PDA

View Full Version : IBM Dials, LPFK & Spaceball

chulofiasco
January 31st, 2017, 04:04 PM
Hey Guys,

Anyone have any useful info on the following IBM parts?

6094-010: Dials
6094-020: LPFK
6094-030: Spaceball

Would seem that 010 & 020 require a special cable to interface with the PS/2 and some 120V A/C Adapter.

Spaceball requires only a cable?

Any kind of documentation, cable pin-out and AC adapter power specs would be appreciated. As would option disk images or related...

What do we think?

KC9UDX
January 31st, 2017, 04:14 PM
I've got a Spaceball that looks like that sans the IBM logos. I didn't even know IBM had anything to do with them.

Mine is RS-232, nothing special about the cable. I have no idea what kind of software that runs on a PS/2 that supports them. AutoCAD, perhaps? Everything I've ever used with them has support built into the software package. There's some software that comes with them, I probably have it, but have never used it.

hornbetw
January 31st, 2017, 06:08 PM
The Spaceballs were private labelled for a number of companies including IBM & HP. They should work with the normal Spaceball drivers.

Tom

chulofiasco
January 31st, 2017, 06:23 PM
Tom, do you have DOS/Win3.1x/95/NT drivers for the Spaceball?

The IBM version seems to be a Spaceball 2000

chulofiasco
January 31st, 2017, 06:34 PM
I've got a Spaceball that looks like that sans the IBM logos. I didn't even know IBM had anything to do with them.

Mine is RS-232, nothing special about the cable. I have no idea what kind of software that runs on a PS/2 that supports them. AutoCAD, perhaps? Everything I've ever used with them has support built into the software package. There's some software that comes with them, I probably have it, but have never used it.

A Spaceball 2000 variant ?

KC9UDX
January 31st, 2017, 07:11 PM
A Spaceball 2000 variant ?

Not sure. I actually have probably two dozen of the things of varying size and shape. Some that look like the one mentioned above, some not. Mine might be Sun labeled, I'll have to look.

chulofiasco
January 31st, 2017, 07:28 PM
Not sure. I actually have probably two dozen of the things of varying size and shape. Some that look like the one mentioned above, some not. Mine might be Sun labeled, I'll have to look.

Any light you can shed on the peculiar beast could be helpful. :)

KC9UDX
January 31st, 2017, 07:59 PM
Any light you can shed on the peculiar beast could be helpful. :)

Until I unearth them, all I can say is that we used to use them for CADDS 5 on Sparc hardware. I think I used one with Cimatron Elite on Windows, also, maybe. It's been at least 15 years..!

gslick
January 31st, 2017, 09:05 PM
Maybe these links might be helpful for the LPFK

http://www.philpem.me.uk/code/liblpfk/
http://www.brutman.com/IBM_LPFK/IBM_LPFK.html

chulofiasco
February 2nd, 2017, 10:21 AM
Thanks, I checked those out -- useful info indeed !

Mr. Brutman -- any additional insight on these devices since your last work with them in 2008? Also, can you provide some specs on the AC adapter? I found one in Canada, but the mo'fo quoted me $264 for a plug... Needless to say, I will not be picking it up. LMFAO

As the Spaceball is a member of the 6094 family, might the adapter be similar?

Shit, I don't even know what it's going to do on my 95 if I can get them connected and powered up... that Spaceball, if there's a way to operate her as a joystick would be quite exciting.

chulofiasco
February 2nd, 2017, 11:34 AM
This is the AC adapter.

I imagine, like the 6093 Tablet, there will be a power connector on the PC side, on the reverse side of the serial connector, with an 8-pin mini din that would connect on the 6094 device side, but of course, speculation.

chulofiasco
February 2nd, 2017, 11:47 AM
39F8224 Diagnostic Diskette; 3.5-inch diagnostic diskette
that MUST be used when attaching the 6094-010 Dials
or the 6094-020 LPFK to any model of the IBM PC or
PS/2 with a 3.5-inch disk drive.

39F8225 Diagnostic Diskette; 5.25-inch diagnostic diskette
that MUST be used when attaching the 6094-010 Dials
or the 6094-020 LPFK to any model of the IBM PC
with a 5.25-inch disk drive.

mbbrutman
February 3rd, 2017, 08:26 AM
What do you need - just the pinout on the power supply?

I'll dig mine out and see what I can do.

chulofiasco
February 3rd, 2017, 01:23 PM
What do you need - just the pinout on the power supply?

I'll dig mine out and see what I can do.

I've got the pinout for the power supply -- i was thinking of butchering some usb mice to make a usb wall chunk powered adapter.. what about the software for the PS/2 to make it work? The announcement letter indicated there was a diagnostic disk required or some nonsense... never a simple thing with big blue... lmfao

mbbrutman
February 3rd, 2017, 04:46 PM
I don't have software; I just wrote a small C program to send the codes over the serial port to turn lights on and off. Reading from the serial port will tell you what was pressed last.

chulofiasco
February 3rd, 2017, 04:54 PM
I don't have software; I just wrote a small C program to send the codes over the serial port to turn lights on and off. Reading from the serial port will tell you what was pressed last.

Can you assign functions to the buttons?

hornbetw
February 4th, 2017, 06:25 PM
Sorry about the late reply, I haven't read the forums in a few days. I only have the Linux driver for the SpaceBall. I picked up a couple a few years ago when my former employer was shutting down the facility I worked at. Picked up 4 or 5 total, 2 or 3 NIB SpaceBall 4000s. I plan on trying one with FreeCAD one of these days.

Tom

mbbrutman
February 4th, 2017, 06:52 PM
Can you assign functions to the buttons?

It's not a keyboard - it's just a serial device. If you write to it you can turn lights on. If you read from it you can figure out what button was pressed.

To assign functions to buttons you need a program that knows how to talk to the LPFK and take appropriate action when a particular button is pressed. If you want something more generic for every day use a TSR that monitors the serial port and injects key strokes into the keyboard BIOS buffer would work, kind of like the old TSRs that gave you keyboard macros. But I don't know of any such program for the LPFK - you'd have to write it.

chulofiasco
February 5th, 2017, 09:55 AM
Well... that sounds like an interesting adventure... I realized the remote possibility of writing my own existed, but didn't want to seriously consider it until I explored what other existing soloutions might already be present.

That being said, do you think one could build off of the cutemouse driver source to expand on the features of the 6094 devices ? http://cutemouse.sourceforge.net

I found this guy on YouTube that was using dials as a midi device, he has a site, its in German though, and I didn't see a download for the program he was using. I sent him an email, maybe he'll get back to me... http://diyftw.de/wiki/doku.php?id=projekte:ibm_dials_6094_010

chulofiasco
February 5th, 2017, 05:56 PM
http://www.ece.ul.ie/homepage/tom_newe/Modules/CE4204/advdos-Duncan.pdf

This seems useful for a starting point..