PDA

View Full Version : PC speaker question

Casey
February 17th, 2017, 06:35 PM
This may sound stupid, but I wanted to double-check. It doesn't matter which way you plug the PC speaker block into the 4 pin connector, yes? I plugged the suspect speaker into a known working box, and got no sound. Plugged the original speaker back in, got sound.

Want to verify I have a bad speaker, since that would explain why I didn't get any beep codes when mucking about with a 486 board.

P.S. Anyone here ever hear of Triex Technology? A couple months ago I picked up an XT clone called the PC II. IDs itself as the PCII/XT version 4.0. Didn't get much on google except the eBay ad and some Commodore PC II stuff.

modem7
February 17th, 2017, 08:41 PM
This may sound stupid, but I wanted to double-check. It doesn't matter which way you plug the PC speaker block into the 4 pin connector, yes?
Correct.

The positive/negative marking on those small speakers is for when they are used in a multi-speaker system, and the phase relationship between the speakers is relevant.

Chuck(G)
February 17th, 2017, 08:42 PM
Makes no difference at all which way the speaker leads are set.

Never heard of Triex technology. Could well be another Taiwanese clone.

Great Hierophant
February 18th, 2017, 07:44 PM
When you are recording directly from a PC Speaker, it does matter where you clip your audio cable. In order to get a recordable signal, the "tip" wire needs to be connected to the line that comes from the Speaker pin on the header. The "shield" wire needs to be connected to a ground point or metal part of the case.

Casey
February 18th, 2017, 09:04 PM
I expect I better clear this up in case someone else weighs in.

I was originally referring to the little speaker ~2" across which is plugged into ISA motherboards. Basically the one useful for beep codes and not much else, although one could apparently muck about with the square waves and do some amazing things. ;) Usually came with the case.

So I'm not trying to plug a real speaker into a real sound system here. That I understand. Used to be a bit of an audiophile; still have a pair of Sansui SP-2500X speakers I bought in the late 1970s. Heh.

My question related to just how one attaches that 4-pin block from said speaker to the motherboard. Modem7 seems to have grasped my intent correctly, and confirmed what I wasn't certain about, it having been a long time since I had to muck with case speakers. They don't really care which way that 4-pin block is plugged into the motherboard.

It's amazing how much people are charging on eBay and other places for those suckers now. I've seen asking prices of $24 and up. Sheesh. If you're cheap and you just need a "beep" on startup, piezo computer speakers are dirt cheap.