PDA

View Full Version : How to install seagate st-251 in an IBM PC AT

emtone
February 15th, 2017, 07:23 AM
This harddrive is installed in an old 5170 as second harddisk. The COMS battery is out of power. I find the drive type is 40 or 44 from this site: http://www.redhill.net.au/d/5.php, but the 5170 BIOS only support 23 types. I don't know how it worked before, but it looks like had been used as drive D, when I boot the computer from drive C, it try to access drive D, but fail.

bobba84
February 15th, 2017, 01:50 PM
It must have a series 1 motherboard if it only has 23 types. My guess is that they used one of those 23 types (obviously not using all of the drive's capacity) as a workaround... Maybe try a few and see if any result in a workable file system on the drive?

Bobby.

modem7
February 15th, 2017, 01:56 PM
I find the drive type is 40 or 44 from this site: http://www.redhill.net.au/d/5.php, but the 5170 BIOS only support 23 types.
When that sites uses "AT drive type", they include clones of the AT.

... but the 5170 BIOS only support 23 types.
Yes, as shown at [here (http://minuszerodegrees.net/5170/bios/5170_hdd_support_in_bios.htm)]. The actual amount depends on the revision level of the BIOS.

I don't know how it worked before, but it looks like had been used as drive D ...

The person who added it probaly knew that they would not be able to use all the drive's 43 MB capacity.
In this situation, a type is used where:

* TYPE cylinder count does not exceed DRIVE cylinder count; and
* TYPE head count does not exceed DRIVE head count.

... when I boot the computer from drive C, it try to access drive D, but fail.
So, assuming that it was working as drive D: before, it should be a matter of setting the drive type in CMOS SETUP to whatever had been used before the battery failure.

The ST-251 has 820 cylinders and 6 heads.

Looking at the 23 types available, if I was going to put an ST-251 in my IBM AT, I would use type 3. All 6 heads of the ST-251 would get used, and only 615 of the ST-251's 820 cylinders would get used. That would result in a capacity of 32 MB being used (615 cylinders x 6 heads x 17 SPT x 512 bytes/sector).

So I suggest that you try type number 3.

If that does not work, try each type number in turn. Eventually, you will reach the type number that had been used.

bear
February 15th, 2017, 02:40 PM
Keep in mind the drive types selectable on the 5170 is a function both of the BIOS revision _and_ the Diagnostics disk revision. You can have the newest BIOS with all the types, but if you try to set it up using the 1.00 diags, you'll only get types 1-14.

emtone
February 15th, 2017, 06:13 PM
It must have a series 1 motherboard if it only has 23 types. My guess is that they used one of those 23 types (obviously not using all of the drive's capacity) as a workaround... Maybe try a few and see if any result in a workable file system on the drive?

Bobby.

Thank you bobba84!
I try 1~23 type, but no one can work. When the computer boot, the LED in front of the harddisk light, but can't recognition the drive.

emtone
February 15th, 2017, 06:21 PM
When that sites uses "AT drive type", they include clones of the AT.

Yes, as shown at [here (http://minuszerodegrees.net/5170/bios/5170_hdd_support_in_bios.htm)]. The actual amount depends on the revision level of the BIOS.

The person who added it probaly knew that they would not be able to use all the drive's 43 MB capacity.
In this situation, a type is used where:

* TYPE cylinder count does not exceed DRIVE cylinder count; and
* TYPE head count does not exceed DRIVE head count.

So, assuming that it was working as drive D: before, it should be a matter of setting the drive type in CMOS SETUP to whatever had been used before the battery failure.

The ST-251 has 820 cylinders and 6 heads.

Looking at the 23 types available, if I was going to put an ST-251 in my IBM AT, I would use type 3. All 6 heads of the ST-251 would get used, and only 615 of the ST-251's 820 cylinders would get used. That would result in a capacity of 32 MB being used (615 cylinders x 6 heads x 17 SPT x 512 bytes/sector).

So I suggest that you try type number 3.

If that does not work, try each type number in turn. Eventually, you will reach the type number that had been used.

Thanks modem7!
I try type number 3, I can hear big noise come from the disk when BOOT, but it can't work. I try every type no one is workable. I think may be it is destroyed by transit.

emtone
February 15th, 2017, 06:28 PM
Keep in mind the drive types selectable on the 5170 is a function both of the BIOS revision _and_ the Diagnostics disk revision. You can have the newest BIOS with all the types, but if you try to set it up using the 1.00 diags, you'll only get types 1-14.

Thank you bear!
I use Diagnostics for IBM Personal Computer AT 2.07 and the GSETUP program, I can set the type to 23.
When I use GSETUP, I find the parameters display is 0 after TYPE 23.

Xacalite
February 16th, 2017, 12:38 PM
Looking at the partition table with Disk Editor may give you a hint about the BIOS disk geometry the disk was partitioned with.
Eg., if the HDD's C/H/S is 820/6/17, then usable cylinders are numbered 0..818 (one cylinder is reserved), heads 0..5, sectors 1..17, ie. the end of the last partition should be 818/5/17.