PDA

View Full Version : IBM System/36 5360 Questions and Concerns

ThisPostContainsComputers
February 19th, 2017, 06:18 PM
Hello,

Since it is warming up in my area, I have decided to dig the IBM 5360 out of my garage and fire it up, but I have a few questions before I do. I would like to power it on but not have any of the 2 (massive) hard drives powered on right now. They need a lot of work and I just want to see if the CPU and the power supply come up before I try to IPL the thing. I was looking at diagrams in the machine and on the machine and it looks like I can shut down the drives by unplugging J25, J26, J39, J40, J51, J52, and 2 plugs in the drives themselves that run the main motors. This should disconnect everything except the fan under the controller boxes but I want to know if there are any bad effects to powering up a S/36 without hard disk drives besides not being able to IPL. Besides that, is there anything I need to know before I power it on, I have read some of the manuals and I plan to power it on tommorow.

Here are some pictures: https://postimg.org/gallery/2zel9ps62/

Thanks

February 20th, 2017, 04:29 PM
Update, just powered the thing up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm_5t4QmGSs

Seems to come up OK, now I need to find a replacement for the belts on the hard drive and try to IPL

NeXT
February 20th, 2017, 04:50 PM
As you already say I don't think there's an issue with powering up with the drives unplugged If my memory was correct they are AC drive.
Are you not able to IPL from a floppy?

February 20th, 2017, 05:50 PM
As you already say I don't think there's an issue with powering up with the drives unplugged If my memory was correct they are AC drive.
Are you not able to IPL from a floppy?
It was late when I powered it on so I didn't try to IPL from floppy, plus I would need to do more research and get a twinax terminal going. I do plan to attempt to IPL from floppy later this week.

February 26th, 2017, 02:57 PM
Alright,

While im waiting for my Twinax terminals to arrive at my house I decided to try to CSIPL the thing. I have a DIAG21 diskette that I am going to try to use but first I tried to input a blank diskette I had to make sure the old untested drive does not destroy diskettes. The only problem is that I can't get the disk drive to respond to anything. The drive spins up but thats it, nothing moves even with I do a MODE-E LOAD. The diskette drive still does not respond if I do a MODE-E load with a diskette loaded manually. Does anyone know how to get the 72MD drive is load in a diskette without doing it manually and procede to make it IPL?

Thanks

February 27th, 2017, 03:06 PM
One more thing: Can these things IPL from hard-disk drive B?

oldoldibmer
March 24th, 2017, 05:25 PM
You still trying to get that Beast up? No you cannot ipl from drive b. Drive A contains the mcode to ipl from disk which is loaded from diag 24 the MCODE diskette..if my memory is serving me well....ha I don't know why I have this wild hair to reminisce about the good old days but I was a CE,PSR and SE on these boxes.. one time there wasn't anything I couldn't do with these boxes from fixing hardware to writing/reading in hex code to the drives to writing apps that run on these boxes.

oldoldibmer
March 25th, 2017, 08:09 AM
They can only ipl from diskette or drive A.There is no code on B drive that is IPL related.

March 26th, 2017, 08:21 AM
You still trying to get that Beast up? No you cannot ipl from drive b. Drive A contains the mcode to ipl from disk which is loaded from diag 24 the MCODE diskette..if my memory is serving me well....ha I don't know why I have this wild hair to reminisce about the good old days but I was a CE,PSR and SE on these boxes.. one time there wasn't anything I couldn't do with these boxes from fixing hardware to writing/reading in hex code to the drives to writing apps that run on these boxes.

Yes, I am still trying to get this machine running, in fact just this morning after about a week of debugging the diskette drive I finally got it to CSIPL from DIAG21. Lasted for about a minute before I pressed something wrong on the keyboard and it hit me with a Console + Processor Check. I'm planning on next trying to source a new belt for hard disk A.

Thanks

Edit: Fixed images

Agent Orange
March 26th, 2017, 08:56 AM
Yes, I am still trying to get this machine running, in fact just this morning after about a week of debugging the diskette drive I finally got it to CSIPL from DIAG21. Lasted for about a minute before I pressed something wrong on the keyboard and it hit me with a Console + Processor Check. I'm planning on next trying to source a new belt for hard disk A.

Thanks

Invalid attachments?

Qbus
March 26th, 2017, 12:07 PM
Hard core! You the man, it’s good to see people not afraid to take on the large systems. I like seeing the tires and stuff in the background.

oldoldibmer
March 26th, 2017, 02:20 PM
First of all you need to have all the diag diskettes 21,22,23,24. and place them in a magazine,place it in first mag slot. a console must be attached to port "0" and at address "0" in the dip switches on the console. What are you using for the console? Then key in service position and ipl from diskette. Then what happens?

March 28th, 2017, 07:28 AM
Hello,

Alright, so a few days ago I got the thing to IPL from disk A and have been trying to get the master login ever since. I found instructions off the corestore website (https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/comp.sys.ibm.sys3x.misc/Vi57cbw1ofQ) but I have been having problems following them. I can get the address for the start of the security file but I'm not sure what to do with it. I have tried accessing the address from disk but every time I try the terminal just locks up. Does anyone know exactly what to do with the address I get?

Thanks

oldoldibmer
March 31st, 2017, 03:38 AM
I am trying to find some of my notes on what I used to do on that. There are a couple of addresses that you zero out to turn the security bytes off then you can ipl it. I'll see if I can come up with something for that.