PDA

View Full Version : "Chuck Jones: Space Cop of the Future", New adventure game for DOS! (in development)

PgrAm
February 5th, 2017, 12:33 PM
Hey guys,

Over the past couple months I've been working on building a new point-and-click adventure game for dos from scratch. The name of the game is: "Chuck Jones: Space Cop of the Future".

In the game you control Detective Chuck Jones (no relation to the animator of the same name), a rough and tumble LA cop in the year 1976. While involved in a highspeed chase you have a car accident and are heavily wounded. To avoid death you are cryogenically frozen, many years in the future you are unfrozen and must track down and apprehend a dangerous criminal in a strange time by flying around the galaxy in your rocket powered El Camino, meeting interesting characters and solving puzzles.

Screenshots:

Screenshots Copyright (c) 2017 Jake S. Del Mastro

At this time the game is still in development but I would like to hear very much what you guys think about it and I will answer any questions you have, including technical/programming related.

The requirements at this point are:

16 Mhz 286 (probably works on a slower one but I don't have a slower 286 to test)
VGA graphics
Adlib or SoundBlaster Card
640k of RAM
MS-DOS 3.3

Additionally I plan to add support for PC speaker music and MT-32, an Amiga port is also something I would like to do if I can.

Plasma
February 5th, 2017, 05:26 PM
Diggin the El Camino spaceship.

offensive_Jerk
February 5th, 2017, 05:38 PM
Lookin' good!
I'd try it out for sure.

SpidersWeb
February 5th, 2017, 11:05 PM
^ What he said

Simone2013
February 5th, 2017, 11:28 PM
Wonderful!

commodorejohn
February 6th, 2017, 06:09 AM
You had me at "rocket-powered El Camino."

KC9UDX
February 6th, 2017, 07:38 AM
Three things you must do:

1) Port it to the C64.

2) Sell the CGA version, in a box with pictures from the C64 version, and a coupon to send in with an extra $20 to get the VGA version.

3) Put in very fine print on the bottom of the box "Commodore 64 version pictured."

That's nostalgia.

PgrAm
February 6th, 2017, 07:56 AM
Haha, I do plan to sell it in a big box on like 6 floppies. c64 definitely wouldn't be able to run this game though, 6502 just isn't beefy enough and 64k of ram would mean disk swaps all the time.

KC9UDX
February 6th, 2017, 09:05 AM
You must be programming in C. :)

Chuck(G)
February 6th, 2017, 09:16 AM
Wasn't Chuck Jones a guy behind the "Beanie and Cecil" cartoon series? I seem to recall that he worked with Bob Clampett.

commodorejohn
February 6th, 2017, 09:41 AM
Wasn't Chuck Jones a guy behind the "Beanie and Cecil" cartoon series? I seem to recall that he worked with Bob Clampett.
Chuck Jones (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Jones) was a legend. One of the major figures behind the classic Looney Tunes shorts, the cartoon adaptation of How the Grinch Stole Christmas!, and a host of other stuff.

Agent Orange
February 6th, 2017, 09:46 AM

Bob Clampett with Stan Freberg as the voice of Beanie.

PgrAm
February 6th, 2017, 09:55 AM
When I first came up with the character it didn't occur to me that someone else had the same name. When I remembered who the original Chuck Jones was I decided not to change the name because I felt that it made sense given the tone of the game and the fact that my sense of humor has undoubtedly been shaped by his cartoons.

PgrAm
February 6th, 2017, 10:03 AM
You must be programming in C. :)

C++ actually, with a healthy dose of assembly. Some stuff is also done using a custom language which compiles to game-specific byte-code, similar to how SCUMM worked.

XDUR
April 9th, 2017, 02:28 PM
Those screenshots look nice. How is progress going?

PgrAm
April 11th, 2017, 11:06 AM
Progress is coming along nicely, most of the time is being spent on art and music right now.

acheter
July 30th, 2017, 03:06 AM
Lookin' good!
I'd try it out for sure.

zombienerd
July 30th, 2017, 07:47 AM
Any consideration towards adding Tandy sound?

PgrAm
July 31st, 2017, 08:55 PM
Hmm, I've thought a bit about it and I wanna do it cause I think it would sound cool. At the moment however its not a priority, the music I've composed for it was written with more than 3 channels in mind so it would require tweaking the arrangements a bit and I don't currently own any hardware with Tandy sound.

PgrAm
August 17th, 2017, 12:17 PM
Just a small update here. I got some new hardware (AST premium 286), and was able to confirm that the game will run perfectly fine on a 286 at 6mhz. So I think it's time I officially update the system requirements.

falter
August 21st, 2017, 02:32 PM
I'm impressed. I remember as a kid fantasizing about making my own AGI-like games but did not understand enough about how they were programmed to do anything about it. I'm watching your blog eagerly to learn a little about that.

PgrAm
August 22nd, 2017, 06:40 AM
Hey falter,

great to hear you've been enjoying my blog. I could definitely write more about how the games are programmed, anything specific you wanted to know?

SeanRamey
August 23rd, 2017, 04:48 PM
Wow, this is cool as crap man! I'm fiddling around with my own DOS game, but it's nothing more than a hobby project.
I'm definitely a beginner programmer though, at least compared to people like you. I've learned a lot by programming for DOS though.

I'm curious to know what your setup is for a dev environment? I personally use Digital Mars C, and integrated it with the Code::Blocks IDE.
No debugger for me though, because I can't find a debugger that works with Digital Mars C. The docs say that CodeView should work, but it doesn't seem to...
I was using Open Watcom, but I had problems with bugs in the compiler, and the more limited inline assembly.

PgrAm
August 26th, 2017, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the kind words Sean,

I use the current Dev Branch of OpenWatcom V2. While I've had a few bugs, none of them have been showstoppers (nothing to do with code gen). The developers have been really helpful when I do run into trouble. I use OpenWatcom because it runs on a modern OS and can produce 16bit real mode code. I actually use VS 2017 as my IDE. As for debugging I use the Watcom DOS debugger on a 386.

SeanRamey
September 13th, 2017, 08:22 PM
Hey, so I was watching this video, and I thought of your game. Maybe you should check it out. Might give you some good ideas for your game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwV_mA2cv_0