PDA

View Full Version : IBM PS/2 55sx error 601 + 162

MeanDumpsterCat
February 28th, 2017, 07:49 AM
Hello everybody!
So recently I decided to try and clean out (or rather blow all the dust out) the floppy drive of my IBM PS/2 55sx. I removed the cover of the floppy drive and just blew it out with a can of compressed air.
Once I put it back in the system, I was greeted to the lovely two beeps and the error codes 601 (floppy drive self test failure) and 162 (CMOS checksum/configuration error).
I've checked all of the connections and all seems to be secure. The floppy drive does seek on startup as usual, but I just get error codes and it refuses to boot.
So right now i'm trying to figure out what i've probably broken. Sadly I don't have another PS/2 to test the drive on
Can anybody offer me some pointers here? Much appreciated!

mR_Slug
February 28th, 2017, 08:51 AM
Can you boot to the hard disk (press F1), and then format a floppy? is the drive a MF355C-599MA?

Compressed Air should not dislodge any components that weren't already broken, well at least from a can anyway.

MeanDumpsterCat
February 28th, 2017, 02:53 PM
Can you boot to the hard disk (press F1), and then format a floppy? is the drive a MF355C-599MA?

Compressed Air should not dislodge any components that weren't already broken, well at least from a can anyway.

Thanks for the info. I didnt know about pressing F1 so I just tried that and it booted into DOS then Windows 2.10 as usual. Interestingly this time, two floppy drives appeared even though I clearly only have 1. When I attempted to open A:, nothing happened. When I opened B: it read the contents of the disk in drive A. When I ran 'format b:' it tried to format it as 360k and failed. The floppy drive was connected to the end of cable labelled 'A' so I switched it around to 'B' and although I tired that earlier, it now seems to work. It's able to format and read disks just fine and is displaying no error codes. I will run the test program on the reference disk when I have some more time.

Not sure how but it's now working. IBMs are weird.

Cheers!

bobba84
February 28th, 2017, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the info. I didnt know about pressing F1 so I just tried that and it booted into DOS then Windows 2.10 as usual. Interestingly this time, two floppy drives appeared even though I clearly only have 1. When I attempted to open A:, nothing happened. When I opened B: it read the contents of the disk in drive A. When I ran 'format b:' it tried to format it as 360k and failed. The floppy drive was connected to the end of cable labelled 'A' so I switched it around to 'B' and although I tired that earlier, it now seems to work. It's able to format and read disks just fine and is displaying no error codes. I will run the test program on the reference disk when I have some more time.

Not sure how but it's now working. IBMs are weird.

Cheers!

Maybe you changed the drive select on the floppy drive? I don't know whether it's a switch or a jumper on those?

lyonadmiral
February 28th, 2017, 05:44 PM
Would the CMOS battery failure cause the system to think the drive type in the system is not what is there and thus causing the error?

mR_Slug
March 1st, 2017, 07:16 AM
Would the CMOS battery failure cause...

I think so.

OP,
There is also a procedure with DEBUG to clear the CMOS. If the reference disk is not setting the floppy up correctly, or you run into hard to explain problems, it may be of use.
http://ohlandl.ipv7.net/8555/8555_Planar.html

Never seen a PS/2 55sx with 2x floppy connectors. Perhaps the cable is an option, or from another PS/2. This would account for the swapped A: and B: assignment. The standard floppy cable for one drive setup has no twists for drive A:.

chulofiasco
March 1st, 2017, 09:32 AM
you might have a dead real time clock... the floppy drive, check the caps...

MeanDumpsterCat
March 1st, 2017, 11:28 AM
you might have a dead real time clock... the floppy drive, check the caps...

Machine still keeps perfect date and time so I think that's okay

bobba84
March 1st, 2017, 12:58 PM
Maybe you changed the drive select on the floppy drive? I don't know whether it's a switch or a jumper on those?

If the Drive select was set to 1 (instead of 0), then it would work as A: when in the B: position on the cable, yes?