PDA

View Full Version : IBM 5170 Back Panel

Penzu
February 8th, 2017, 10:40 AM
Hi!

I recently acquired an IBM 5170, and I'd like to know if all 5170s came with the back panel trim cover or whatever it's called. I couldn't really find an answer for that on the Internet. I'm asking because I got it from a cellar and I would like to get all the stuff that originally came with it before the stuff gets recycled. Other thing I'm missing are the keys but luckily it was unlocked. :)

offensive_Jerk
February 8th, 2017, 11:09 AM
From what I've heard they all came with that trim piece. It's not uncommon for them to be absent.

paul
February 8th, 2017, 04:09 PM
My thoughts on this is that at work in the mid to late '80s we purchased a lot of ATs. I rarely saw the back panel installed and don't recall piles of them awaiting trash pickup. Some but not all had the strips of Velcro attached to the back of the 5170 chassis used to retain the panel. Like the round key, they are rarely seen these days, but I'm happy that my 5170 has both.

modem7
February 8th, 2017, 10:54 PM
Welcome to these forums.

I recently acquired an IBM 5170, and I'd like to know if all 5170s came with the back panel trim cover or whatever it's called.
According to the 5170's 'Hardware Maintenance and Service' manual (at [here (http://minuszerodegrees.net)]), the name is "Back Panel".

There were some new-old-stock 5170's on eBay, specifically the model 339, and the photos indicated that the back panel was included with the model 339.
Refer to the first photo at [here (http://minuszerodegrees.net/5170/nos/5170%20Model%20339%20-%20NOS.htm)].

Penzu
February 8th, 2017, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the answers. I couldn't find those parts but I'm glad I got the computer and it seems to be working alright (although the hard disk seems to be a bit hard to read).

offensive_Jerk
February 9th, 2017, 10:10 AM
Is there any way to get replacement keys?

lyonadmiral
February 9th, 2017, 10:20 AM
Is there any way to get replacement keys?

I have a locksmith in my area who was actually able to create a key for me. I had to take the panel off of the computer and brought it to him. He has to do something to the cylinder so the key can be removed in any position, but it does work. The key ended up costing me like $20. So I guess that depends how bad you want it. :)

offensive_Jerk
February 9th, 2017, 10:40 AM
I have a locksmith in my area who was actually able to create a key for me. I had to take the panel off of the computer and brought it to him. He has to do something to the cylinder so the key can be removed in any position, but it does work. The key ended up costing me like $20. So I guess that depends how bad you want it. :)

$20.... Hmmm. Kind of a lot, but what can you expect when you have to get a locksmith? I guess that's not a horrible price.
I think I heard in the 5170 training video they say to record the serial number in the event the key gets lost, so IBM must have had a way to get replacement keys that way, but I'm sure that's no longer offered. Too bad nobody "cracked the code" to know what key would work on which serial number.

lyonadmiral
February 9th, 2017, 10:54 AM
$20.... Hmmm. Kind of a lot, but what can you expect when you have to get a locksmith? I guess that's not a horrible price.
I think I heard in the 5170 training video they say to record the serial number in the event the key gets lost, so IBM must have had a way to get replacement keys that way, but I'm sure that's no longer offered. Too bad nobody "cracked the code" to know what key would work on which serial number.

I ended up purchasing two keylock sets for my 5150 and 5161 Expansion Unit. Inside were two keys, coded, with a special order form and a tag. If you wanted duplicate keys, you had to send the tag and that particular order form or a copy to Medeco to get replacement keys, along with whatever the fee was, I can't remember. The keys were "do not duplicate", not necessarily stamped with that but it said on the form that a local locksmith could not or would not duplicate the keys (paraphrasing). I suppose it depends on honesty of the locksmith.

In regards to my AT keys, the cost had to do with he was essentially reverse engineering a key from the "tumbler" of the lock.

paul
February 9th, 2017, 11:59 AM
.. the cost had to do with he was essentially reverse engineering a key from the "tumbler" of the lock.
Exactly, and $20 is a bargain for that work, assuming he doesn't compromise the lock performance to make it easier.

Having the key on your keychain was quite a status symbol in those days, at least at the San Diego company I worked at. I didn't have one, did my work with pencil and paper and could only be envious.

Locking the keyboard and especially the case made sense in those days when there were no passwords and memory cards cost thousands.

booboo
February 11th, 2017, 03:07 PM
As a technician installing these at the time, I can tell you all 5170 came with it. It was affixed using Velco. I would install them, but many techs just left it in the box.

yuhong
February 11th, 2017, 05:47 PM
Exactly, and $20 is a bargain for that work, assuming he doesn't compromise the lock performance to make it easier.

Having the key on your keychain was quite a status symbol in those days, at least at the San Diego company I worked at. I didn't have one, did my work with pencil and paper and could only be envious.

Locking the keyboard and especially the case made sense in those days when there were no passwords and memory cards cost thousands.

Which also reminds me of http://www.os2museum.com/wp/the-dos-4-0-shell-mouse-mystery/