PDA

View Full Version : Cp/m 2.2 submit

Mike_Z
February 3rd, 2017, 07:45 AM
Now that my CP/M 2.2 disk drives are back in service and working fine, I have started to do some programming again. Since I'm still rather new at CP/M I thought I'd experiment a little. I was reading about SUBMIT and XSUB. So I thought I'd try SUBMIT. I wrote a simple TEST.SUB that only contained the command DIR. Then at the A> I entered SUBMIT TEST The A drive did some blinking then a warm boot occurred without the DIR command being executed. I figured that maybe my SUBMIT program was corrupt. I found another copy and tried that, but the same results. I was wondering if I have the CP/M 2.2 SUBMIT? Maybe I was using CP/M 3.0? How would I tell whether or not I have the correct SUBMIT program.? Does it make a difference? Or am I doing something else wrong? Thanks for the help, --- Mike

Mike_Z
February 3rd, 2017, 08:57 AM
Well.... I figured it out. I had thought that I only had DIR in the TEST.SUB file, but I actually had a couple of carriage returns after the DIR, instead of just one. Don't know why this caused the failure, but it did. After removing the extra CR's. The Submit worked fine. Next I want to test ERA *.* --- this will need a used response to the delete all question. I suspect that the XSUB will be needed for that? Mike

Mike_Z
February 3rd, 2017, 09:46 AM
Say.... this works pretty neat! Here is my TEST.SUB

XSUB
PIP B:=A:PIP.COM[V]
STAT B:*.*
ERA B:*.*
Y
STAT B:*.*

Then I ran SUMBIT TEST --- this is what happened. The A drive did some work, probably created the $$$.SUB file, then warm booted

A>XSUB
Xsub Already Present
A>PIP B:=A:PIP.COM[V]

When PIP completed another warm boot occurred

A>STAT B:*.*
Recs Bytes Ext Acc
58 8k 1 R/W B:PIP.COM
Bytes remaining on B: 233K

A>ERA B:*.*
ALL (Y/N)?Y

A>STAT B:*.*

File not found

A>

I figure I can do a over and over drive test with this. I can write a bunch of files from drive to the other, then erase them all and do this over and over again, looking for the drive errors I had in the recent past weeks. Mike

JonB
February 3rd, 2017, 11:40 AM
What you might consider is that you are not reading the files back and checking them to make sure they are exactly the same as the original. I asked on another thread whether such a tool existed but it looks like it doesn't. I think I'll have to write one...

Mike_Z
February 3rd, 2017, 12:18 PM
Jon, that's not entirely correct. The [V] option of PIP verifies that the copied file has been copied corrected by comparing the files right after it was written. Mike

JonB
February 3rd, 2017, 09:50 PM
Ah, nice one! Now I can test my IDE driver! Thanks! :)

Mike_Z
February 4th, 2017, 08:37 AM
Today I did some experimenting with SUBMIT on my new revived disk drives, in an effort to test and look for Sector errors. Recently, I had a LOT of trouble with the drives. This turned out to be mainly, problems with my head pads and the FDC drive parameters. So to do a test, I wrote the following TEST.SUB to be used with SUBMIT.

XSUB
Y
PIP B:=A:*.*[V]
Y
Y
Y

I had drive A: filled with files so there would be many reads and writes. I started out and was a little disappointed in that I had a couple of BDOS sector errors. But then I noticed the error occurred on the same file each time. Then I changed the media in drive B: and retested. This time the test ran through completely with out any errors. I suppose that the 1st disk must or may have a problem sector. I want to re format it and try again, along with testing other disks, but probably tomorrow. I have to go look at a 1927 Model T this afternoon. Mike

Mike_Z
February 6th, 2017, 06:56 AM
Well.... turns out I have a bad, brand new disk. I purchased a box of ten 8" disk from Athana floppy disks and the last one out of the box has two bad tracks on it. I tried more than a dozen times to format it with IMD, 22DISK and ANADISK, in three different drives and the 46 & 48 tracks have errors that will not go away. The good news is that the other disks all seem to work no matter how many times I copy files and verify them. Since I have single sided drives, I may try to pop a new index hole in the cover and see if this disk will work upside down. By the way the '27 Model T was pretty rough, but we bought it anyway. The guy just wanted to move it off his farm, so here is another project. Thanks for the help Mike.