PDA

View Full Version : IBM PS/2 Model 30 286 Floppy drive issue

GravityCrab
February 22nd, 2017, 07:37 AM
Ok so get this. I have a model 30 286 PS/2. The computer has a 1.44 meg floppy drive that absolutely refuses load programs from a copied floppy. (Insert "Don't copy that Floppy" joke here)
HOWEVER it will load boxed games and programs just fine. It also will not format a floppy to anything other than 360k. Any thoughts?

Mad-Mike
February 22nd, 2017, 07:47 AM
What DOS version are you running on it? Sounds like you are running something too early for the machine. Either that or DRIVER.SYS needs used. It could also be that there is a jumper or the Setup Disk needs run and the machine needs reconfigured, maybe the Dallas clock in it has gone bad and it still works without it.

I know the original load on at least some of those 8530-E21 machines was PC-DOS 4.0, I used to have a VERY nice Model 30 286 setup with the original Software load (PC-DOS 4.0 and Windows 2.1/286). I miss that thing. I had to replace the floppy in that one due to smoke damage from a fire a Tuskeegee University (which is where the machine originally came from, the College prof who owned it gave it to me after I recovered some Fractal Trees programs from the hard disk after replacing the floppy when PS/2 parts were still cheap).

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2476&d=1227504610

GravityCrab
February 22nd, 2017, 08:17 AM
I'm running dos 6.22 on it. Ill try and hunt down a PC-DOS 4.0 disk and give that a shot. Also i didn't even think about jumpers. Ill look at it after work and report back!

Trixter
February 22nd, 2017, 11:41 AM
DOS 6.22 is fine, stick with that. Instead, I'd find a second system to download the PS/2 Model 30-286 setup disk image and write it to a disk, then try to boot it on the PS/2. It's possible some CMOS settings are goofy.

One thing to consider is that the PS/2 Model 30 drive has, by design for some reason, a non-existent HD hole sensor. Meaning, if you put a 720K disk in it and try to format it, DOS will start formatting a 1.44MB disk (with a ton of errors resulting). You have to use specific formatting params to be safe. For example, to format a 720K disk in a PS/2 as 720K capacity: "format a: /t:80 /n:9 /u".

GravityCrab
February 22nd, 2017, 01:25 PM
Thanks For the info! Im pretty sure most of my issues have to do with CMOS settings. I found a disk image for the PS/2 Model 30-286 setup disk and will make a copy when i get home. One thing that great about working in a computer repair shop is always having a computer handy to hunt down old software! :)

GravityCrab
February 22nd, 2017, 03:56 PM
36413 364143641536416

Ok so here's what I'm getting when i try to format a disk or load a program. The floppy drive must be good because i used it to load DOS 6.22 and the diag disk. :confused:

SpidersWeb
February 22nd, 2017, 03:59 PM
They still auto-detect the hard drive and boot without a good battery backup, but things like floppy drive type would be lost.
I'd say fixing that Dallas RTC/CMOS chip would be the fix. These modules are a bit unusual because the CMOS memory is powered only by the battery, it can't operate if it's flat.

You could possibly try putting "DRIVPARM=/d:0 /f:1.44" or similar in your CONFIG.SYS as a temporary thing to try out.

Just my thoughts anyway. I have a couple of these and actually haven't run in to this, but by default I hack the Dallas RTC to use a new battery before doing much else.

GravityCrab
February 22nd, 2017, 04:12 PM
YOU GOOD SIR ARE A HERO! I spent the past 2 nights trying to figure out the issue and adding "DRIVPARM=/d:0 /f:07" worked.

Trixter
February 22nd, 2017, 07:19 PM
That is bizarre -- I have a PS/2 Model 30-286 and I've never needed this. I wonder why you did, but I guess I'm glad it's working for you.

The PS/2 Model 30-286 is a nice, solid, capable system. It's not terribly fast, but it has real built-in VGA (the 8086 model only has MCGA) and is built like a tank while keeping a low form-factor.

GravityCrab
February 22nd, 2017, 08:24 PM

Leave it to me to get stuck with a weird problem! Aside from it being a capable system its also one of the nicest looking computers of the late 80s in my opinion.

A-ko
February 23rd, 2017, 01:20 PM
oh man, that shot takes me back. Through elementary and middle school our district used Apple II's for the typing lab, and the newer LC series for classroom computers, However we always had a lone PS/2 286 that acted as the card catalog in the library. Great looking machines!

Troff2
February 27th, 2017, 03:39 AM

... Aside from it being a capable system its also one of the nicest looking computers of the late 80s in my opinion.

I agree. I love the PS/2 line for that - well built and nice looking. The PS/2's get a lot of criticism (for MCA and MCGA), but I would actually love to get a 30 286 myself.

luckybob
February 27th, 2017, 09:00 AM
They are actually very plentiful and easy to get ahold of. The hard drives are made of suck and fail, so be prepared to replace them. The ram is an issue as mb simms are relatively uncommon and are special snowflake style. (meaning its proprietary, for the sake of being proprietary)

Chuck(G)
February 27th, 2017, 09:05 AM
I agree. I love the PS/2 line for that - well built and nice looking. The PS/2's get a lot of criticism (for MCA and MCGA), but I would actually love to get a 30 286 myself.

...but, at the heart of it, the 30/86 or 30/286 is a member of the PS/2 family by name only--it doesn't share much of the MCA-related stuff that the other members possess. You're missing the whole "PS/2 experience"! :)

luckybob
February 27th, 2017, 11:16 AM
The whole "PS/2 experience" is awesome, if you're into sadomasochism.

I for one, LOVE IT.

wesleyfurr
February 27th, 2017, 05:45 PM
oh man, that shot takes me back. Through elementary and middle school our district used Apple II's for the typing lab, and the newer LC series for classroom computers, However we always had a lone PS/2 286 that acted as the card catalog in the library. Great looking machines!

Sounds about like my school experience...middle school had a lab of Apple II's, and another with IIgs's, but the IIgs lab also had two or three Mac LC's with the IIe cards installed. I always got there quick and grabbed one of the LC's. :-) The card catalog in the library ran one one or two PS/2 Model 25's, the all-in-one units, with greyscale monitors as I recall.

Then of course time goes by and you get nostalgic, and the next thing you know, you have an LC w/IIe card...then the cousins, LCII, LCIII, LC475... :-) Never was a fan of the all-in-one systems, so no Model 25...though I do have a working 50z. I think the 60 I have works, but last time I messed with it, the floppy drive wouldn't work, and I couldn't get it to come out...which is odd as all you have to do is grab the tab and pull it out...

Wesley