PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a IBM Ps/2 Floppy drive (or comparable drive)

Alkenstof
March 6th, 2017, 03:51 PM
Hey people, i'm looking into a new drive, so if you got one for a reasonable price, let me know.

evildragon
March 7th, 2017, 11:10 AM
You will likely have better luck in the Marketplace wanted section: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?29-Vintage-Computer-Items-Wanted

I tried to respond to your PM but it said your inbox is full.

WSM
March 7th, 2017, 11:59 AM
I have two PS/2 2.88 drives that are pulls but haven't been powered on for a long time:

- FRU 64F0204 / ASM 64F3197 / MP-F40W-02
- FRU 64F4148 / ASM 64F5996 / MP-F40W-03 - Black front bezel was broken / repaired but could be swapped from the other one

How about $30 Cdn including shipping ... PM me if interested.

wesleyfurr
March 7th, 2017, 05:02 PM
Do you have one that is non-working? From what I gather, capacitors fail and replacing them will sometimes revive a dead drive. PS/2 floppy drives seem to be be somewhat rare to find, probably because they tend to not be very reliable...perhaps because of the failing capacitors.

Wesley

evildragon
March 7th, 2017, 05:06 PM
Do you have one that is non-working? From what I gather, capacitors fail and replacing them will sometimes revive a dead drive. PS/2 floppy drives seem to be be somewhat rare to find, probably because they tend to not be very reliable...perhaps because of the failing capacitors.

Wesley

I might be doing a how-to video on this subject in the near future, as my drive is starting to exhibit caps out of spec. Tried a capacitor tester, ESR meter, and all are showing my caps are going out. So I might go for this soon, and I honestly feel that recapping, might be the best bet.

Casey
March 7th, 2017, 05:30 PM
PS/2 floppy drives seem to be be somewhat rare to find, probably because they tend to not be very reliable...perhaps because of the failing capacitors.Wesley

Heh...