PDA

View Full Version : Xt-ide-cf optima

ibmapc
March 2nd, 2017, 06:44 PM
This is the first I've seen of this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/XT-IDE-CF-OPTIMA-XTIDE-XTCF-XT-CF-IDE-8-bit-with-Boot-ROM-/122379017647?hash=item1c7e5b9daf:g:El0AAOSwax5YuGW J) variant of the XT-IDE. Does anyone here have experience with this design or the designer(s). Is he or she a member here?

Looks like it can use an internally connected IDE drive as well as a CF plugedd in the back, hopefully at the same time with the internal drive set as master and CF as slave. Also it appears to have lots of options for rom address and IO port as well as jumpers for "Chuck Mod".

Malc
March 2nd, 2017, 09:41 PM
I recognize the color, Isn't that the same guy who was selling Glitch's R3 Assembled boards, Looks like a re spin of Glitch's R3 board.

glitch
March 3rd, 2017, 04:51 AM
It sure does look like a respin of my board. I'm going to contact him and find out -- if it is, he's obligated to release the design files due to my choice of license on the project.

KC9UDX
March 3rd, 2017, 05:02 AM
Is that silkscreen, or somehow masked paint? That part looks nice. The lettering looks pen-plotted.

But the solder job is horrendous.

KC9UDX
March 3rd, 2017, 05:07 AM
I recognize the color, Isn't that the same guy who was selling Glitch's R3 Assembled boards, Looks like a re spin of Glitch's R3 board.

His name is Matt Schimke, apparently.

glitch
March 3rd, 2017, 05:16 AM
Is that silkscreen, or somehow masked paint? That part looks nice. The lettering looks pen-plotted.

The white is a solder mask option, nowadays. The lettering is probably jet painted, if I had to guess I would say that's a PCBWAY proto run board, or dirtypcbs.com -- see the part number starting with a W. From the gold plating visible on the top pads, I would guess it's ENIG and not actually hard gold plated.

But the solder job is horrendous.

It certainly looks globby, like someone used too small an iron and too much solder.

His name is Matt Schimke, apparently.

Yes, I've been in contact with him before, when he listed some of my rev 3 boards he had run in white -- which is of course fine, because they were unmodified from my original sources. I doubt he means any harm by not making his sources available, from talking with him he seems like just another computer hobbyist.

Malc
March 3rd, 2017, 05:34 AM
Yes solder job not too clever + No sockets, couldn't see any caps either.

KC9UDX
March 3rd, 2017, 06:11 AM
couldn't see any caps either.

I see two. :D:rolleyes:

glitch
March 3rd, 2017, 06:14 AM
Hah, I hadn't noticed the lack of bypass capacitors! That's a red flag for *any* digital design, even down at ISA frequencies.

I don't socket everything, but soldering the EEPROM seems like an oversight...

Malc
March 3rd, 2017, 06:33 AM
I like using sockets, It just makes it so much easier to fix should an IC fail, Yup the EEPROM definitely should be socketed.

KC9UDX
March 3rd, 2017, 06:39 AM

Does half-soldering count? :)

glitch
March 3rd, 2017, 01:07 PM
As I suspected, just an honest mistake:

https://github.com/CHayNZ/XT-IDE-CF-OPTIMA

Apparently he had not finished cleaning up his design files so he hadn't uploaded them.

Chuck(G)
March 3rd, 2017, 01:20 PM
Oh, ick! I wonder if the guy's having trouble with some RoHS solder...

KC9UDX
March 3rd, 2017, 01:37 PM
RoHS or not, there's just no excuse for that.

I've had people try to tell me that you get those results with a non-temperature controlled iron. I've had to demonstrate that I can get a perfect solder joint with used solder, soldered with a nail and a torch.

glitch
March 3rd, 2017, 01:55 PM
RoHS or not, there's just no excuse for that.

I've had people try to tell me that you get those results with a non-temperature controlled iron. I've had to demonstrate that I can get a perfect solder joint with used solder, soldered with a nail and a torch.

In my experience it's more likely a too-small iron and/or low quality flux. You can definitely solder just about any circuit board with Kester "44-Core" and an appropriately sized hot nail :)

Chuck(G)
March 3rd, 2017, 02:09 PM
I routinely solder with an acetylene torch. Mostly 50-50 solder, though.

Same rules apply, though--heat the work, not the solder.

glitch
March 3rd, 2017, 02:22 PM
I routinely solder with an acetylene torch. Mostly 50-50 solder, though.

Same rules apply, though--heat the work, not the solder.

Yep, brazing, non-electrical soldering, whatever -- heat the work, not the solder, and make sure you've got enough heat before you get started!

ibmapc
March 4th, 2017, 11:26 AM
I saw this on Ebay and got kind of excited. An XT-IDE with an IDE header AND a CF sticking out the back as well as all the configuration options of Glitch's Rev 3 card. But as others have said, there are some design flaws;

-First flaw, lack of bypass caps.

-Second flaw, it looks a little to long to fit in the short slots of my 5155 with a DOM attached. Without seeing the traces under that hideous white solder mask, I cant tell if there is enough wasted space that could be eliminated to shorten it up significantly.

-Third flaw, I'm not a fan of the white solder mask. It hides the traces on the board. I like to see the traces.

I wonder if anyone here would like to respin this to get rid of some of these flaws. What do ya think Glitch? Rev 4?

KenEG
March 4th, 2017, 02:22 PM
I saw this on Ebay and got kind of excited. An XT-IDE with an IDE header AND a CF sticking out the back as well as all the configuration options of Glitch's Rev 3 card. But as others have said, there are some design flaws;

-First flaw, lack of bypass caps.

-Second flaw, it looks a little to long to fit in the short slots of my 5155 with a DOM attached. Without seeing the traces under that hideous white solder mask, I cant tell if there is enough wasted space that could be eliminated to shorten it up significantly.

-Third flaw, I'm not a fan of the white solder mask. It hides the traces on the board. I like to see the traces.

I wonder if anyone here would like to respin this to get rid of some of these flaws. What do ya think Glitch? Rev 4?

The idea of having a DOM and CF adapter on one card sounds great, if it works. The other thing I would like to see is some extended ram for 8088 machines. Similar to the jrIDE.

Krille
March 5th, 2017, 05:35 AM

Especially so since he apparently ships the board with the EEPROM being an AT28C64B which limits the buyer to using a "small" 8 KB BIOS build with reduced functionality as a result (for example, no boot menu unless you make a custom build sacrificing something else).

I also wish he would link to www.xtideuniversalbios.org instead of the old site at Google Code.

Malc
March 5th, 2017, 07:12 AM
I seem to remember the project admin could either remove the old Google code XUB site or update the URL, Though not sure if that's still possible. The old Google code site is pretty useless now.

glitch
March 5th, 2017, 05:51 PM

There will be future revisions, but adding a CF adapter directly to the board probably won't be one of them. I *have* thought about making a "sandwich board"/mezzanine to make rear-accessible CF slot(s) a possibility, but it would be a removable daughterboard so I could supply it with SMD components soldered down, for those who don't/can't SMD solder, like the Slot 8 Support board.

Especially so since he apparently ships the board with the EEPROM being an AT28C64B which limits the buyer to using a "small" 8 KB BIOS build with reduced functionality as a result (for example, no boot menu unless you make a custom build sacrificing something else).

Yeah, that is true. Though it would be nice to get 8K automated builds that include the boot menu.

I also wish he would link to www.xtideuniversalbios.org instead of the old site at Google Code.

It would be nice if the Google Code site wasn't around, or just contained a link to the right place. It's confusing, as the Google Code site still apparently has decent Google ranking.

alecv
March 6th, 2017, 01:07 AM
IFYI: CF IDE board costs ~1.5$ at Aliexpress/Free shipping. An example:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-40-Pin-IDE-Bootable-Adapter-Compact-Flash-CF-to-3-5-Female-Converter-Card-2425/32529633633.html

For ~2..3$ you can find adapter with ISA bracket.

glitch
March 6th, 2017, 04:56 AM
IFYI: CF IDE board costs ~1.5$ at Aliexpress/Free shipping. An example:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-40-Pin-IDE-Bootable-Adapter-Compact-Flash-CF-to-3-5-Female-Converter-Card-2425/32529633633.html

For ~2..3$ you can find adapter with ISA bracket.

Yeah, that's why it's not a priority for me -- solutions already exist. I suspect people are wanting an all-in-one deal, due to a lack of expansion slots, or whatever. Personally I don't use CF with XT-IDEs anymore, DOMs are more reliable and you can still plug them into a USB cable if you need to, though 99% of my transfers to/from old machines happen over Ethernet or serial.

fjk61011
May 23rd, 2017, 06:50 AM
I bought this one. With the CF installed it boots to a Bios screen with an option to boot from A or C.

With a DOM also it halts at the bios screen. I'll have to see about conflicts.

To my untrained eye the soldering looks OK. What should I be looking for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XT-IDE-CF-OPTIMA-XTIDE-XTCF-XT-CF-CF2-LITE-Compact-Flash-8-bit-IDE-with-Boot-ROM-/122467267539

glitch
May 23rd, 2017, 06:59 AM
I'd contact the seller and ask for help, first. He's said before he's not interested in participating in online forums, et c. so he's unlikely to see your problem here. IMO if you're selling a thing as tested/working, it should actually work :)

fjk61011
May 23rd, 2017, 07:16 AM
I'd contact the seller and ask for help, first. He's said before he's not interested in participating in online forums, et c. so he's unlikely to see your problem here. IMO if you're selling a thing as tested/working, it should actually work :)

These are the settings for the dip switches.

fjk61011
May 23rd, 2017, 07:23 AM
CF boots to DOS prompt.

Malc
May 23rd, 2017, 08:27 AM
What happens when you just have the DOM connected and CF slot empty, Can you boot via a dos floppy and run fdisk to partition the DOM ?

fjk61011
May 23rd, 2017, 08:39 AM
What happens when you just have the DOM connected and CF slot empty, Can you boot via a dos floppy and run fdisk to partition the DOM ?

Will try that later. 5150 in attic. There is a marking on the board that CF will not run as a master to a slave.

Malc
May 23rd, 2017, 08:44 AM
That's a lot of good then, So it's one or the other on that card and not both.

fjk61011
May 23rd, 2017, 08:56 AM
That's a lot of good then, So it's one or the other on that card and not both.

Will try a DOM as Master and CF as Slave.

fjk61011
May 23rd, 2017, 11:15 AM
Will try a DOM as Master and CF as Slave.

Works when I use the jumper to set the c.f. as slave

dlightman
May 23rd, 2017, 11:31 AM
You need to set the CF card to slave and use the DOM as master. I have 2 of the optima's that are working well in a Panasonic Sr Partner and Tandy RL. I keep my main OS on the DOM / use the CF slot for experimenting with other OS's and for easy file transfer.

fjk61011
May 24th, 2017, 09:17 AM
You need to set the CF card to slave and use the DOM as master. I have 2 of the optima's that are working well in a Panasonic Sr Partner and Tandy RL. I keep my main OS on the DOM / use the CF slot for experimenting with other OS's and for easy file transfer.

Works

uridium
September 12th, 2017, 04:48 PM
My Optima just arrived and I looked at it and thought "shouldn't this have caps on it?"

Anyone have a guide as to where to solder the bypass caps?

Great Hierophant
September 12th, 2017, 05:25 PM
My Optima just arrived and I looked at it and thought "shouldn't this have caps on it?"

Anyone have a guide as to where to solder the bypass caps?

You solder a 0.1uF bypass capacitor to the +5v and GND for each chip Considering that on all these chips the bottom left pin is GND and the top right pin is +5v (when the notch is pointing upwards), you would do best by using axial capacitors to straddle the chips above or below. Really lazy for the designer not to include bypass caps or the hi-speed/chuck-mod.

glitch
September 12th, 2017, 06:06 PM
You solder a 0.1uF bypass capacitor to the +5v and GND for each chip Considering that on all these chips the bottom left pin is GND and the top right pin is +5v (when the notch is pointing upwards), you would do best by using axial capacitors to straddle the chips above or below. Really lazy for the designer not to include bypass caps or the hi-speed/chuck-mod.

He didn't just not include them, he actively removed them -- as Great Heirophant said, you'll have to bodge them on the back of the board, there's no footprint for them.

The board is based off of my XT-IDE rev 3 design (which is why he's publicly posted the design files, it's a requirement of the license), I've been in contact with him about the bypass cap issue and it seems he's not interested in fixing it.

mos6581
October 8th, 2017, 03:20 PM
I bought one of these and have had no luck in my 5150. I need a different card, but currently none available that have a cf adapter built in. I only have one free expansion slot so an adapter is not ideal. The seller is friendly enough and offered to refund me on a purchase from 6 months ago, but it works fine in my tandy 1000sx, so I'll keep it. Any help getting something for my 5150 would be appreciated :)

Retro Canada
October 9th, 2017, 01:04 PM
I bought one of these and have had no luck in my 5150. I need a different card, but currently none available that have a cf adapter built in. I only have one free expansion slot so an adapter is not ideal. The seller is friendly enough and offered to refund me on a purchase from 6 months ago, but it works fine in my tandy 1000sx, so I'll keep it. Any help getting something for my 5150 would be appreciated :)

What is your BIOS ? Mine is rev 3 and it works fine for me. Don't you have a card conflict ? Tried to remove the other cards ?

glitch
October 9th, 2017, 03:53 PM

I've got a bolt-on adapter in the works that'll convert any XT-IDE that uses the Keystone metal card bracket to rear-access CF card, unfortunately I'm tied up in a bunch of different hobby and day-job projects at the moment so I'm not sure when it'll be ready.

If you don't require an actual CF card, you can use an industrial Flash module (DOM), which plugs right into the IDE port on the back of the XT-IDE. They're more reliable than CF cards anyhow, but I understand a lot of people want to be able to pull out the CF card and plug it into a USB reader on a newer computer.

mos6581
October 11th, 2017, 07:28 AM
What is your BIOS ? Mine is rev 3 and it works fine for me. Don't you have a card conflict ? Tried to remove the other cards ?

I have the rev 3 bios as well. I have tried removing cards, etc. At VCFMW a different cf-lite revision booted right up. this card has been repaired (and again, works in my 1000 SX) so I am thinking there is something about this particular rev and the 5150.

Krille
October 16th, 2017, 01:28 AM
I have the rev 3 bios as well. I have tried removing cards, etc. At VCFMW a different cf-lite revision booted right up. this card has been repaired (and again, works in my 1000 SX) so I am thinking there is something about this particular rev and the 5150.

Download the latest version from here (http://www.xtideuniversalbios.org/binaries) and save it to a floppy. If you've got a NEC V20 in the 5150 then download ide_xtp.bin (or ide_xtpl.bin if the ROM is larger than 8 KB). If you have an 8088 then download ide_xt.bin (or ide_xtl.bin). If you don't know what processor you've got and don't care about performance, then go with the latter option. Also download XTIDECFG.COM.

Install the XT-IDE-CF Optima card in the 5150 and make sure you have a known working drive or CF card connected to it. Boot the 5150 from floppy and run XTIDECFG.COM. Load the BIOS-file you downloaded and select "Configure XTIDE Universal BIOS" | "Auto Configure".

If there's no controller found then you have an I/O address conflict. Reconfigure the Optima card or, if possible, whatever card it's conflicting with. If the Optima controller is found then go ahead and change other settings as needed. Then select "Flash EEPROM" and change the settings there as needed - specifically the "EEPROM address" must match the ROM segment address as configured on the Optima card. Also make sure "Generate checksum byte" is set to "Yes". Then select "Start flashing".

If this fails then there are three possibilities; 1) You have a ROM segment address conflict. If so, reconfigure the Optima card or, if possible, whatever card it's conflicting with. 2) You may need to play with the flash settings. 3) XTIDECFG doesn't support flashing this ROM. You'll need to save the BIOS-file to disk and flash it some other way.

Hope this helps!

Shadow Lord
October 18th, 2017, 10:27 AM
I've got a bolt-on adapter in the works that'll convert any XT-IDE that uses the Keystone metal card bracket to rear-access CF card, unfortunately I'm tied up in a bunch of different hobby and day-job projects at the moment so I'm not sure when it'll be ready.

Glitch,

Will this work with your Slot 8 mod as well? I.e. can you have both installed. I'd really like to have the CF option for transferring large data (more then what fits on a 360KB) easily. I do have my systems networked as well but sometimes a straight copy command is easier.

glitch
October 19th, 2017, 04:21 PM
Yeah, the two mods are compatible and can be used at the same time, on any of the applicable XT-IDE controllers.

Shadow Lord
October 20th, 2017, 06:45 AM
Yeah, the two mods are compatible and can be used at the same time, on any of the applicable XT-IDE controllers.

How are you getting the brackets done? IIRC in the past that has been the biggest issue for people.

glitch
October 20th, 2017, 07:06 AM
Depends on the interest -- if relatively few people want them, I'll just mill out a CF slot on the milling machine on a few dozen Keystone brackets. If, say, there's call for 100+, I'll find a machine shop to punch them. I could probably set the trip punch up for it and do it myself, but honestly I kinda hate the trip punch I've got use of :)

In addition to hacking on hardware and software, I've also worked as a machinist in several previous jobs. I still have access to a small machine shop.

moritzp73
June 20th, 2018, 07:21 AM
Hi everyone,

I am working on a XT clone and have chosen Sergey Kiselev's design for the 8-bit ISA backplane (https://github.com/skiselev/isa8_backplane) and the Micro 8088 (https://github.com/skiselev/micro_8088) processor board:

In addition, I decided to give the XT-IDE-CF-OPTIMA a try. Since I want capacitors on my board, I use IC sockets with integrated caps:

I downloaded the PCB files from Github and had 3 PCBs (as well as all the other PCBs) manufactured by Aisler.net based in the Netherlands.

Have a nice day!
Moritz

Agent Orange
June 20th, 2018, 09:01 AM
Hi everyone,

I am working on a XT clone and have chosen Sergey Kiselev's design for the 8-bit ISA backplane (https://github.com/skiselev/isa8_backplane) and the Micro 8088 (https://github.com/skiselev/micro_8088) processor board:

In addition, I decided to give the XT-IDE-CF-OPTIMA a try. Since I want capacitors on my board, I use IC sockets with integrated caps:

I downloaded the PCB files from Github and had 3 PCBs (as well as all the other PCBs) manufactured by Aisler.net based in the Netherlands.

Have a nice day!
Moritz

Nice work! Pretty snazzy stuff.

glitch
June 20th, 2018, 01:46 PM
Hah, well, that's one way to deal with the, "no decoupling caps" issue!

ibmapc
June 20th, 2018, 08:42 PM
Hah, well, that's one way to deal with the, "no decoupling caps" issue!
Yea, that's a great solution. I was not aware that sockets with caps were available. I've "rolled my own" on a couple of projects using a quality turned pin socket that's hollow in the middle simalar to the ones moritzp73 used but had to add my own decoupling cap that fits in the space in the center. I really like having the cap there under the IC because it's perfectly centered between VCC and GND, plus it's protected from harm. If it is soldered on top of the IC it can be ugly and I think it's hokey to put it on the "solder side". If those are available for a reasonable price, that would be an easier solution.

@moritzp73; Where did you buy those?

Greg

moritzp73
June 21st, 2018, 03:00 AM
Dear Greg,

I ordered the sockets from the German company Reichelt (http://www.reichelt.de). For example, search for the item description "GS-KO 16P" = IC socket, 16-pin, with blocking capacitor.

Have a nice day!
Moritz

glitch
June 21st, 2018, 06:24 AM
They've been available for a long time, very common on high-density RAM boards from the early 80's that use DIP RAM, since they were cramming the sockets as close as possible. I think last time I had need to order some, they came from Aries.

I'm sure it doesn't matter at ISA speeds, but a cap from the VCC pin to the ground plane is probably slightly better at higher frequencies, especially if there's more than one cap.

Madrobby
June 23rd, 2018, 08:44 AM
I’d be very interested in this. I’ve a PS/2 Model 30/286 which doesn’t have Molex or floppy power cables, and a solution that uses only one slot, uses ISA-provided 5V & allows external access would be perfect.

moritzp73
July 12th, 2018, 03:54 AM
Hi everyone,

I assumed that the CF socket i should use is the same as on other designs. Unfortunately that version is not available any more and so I tried to solder the newer version "N7E50-Q516RB-50-WF". It did not go to well since all the pins were well 1mm above the PCB and I had to bend the pins. And bending pins evenly is hardly possible. And even after bending and soldering, the socket was not laying flat on the PCB. I had to push it down causing some of the pins to loosen again:

After a lot of tries I finally got everything together:

Next steps will be to get the BIOS and setup done properly.

BTW, getting the CF socket was actually not so easy, none of my standard suppliers had them at all and at Mouser they were out of stock. So I got mine from Farnell but it took weeks for the part to arrive.

Have a nice day!
Moritz

moritzp73
August 9th, 2018, 04:41 AM
Hi everyone,

even after extensive testing and trying, I do not get this thing to run. I checked the soldering carefully, tested all chips with a component tester, tried various BIOS options, but it will not work. I tried CF cards as well as two different IDE hard drives. One very old 170MB one, and a newer 120GB version. The latter I partitioned using Debian Linux and tried several settings. I even tried to have a 10MB FAT16>32MB plus an extendend file system but nothing works.

The BIOS successfully shows up after POST but does not find either a master nor a slave at 300h, although everything is configured in the BIOS and using the DIP switches on the board accordingly. All I get is "Error 1h!" but I do not find any information regarding the error code. The computer then boots from floppy drive A and will not have any hard disk available.

Right now I have flashed the chip with Univeral XT IDE build r591 and chose the ide_xtpl.bin variant. I configured the XT-CF PIO8 version w/o BIU offload.

Does anyone know what configurations work? Does r591 work at all or do I need an older build? Where would I find it?

Thanks in advance
Moritz

Malc
August 9th, 2018, 05:56 AM
The Optima was a respin of Glitch's XTIDE card, I don't own an Optima but it probably depends on how you have the switches set, If it's set for "compability" mode configure the bios for XTIDE REV1 or if the switches are set for "Hi Speed" Configure for XTIDE rev2 or modded rev1. The XT-CF configs PIO / BIU are for the Lo-tech cards. You Must have a drive connected, R591 works fine on my XT-IDE cards.

moritzp73
August 9th, 2018, 06:47 AM
Thank you for your answer. Yes, those two variants where the first variants I tried, since it is written on the PCB that the controller is based on the XT IDE Rev 1 design. Just tried it again - still no luck. Error 1h.

Malc
August 9th, 2018, 07:48 AM
Have you tried this Optima in another computer, The ide_xtpl bios has support for 186 / v20 v30 CPU's, If you are using it on a XT class 8088 use the ide_xt.bin bios. It may be a hardware problem though, If you are getting the bios menu up and it does not find your drive you will get Error 1h, It sounds like part of your card is working, it's initializing the bios but the IDE part of the card has a problem, I suppose it could be the compact flash card being incompatible. Have you contacted the guy you bought the card from to see if he can supply a known working bios for the Optima.

moritzp73
August 9th, 2018, 08:16 AM
Update: I used the ide_xtpl.bin and flashed the config for XT IDE Rev 1 again, since I am using an NEC V20. I configured the CF slot to be master, attached no HD. Then I used Linux again to partition the CF like I did with the HD before and created a 10MB FAT16<32MB partition. This time it worked! The card detected the CF card as master on 300h with no slave. I booted from FD, reformatted the 10MB partition under DOS. I could not make it a boot disk since the CF card is obviously not compatible enough for booting from it, but at least I got the controller working! Strangely I had to attach both FDDs to make the computer boot from floppy. Well, never mind. And I still have no idea, why the HDD is not working, but know I can play around with it a bit and test various settings.

BTW: The German company pollin.de is selling 128MB IDE DOMs for 0.95€ each, unfortunately w/o power cable.

P.S.: I did not buy the card but got the PCB design files from the internet, had the PCB manufactured and assembled it myself. See: https://peitzsch.wordpress.com/intel-8088-8087-retro-computer/

glitch
August 10th, 2018, 05:54 AM
Update: I used the ide_xtpl.bin and flashed the config for XT IDE Rev 1 again, since I am using an NEC V20. I configured the CF slot to be master, attached no HD. Then I used Linux again to partition the CF like I did with the HD before and created a 10MB FAT16<32MB partition. This time it worked! The card detected the CF card as master on 300h with no slave. I booted from FD, reformatted the 10MB partition under DOS. I could not make it a boot disk since the CF card is obviously not compatible enough for booting from it, but at least I got the controller working!

You probably want to destroy the old formatting (use `dd` under Linux to zero the first few sectors of the CF card, or use WIPEDISK under DOS), then boot from floppy and do FDISK + FORMAT under DOS with the card connected to the XT-IDE. The inability to boot is usually a difference in disk geometry translation between whatever machine did the partitioning and the XT-IDE.

BTW: The German company pollin.de is selling 128MB IDE DOMs for 0.95€ each, unfortunately w/o power cable.

The XT-IDE can provide power on IDE pin 20. I don't remember if SuddenlyMatt included that feature. His XT-IDE-* cards are based off the XT-IDE rev 3 design, not the rev 1 design as suggested in his listings, so the jumper was present in the design files he started with. But, all of his products seem to be an exercise in Muntz-style "cost optimization," so it's possible that it, like the bypass caps, was left off.

moritzp73
August 11th, 2018, 11:26 AM
Zero-ing the CF card was sth I had not tried yet. Unfortunately it did not work either. I can see the CF card and partition it with FDISK. Then after reboot, I try to format the CF card or the partition and it fails, telling me that the partition table is faulty (German: Ungültige Partitionstabelle). Checking again with FDISK results in no partitions!

In the meantime the DOMs have arrived from Pollin.de. And yes, SuddenlyMatt included the jumper to power DOMs with 5V. But no luck again. No matter what I attach to the IDE connector, it is not recognised. I have tried 3 IDE HDDs and the DOM. And since the DOMs came w/o power cable I cannot try them on my IDE->USB thingy. Oh, well ...

Update: I cannot configure any XT-IDE v3 in the BIOS config tool. Glitch: I just went to your Tindie store and ordered 2 PCBs of your XT-IDE rev 4. Which BIOS version do I need to flash?

Malc
August 11th, 2018, 01:06 PM
Zero-ing the CF card was sth I had not tried yet. Unfortunately it did not work either. I can see the CF card and partition it with FDISK. Then after reboot, I try to format the CF card or the partition and it fails, telling me that the partition table is faulty (German: Ungültige Partitionstabelle). Checking again with FDISK results in no partitions!
Sounds like you have a hardware problem, One or more bad IC's or bad solder joints can cause that.

Update: I cannot configure any XT-IDE v3 in the BIOS config tool.
Depending on how the card is jumpered / switches set configure for "XTIDE rev 1" or "XTIDE rev 2 or modded rev 1", I'm assuming the "Optima" is compatible with the original XTIDE cards.

fjk61011
August 24th, 2018, 05:00 AM
Had one of these. Sold it. Guy who bought is never got back tome so it must be working. Have ordered glitch's r 4 board.

moritzp73
January 28th, 2019, 07:37 AM
My final verdict on the XT IDE CF Optima: It is an expensive piece of junk. Never got it to work properly. Just tried it for a very last time. Happy now with Glitch's R4 board in conjunction with a Delock CF-to-IDE Adapter.