PDA

View Full Version : IBM PC XT 286 - Cannot remove drive bay

Old_hitech
February 4th, 2017, 06:12 AM
I have repaired many different PCs over the years, but I have an IBM PC XT 286 that needs to have the 5.25 drive repaired or replaced. The 5.25 is connected to the 3.5 drive with a bracket and I can not remove the drives. I have tried pulling them through the front but it seems that something beneath the drives is stopping the drives from being removed. I have tried pushing them through the inside of the computer, but the 3.5 drive front panel does not allow the drive to pass through the opening in the front of the chassis. Does any have a manual that shows how to properly remove the drives from the drive bay? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

amouse
February 4th, 2017, 05:52 PM
I'm sorry to provide this pathetic reply but as a PC XT 286 owner I can confess that some years ago I had a similar problem.

Dont recall how I solved it but my 286 is about 1 metre away from me now and it has a 3.5" left and replacement 5.25" on the right no problem.

So keep it up.

regards mb.

lutiana
February 4th, 2017, 06:06 PM
Mine had a plastic bracket that was snapped on the front, a thin bezel. I had to carefully remove that, then slide the entire drive assembly back and then lift it up and out of the case. Took a few minutes to work this out, so I feel your pain.

krebizfan
February 4th, 2017, 06:11 PM
I think there is a screw on the bottom of the drive mounting.

gslick
February 4th, 2017, 06:22 PM
On my IBM PC XT 286 there is a screw on the bottom down inside a recess underneath the drive bays that I had to remove to get the drives out. If you haven't flipped the case over and removed that screw then try doing that. I forget if that screw is for the floppy drives or the hard drive, I just remember I had to remove it to get something out and it took a while to notice that screw.

lutiana
February 4th, 2017, 06:25 PM
On my IBM PC XT 286 there is a screw on the bottom down inside a recess underneath the drive bays that I had to remove to get the drives out. If you haven't flipped the case over and removed that screw then try doing that. I forget if that screw is for the floppy drives or the hard drive, I just remember I had to remove it to get something out and it took a while to notice that screw.

There are two screws under there, one for the HDD and one for the floppy. I assumed the OP had undone these since he seems to imply that the drives are loose, they just won't come out.