeps can be generated by either the motherboard BIOS or the BIOS in your VGA card.

If the same beeps continue when you remove the VGA card, then:
- The motherboard BIOS is the source.
- It could be that the motherboard BIOS is complaining that it cannot find an MDA or CGA card to initialise. If switches 5 and 6 on the motherboard's switch block are not both on (required for a VGA card), try powering up the machine after setting both switches on.

If the same beeps are not heard when you remove the VGA card, then:
- It suggests that the BIOS in your VGA card is generating the beeps.
- A possible cause would be faulty RAM on the VGA card.

The photos in eBay item 112163239803 (for a Hexa I/O Plus card) reveal that the clock program supplied with the Hexa I/O Plus card was named TIMER.COM, a common name for a clock program.

At [here (http://minuszerodegrees.net/rtc.htm)] are quite a few clock programs, one of which may work (and not necessarily named TIMER.COM).
I suggest that you start trying the TIMER.COM programs in the "PC TIMER" section.
Then perhaps try "David_M's clock reader".

Switch/jumper settings for the Hexa I/O Plus card are at [here (http://th99.classic-computing.de/src/i/C-D/50213.htm)].

Assuming eBay item 142228944531, the motherboard is a DTK PIM-TB10. The user's manual is at [here (http://minuszerodegrees.net/manuals.htm#DTK)].

Different version of DOS ?

I fixed the beeping yesterday by turning switch 6 on.

Thanks for the links to useful information!

I will try to find the right timer.com, I think I tried david_M's clock reader. I know I tried one that was supposed to work for nearly all clock chips. Didn't work for mine. I don't understand the clock jumper. Is it changing the i/o port location of the clock? I will collect a few clock utilaties and, if none of them work, I will try changing the setting.

On the game program, no difference in DOS because I boot from the hard drive. My guess is that something in the initialization of the game messes up the hard drive controller. I will probably just play from floppies. I may add an XT-IDE later to preserve the vintage 30 meg MFM drive. If I do, I will test again.

Formulator
January 31st, 2017, 05:20 PM
I have same model.

It also has HEXA I/O card. If you still need clock driver I can send, just let me know.

This image has ATI Wonder+ VGA I used for testing, but now has Paradise EGA.

KenEG
January 31st, 2017, 06:43 PM
I have same model.

It also has HEXA I/O card. If you still need clock driver I can send, just let me know.

This image has ATI Wonder+ VGA I used for testing, but now has Paradise EGA.

Thanks, I sent you a private message with my email address. Yes, that is what I have, except mine has MFM controller and 30MB drive. I notice you have a drive that takes USB drives in yours. What capacities does it support? I was thinking about adding a 1.44 mb floppy to mine. If that doesn't work, I have a 720 kb drive. I also have a 1.44 backpack drive on my PCjr I can share between the two. I may someday add an XT-IDE to save the MFM drive. What are your plans for yours.

KenEG
February 1st, 2017, 04:56 PM
I got my Sound Blaster Vibea 16 from eBay today. Plug and play card, but I found CT4170.zip on this forum. Put "set blaster=a220 i7 d1" in autoexe.bat and then ran ct4170.exe ... computer locked up, but I noticed it was setting the high interrupt to 5. I know the hard drive controller uses that, so I tried "set blaster=a220 i7 d1 h2" ... success! It has no amplifier, but my VGA monitor has build in speakers, so no problem. Set the volume up and tried a couple of games. Stellar7 has digitized voice using sound blaster mode. King's Quest IV uses Adlib mode and the music sounds great! This setup is now very similar to my first PC ... A Commodore Colt with a 20mb drive, VGA, and Adlib later upgraded to sound blaster. If I can get the clock to work, I will be done...for now. LOL

Formulator
February 1st, 2017, 06:36 PM
To append to this thread it should be known that the clock drivers:

SETCLOCK.EXE (9/6/88 )
GETCLOCK.EXE (1/26/87)

from the DFI MIO-100/200 controller card driver diskette are fully compatible with the HEXA I/O PLUS controller card.

Casey
February 3rd, 2017, 07:08 PM
To pick a small nit, if you really have an ST-238 30Mb hard drive, it is using RLL encoding. If it is formatted with an MFM controller, it only has a capacity of 20Mb and is functionally similar to an ST-225.

Given that the drive seems to be working, I conclude your controller is RLL. :)

KenEG
February 3rd, 2017, 08:03 PM
I simply typed in the eBay description. The guy may not have been very knowledgeable. I have to check, but I think the floppy is a 360 kb, not a 1.2 MB.

Formulator
February 3rd, 2017, 10:29 PM
Given that the drive seems to be working, I conclude your controller is RLL.

There was Seagate ST11R RLL / ST-225R in my system originally.

Thanks, I sent you a private message with my email address.

Please see response with link.

I notice you have a drive that takes USB drives in yours. What capacities does it support?

It is standard Gotek USB floppy emulator modified with HxC firmware to include other common MFM formats, of which 360K/720K are useful for this system as is.

What are your plans for yours?

I use mostly for use with the Gotek, floppy image creation/emulation testing, etc.

I also find handy feature to have turbo button on front of unit.

KenEG
February 4th, 2017, 09:32 AM
I solved the clock problem. The jumper wasn't on either setting. Now I have to figure out the com ports. I thought I had it, but the port doesn't seem to work. Is there a utility that will list ports and setting for DOS 3.2?

KenEG
February 4th, 2017, 09:34 AM
Oh, and I checked while I had it open. The drive is a 360kb and the hard drive controller is RLL.

modem7
February 4th, 2017, 05:18 PM
Now I have to figure out the com ports. I thought I had it, but the port doesn't seem to work. Is there a utility that will list ports and setting for DOS 3.2?
First: port at 3F8, using interrupt 4
Second: port at 2F8, using interrupt 3

To quickly see what serial ports the machine's POST found at power-up time, one option is to use DEBUG to inspect the BIOS Data Area (BDA), per [here (http://minuszerodegrees.net/images4/serial_parallel_ports_in_bda.jpg)].
When DOS then loads, DOS notes the ports recorded in the BDA, and assigns labels to them of COM1 and COM2, per [here (http://minuszerodegrees.net/images2/dos_assignment_of_com1_com2.jpg)].

If you want to go beyond that, utilities such as CheckIt (http://minuszerodegrees.net/software/software.htm) will list serial ports, and optionally check them.

KenEG
February 4th, 2017, 06:18 PM
First: port at 3F8, using interrupt 4
Second: port at 2F8, using interrupt 3

To quickly see what serial ports the machine's POST found at power-up time, one option is to use DEBUG to inspect the BIOS Data Area (BDA), per [here (http://minuszerodegrees.net/images4/serial_parallel_ports_in_bda.jpg)].
When DOS then loads, DOS notes the ports recorded in the BDA, and assigns labels to them of COM1 and COM2, per [here (http://minuszerodegrees.net/images2/dos_assignment_of_com1_com2.jpg)].

If you want to go beyond that, utilities such as CheckIt (http://minuszerodegrees.net/software/software.htm) will list serial ports, and optionally check them.

Thanks, that will help. It seems to be set to com2 with the interrupt usually set for com1. I think that is confusing the mouse driver.

Formulator
February 4th, 2017, 07:30 PM
Here is image of HEXA I/O with COM ports enabled:

http://i.imgur.com/YNKb5WY.png

Stone
February 5th, 2017, 03:05 AM
If you want to go beyond that, utilities such as CheckIt (http://minuszerodegrees.net/software/software.htm) will list serial ports, and optionally check them.That does a partial check of the serial ports. If you want it to do a thorough check you need to insert a serial loopback plug.

KenEG
February 5th, 2017, 04:17 AM
That does a partial check of the serial ports. If you want it to do a thorough check you need to insert a serial loopback plug.

Thanks guys. That is very helpful, especially the picture. I seem to be missing some jumper blocks. Even using the block from the game port, I don't have enough to do that. I will get some more. Right now I seem to have the com2 port setting with the com1 interrupt. That is probably confusing the program I am using to test it.

KenEG
February 5th, 2017, 01:57 PM
Here is image of HEXA I/O with COM ports enabled:

http://i.imgur.com/YNKb5WY.png

Your picture seems at odds with what the card documentation says ... but it works when I set it your way!

Had to borrow the game and parallel port jumpers. I have some ordered, but I won't be using the game port and don't need the parallel port right now. Played a card game using the mouse and it worked perfectly.

Casey
February 6th, 2017, 02:24 PM
They made an ST-225R? Who knew?

I have the ST-11 (not RLL) in one of my Zenith machines.

Casey
February 6th, 2017, 02:56 PM
Besides the utilities already listed, there's QuarterDeck Manifest, as well as MSD.EXE from MicroSoft. Wasn't shipped until v6 apparently.

Formulator
February 6th, 2017, 05:43 PM
They made an ST-225R? Who knew?

http://i.imgur.com/sKu8THw.png

http://i.imgur.com/ZierrHk.png

KenEG
February 11th, 2017, 02:39 PM
I got my XTIDE a few days ago and installed it today. It doesn't play nice with the RLL drive. Couldn't boot to anything other than A with both in system. Pulled RLL card and booted from floppy to partion and format using DOS 5.0. Put RLL back in and booted to floppy. Could see both drives so I copied everything from the SR238R to the DOM on the XTIDE. Then I removed the RLL controller again and can boot from and use the DOM. does fnyone know if the XTIDE and a RLL drive can coexist? Not really important to me as I don't intend to do that. Just curious. Next will be to try to add a CF adapter once it and a gender changer arrive. I also need to extend the hard drive indicator cable. It won't reach the XTIDE connector.

KenEG
February 19th, 2017, 04:04 AM
I found out something neat about this computer. I have been trying to play the original King's Bounty on it, but the game lord VI's up the computer when loaded from the RLL drive or a DOM connected to an XTIDE Rev3.

I think I may have found the cause of the lock ups when trying to play King's Bounty on the DTK DATA-1000. It has some special sound circuitry as described in this patent "Binary system for generating sound US 5054086 A". I noticed that when I got the game to play from floppies there is music where I get clicks on the PCjr. The music is coming from the PC speaker, not the ones hooked to the soundblaster. I did a Google search on "DTK DATA-1000 sound" and the patent came up. The problem is that I have no idea what ports, interrupt, and memory it is using.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Trixter
February 19th, 2017, 09:06 AM
If the patent you found was https://www.google.com/patents/US5054086 then that's another Steve Witzel patent for "RealSound" and does not indicate specialized sound hardware.

KenEG
February 19th, 2017, 10:34 AM
If the patent you found was https://www.google.com/patents/US5054086 then that's another Steve Witzel patent for "RealSound" and does not indicate specialized sound hardware.

Ok, but it specifically mentions the DTK DATA-1000. Also, the motherboard manual that someone provided a link to earlier in this thread seems to indicate some special hardware. If I had another brand of PC-XT compatible I would try it to see if it also plays notes through the built in speaker. If it is just Realsound, why doesn't the PCjr play it?

I'm not trying to argue with you, I just don't understand.

KenEG
February 19th, 2017, 10:41 AM
Ok, I read the Wikipedia page for Realsound. Is there anything about it that might interfere with the XTIDE And RLL controllers causing the lock-ups when loading from them?

Trixter
February 19th, 2017, 11:14 AM
Ok, but it specifically mentions the DTK DATA-1000.

As an example.

Also, the motherboard manual that someone provided a link to earlier in this thread seems to indicate some special hardware.

No, that's the same common speaker circuit on all PC motherboards.

If it is just Realsound, why doesn't the PCjr play it?

The programmers never tested on a PCjr, probably. Bug in the code.

Ok, I read the Wikipedia page for Realsound. Is there anything about it that might interfere with the XTIDE And RLL controllers causing the lock-ups when loading from them?

No. I've even run a PC speaker digitized audio player that streams from a file on a hard drive in real time and that worked fine too.

You seem to think the problem is with the pc speaker, or realsound, or the hard drive controller... the much more likely candidates for the trouble are that 1. The DTK and the PCjr are clones, and clones sometimes had compatibility problems, and 2. King's Bounty might not have been programmed very well. These are much more likely scenarios. I just ran the game on an XT off of a hard drive and it runs just fine, and it plays regular PC beeping, nothing fancy.

Try playing Mean Streets or World Class Leader Board, both are games written by Access, support CGA, and use "realsound" techniques. See if those exhibit the same problems as King's Bounty.

KenEG
February 19th, 2017, 01:43 PM
As an example.

No, that's the same common speaker circuit on all PC motherboards.

The programmers never tested on a PCjr, probably. Bug in the code.

No. I've even run a PC speaker digitized audio player that streams from a file on a hard drive in real time and that worked fine too.

You seem to think the problem is with the pc speaker, or realsound, or the hard drive controller... the much more likely candidates for the trouble are that 1. The DTK and the PCjr are clones, and clones sometimes had compatibility problems, and 2. King's Bounty might not have been programmed very well. These are much more likely scenarios. I just ran the game on an XT off of a hard drive and it runs just fine, and it plays regular PC beeping, nothing fancy.

Try playing Mean Streets or World Class Leader Board, both are games written by Access, support CGA, and use "realsound" techniques. See if those exhibit the same problems as King's Bounty.

Ok, thanks for the suggestions. I am grasping at straws at this point as to why it doesn't work off the hard drive. Probably something to do with the drive controllers. When I had the RLL controller in, it wouldn't even play from floppies. Now with the XTIDE it plays from floppies great, but not from the DOM on the XTIDE.

I am going to move on to other things like a 3.5" drive and adding a CF reader to the XTIDE. The game will easily fit on a 720k diskette, so I can always play it that way or just keep using the Jr.

Is there a way to get a reliable EMS card that doesn't require SMT? The only kit I've seen has SMT components and doesn't seem to have a high success rate on builds.

Trixter
February 19th, 2017, 07:43 PM
Is there a way to get a reliable EMS card that doesn't require SMT? The only kit I've seen has SMT components and doesn't seem to have a high success rate on builds.

An original card, like the Intel Aboveboard. But if all you have access to are 8086-based systems, there isn't much point to installing EMS. Lotus 1-2-3, Turbo Pascal, Geoworks Ensemble, Norton Cache, and Windows 3.0 in real mode (which is nearly useless) are about the only useful pieces of software that can both run on an 808x system as well as take advantage of EMS in a way that actually helps.

KenEG
March 22nd, 2017, 04:55 PM
An original card, like the Intel Aboveboard. But if all you have access to are 8086-based systems, there isn't much point to installing EMS. Lotus 1-2-3, Turbo Pascal, Geoworks Ensemble, Norton Cache, and Windows 3.0 in real mode (which is nearly useless) are about the only useful pieces of software that can both run on an 808x system as well as take advantage of EMS in a way that actually helps.

I finally had some time tonight to work on this. Installed a 10 MHz V20 and 3.5" drive. The drive only works as a 720kb right now. I will try using drivparm to see if I can get it to work at 1.44mb.

I tried King's Bounty again. Still won't work if all files are on the same drive. Even the 3.5". Weird. I have a 286 computer coming off eBay. Maybe it will work better on that. On a positive note. I scored a Soundblaster Pro 2 off eBay today for $45, free shipping. It should work good in this computer. More appropriate than the Vibra 16 I have in it now.

AlexC
March 22nd, 2017, 05:54 PM
The drive only works as a 720kb right now. I will try using drivparm to see if I can get it to work at 1.44mb.

If you use 2M-XBIOS.EXE from the 2M high-capacity floppy formatting package you may be able to use the drive as a 1.44MB one. It depends if the controller itself can handle the higher data rate. Some can, some can't. If yours doesn't, you can disable/remove it (or just the controller chip) and use a standard 16-bit IDE/floppy card in an 8-bit slot and connect the floppy drives to that, though it may cause issues with some of your other components.

KenEG
March 22nd, 2017, 07:14 PM
If you use 2M-XBIOS.EXE from the 2M high-capacity floppy formatting package you may be able to use the drive as a 1.44MB one. It depends if the controller itself can handle the higher data rate. Some can, some can't. If yours doesn't, you can disable/remove it (or just the controller chip) and use a standard 16-bit IDE/floppy card in an 8-bit slot and connect the floppy drives to that, though it may cause issues with some of your other components.

Thanks for the information. Drivparm didn't work, so I will try 2M-XBIOS.EXE when I have some time.

KenEG
March 26th, 2017, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the information. Drivparm didn't work, so I will try 2M-XBIOS.EXE when I have some time.

Tried 2M-XBIOS.EXE. I would need another floppy controller for it to work. I have a 1.44 mb backpack drive on my PCjr and a parallel port switch. I will get some cables and hook that up.

KenEG
April 7th, 2017, 08:26 PM
I finally had some time tonight to work on this. Installed a 10 MHz V20 and 3.5" drive. The drive only works as a 720kb right now. I will try using drivparm to see if I can get it to work at 1.44mb.

I tried King's Bounty again. Still won't work if all files are on the same drive. Even the 3.5". Weird. I have a 286 computer coming off eBay. Maybe it will work better on that. On a positive note. I scored a Soundblaster Pro 2 off eBay today for $45, free shipping. It should work good in this computer. More appropriate than the Vibra 16 I have in it now.

Finally got the 286 computer working tonight. King's Bounty plays fine from the hard drive on it. So there is definitely something strange about the DTK DATA-1000. The game plays much better on the 286 anyhow. :-)

KenEG
April 21st, 2017, 10:39 AM
This computer has a Phoenix/ERSO BIOS in it. How would I find the latest BIOS for it? I think mine is 2.36.

Chuck(G)
April 21st, 2017, 11:05 AM
ERSO != Phoenix. ERSO was the product of the Taiwanese government-sponsored effort to legally clone the IBM BIOS. Phoenix Technology is a US-based outfit that really legitimized the BIOS-cloning business. Since you have a generic (more or less) DTK (which is an ERSO spinoff) 8088 system, just about any ERSO BIOS will work.

Specifically, what were you interested in doing?

KenEG
April 21st, 2017, 04:26 PM
ERSO != Phoenix. ERSO was the product of the Taiwanese government-sponsored effort to legally clone the IBM BIOS. Phoenix Technology is a US-based outfit that really legitimized the BIOS-cloning business. Since you have a generic (more or less) DTK (which is an ERSO spinoff) 8088 system, just about any ERSO BIOS will work.

Specifically, what were you interested in doing?

There are compatibility issues. I was hoping a newer BIOS would be more compatible.

Chuck(G)
April 21st, 2017, 04:46 PM
Exactly what issues? I have a collection of 8088 clone BIOSes.

KenEG
April 22nd, 2017, 04:02 AM
Exactly what issues? I have a collection of 8088 clone BIOSes.

So far, just a game that doesn't load right. Not a big deal since it works on other systems, but it shows that there is an issue.

Stone
April 22nd, 2017, 04:17 AM
So far, just a game that doesn't load right. Not a big deal since it works on other systems, but it shows that there is an issue.What's the game?

What makes you think it's a BIOS issue?

I'm sure the BIOS isn't the only component on the DTK system that isn't the same as the others.

KenEG
April 22nd, 2017, 12:44 PM
What's the game?

What makes you think it's a BIOS issue?

I'm sure the BIOS isn't the only component on the DTK system that isn't the same as the others.

On my PCjr, 386 desktop, and 486 laptop the game can be played from hard drive on on same 720 k or 1.44 mb floppy. On the DTK, it locks up the computer if all of the files are on the same drive. It did this on the original RLL drive, now on the DOM on the XTIDE, or on a 720 KB floppy. The only other component in common would be the VGA card, and that seems unlikely. If the game has to ask for the save diskette, it works fine.

Stone
April 22nd, 2017, 02:05 PM
You still didn't tell us what game it is.

Does the PCjr have a hard drive or 720K or 1.44MB drive or VGA?

Don't forget there are motherboard components that could be causing this other than the BIOS.

KenEG
April 22nd, 2017, 05:13 PM
You still didn't tell us what game it is.

Does the PCjr have a hard drive or 720K or 1.44MB drive or VGA?

Don't forget there are motherboard components that could be causing this other than the BIOS.

The original King's Bounty. The PCjr has a jrIDE with 1mb DOM, a V20, and the Tandy mod. I put a V20 in the Data-1000. That didn't help.

Chuck(G)
April 22nd, 2017, 05:45 PM
What makes you think it's a BIOS issue? If you want to try the real thing, there's the echt IBM XT BIOS image at minuszerodegrees.net (http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/bios/bios.htm). While you won't get your "turbo" keyboard switch, it should work otherwise. (It's pretty easy to write a little program to switch to turbo and back).

KenEG
May 16th, 2017, 05:13 PM
I recently bought the first Heroes of Might and Msgic CD from eBay. It has a version of King's Bounty on it that has no copy protection. I copied it to this computer and it runs from the DOM. So whatever the issue was, they fixed it at some point. It actually plays fairly well on a Turbo XT. I use this a demo of the diffence in speed of the various machines. It now is on my PCjr, DTK Data-1000, 386 machine, and 75 MHz Pentium machine. I need to try it on my newer machines some day.

Formulator
May 17th, 2017, 07:47 AM
I don't think original King's Bounty had copy protection, I have the 360K x 2 set (7/23/1990) and has no protection. I did try running on three different XT machines with no success. However it does run on PCE. Still, it is good that you found version that works on your machine.

KenEG
May 17th, 2017, 12:38 PM
I don't think original King's Bounty had copy protection, I have the 360K x 2 set (7/23/1990) and has no protection. I did try running on three different XT machines with no success. However it does run on PCE. Still, it is good that you found version that works on your machine.

By copy protection I mean it gives you a page, line, and word from the manual to look up and type in.