PDA

View Full Version : IBM 5150 Rev.B boot issue

anstein99
February 19th, 2017, 06:47 PM
Hi, I have a set of 5150 and 5153 which I have not turned on for a couple of years. I turned those on recently and found out that it wouldn't boot up well. 5153 seems to be okay showing up white screen as it used to before memory check, but it wouldn't proceed to ROM Basic anyways. I doubt that the cause of this problem can be found easily, but can you tell me some common issues regarding boot of 5150? I'd appreciate it if you recommend what to do or check first.

Thanks,

modem7
February 21st, 2017, 12:25 AM
Welcome to these forums.

5153 seems to be okay showing up white screen as it used to before memory check, ...
The 5153 does that whenever the video card is not generating signals for it. The video card is normally initialised during the motherboard's Power-On Self Test (POST).

... but can you tell me some common issues regarding boot of 5150?
For the symptom of 'motherboard appears to be dead', take a look at the list at [here (http://minuszerodegrees.net/vcf_motherboard_failure_history.htm)].
As you will see, short-circuit tantalum capacitors is probably the most common cause, followed by bad RAM chip/s in the first bank.

I'd appreciate it if you recommend what to do or check first.
There is lots of IBM 5150 information at minszerogrees.net

Included there, in the 5150 section, is a diagnostic procedure for the symptom of 'motherboard appears to be dead'.
The procedure is on the link named 'Minimum Diagnostic Configuration'.
Try that and see how you go. Of course, report back.