PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own a C2N232?

Ral-Clan
February 1st, 2017, 01:10 PM
Hi, does anyone else here own a C2n232 designed by Marko Makela?

http://www.ktverkko.fi/~msmakela/8bit/c2n232/index.en.html

I bought one about ten years ago, but didn't really need it at the time. Now that I have a working PET, I've been successful transferring with datasette and sneaker-net. However, I want to use the C2N with to transfer programs into my PET, as it is faster.

I just can't figure out how it works. I've re-read all the documentation about a dozen times, and scoured the net for other information.

For instance, the page says the easiest way to get it working is:

2.1.1 The easiest way: c2nload

Hold the SHIFT key down and press STOP, or type LOAD and press RETURN.
The Commodore responds with the message PRESS PLAY ON TAPE.
On the "big computer", start the transfer as follows. You may want to adjust the file name, the name of the serial device and the computer model.

Commodore AmigaOS:
c2nload -c serial.device -m 64 file.prg

Microsoft Windows:
c2nload -c com1 -m 64 file.prg

Unix:
c2nload -c /dev/ttyS0 -m 64 file.prg

The Commodore blanks the screen.
The Commodore responds with the message FOUND FILE.PRG.
Press the C= key immediately or hold it down until the FOUND message flashes on the screen, so that the computer will not miss the rest of the program, as the C2N232 ignores the motor control signal. Do not press the space bar, or the computer may skip the rest and look for the next program header.

Tried that, but my PET just sits there saying "PRESS PLAY ON TAPE #1".

Is there supposed to be some software running on the PET side to make this thing work? If so, it's not mentioned in the documentation.

I've also tried the software C2N, but it doesn't work either.

http://www.ktverkko.fi/~msmakela/8bit/c2n/index.en.html

If anyone has been successful using this, and can help explain to me what I'm missing, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks! The steps above also mention pressing the Commodore key, which of course the PET doesn't have.
I'm using the Windows method (I have the PET hooked to an old IBM Thinkpad laptop).

KC9UDX
February 1st, 2017, 01:53 PM
The instructions sort of imply that you should be running something on the PET, on one hand. On the other hand they imply you don't.

I assume you don't. Have you used port 1 before? If not, maybe try the other one.

Ral-Clan
February 1st, 2017, 06:24 PM
The instructions sort of imply that you should be running something on the PET, on one hand. On the other hand they imply you don't.

I assume you don't. Have you used port 1 before? If not, maybe try the other one.

Figured it out....needed to use an older version of the C2NLOAD software, as I must have an early version of the C2N232 device. I needed v1.0.4.