PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with an SD Card to IDE adapter.

Zee
March 8th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Hey, just signed up to this forum for the first time.
I figured I'd ask about my problem here since I got no answer on tom's hardware forum, and this thing is more up your alley.

Just got this IDE SD card adapter that I plan to use in a retro gaming pc setup I'm putting together, and the adapter just doesn't seem to be recognized by the bios.
I have it plugged in the Primary and secondary IDE ports, but it'll show "None" at the startup screen and in bios, as if there's nothing connected there.

I have tried the adapter in a newer computer that still has an IDE slot on the mobo, and it works there. Although it shows up as removable storage in the newer computer, I'm able to move data and format the card, etc.
This adapter that I'm using is supposed to emulate true IDE, I googled the microchip that is on it.
http://i.imgur.com/gLN1tqw.jpg

I tried several brands and sizes of cards, no result.
http://i.imgur.com/uaLYK2I.jpg

I tried connecting the adapter in both IDE slots, the slots are fine (tested with a DVD rom and that is recognized), also tried manually inputting the disk size/cylinders etc in the bios, still not working.

Is it possible that the problem with this old computer is that I'm connecting the adapter directly to the mobo and not through a master/slave cable? (since it has a mother connector)

I've got some details about the mobo here in case it helps:
It's a DFI CA64-B (Industrial) Socket 370.
http://i.imgur.com/uGKHBoJ.jpg

Not sure what else to try.

tingo
March 10th, 2017, 08:42 AM
Since you didn't say (ok, write) anything about it: did you connect power to your IDE-to-SD adapter as well?

EMDarrow
March 10th, 2017, 12:15 PM
You might also try something like EZ-BIOS or some other disk manager/overlay software. If nothing else, it'll tell you if the system is seeing it okay, or if its some issue with the BIOS.

Zee
March 15th, 2017, 03:44 AM
Since you didn't say (ok, write) anything about it: did you connect power to your IDE-to-SD adapter as well?

Yep, tried both ways, same result.

You might also try something like EZ-BIOS or some other disk manager/overlay software. If nothing else, it'll tell you if the system is seeing it okay, or if its some issue with the BIOS.

The thing is I'm trying to make that the bootable drive.
I ended up just using an 120GB IDE hard drive, and to be hones I doubt you could tell the difference in windows 98 se.
Regret buying that adapter and a card, but oh well.

Another option would be to use one of those PCI card IDE adapter, but I don't believe that you can boot off of those, at least on this old computer

Also, I don't want to start a new thread for this, but I'm searching for a Creative Audio PCI CT5800 driver for windows 98se, can't seem to find it anywhere. Tried with an All-in-one driver pack, but it doesn't seem to have it either.

EMDarrow
March 15th, 2017, 09:04 AM
The thing is I'm trying to make that the bootable drive.

Overlay wouldn't keep you from using it as a bootable drive, just for future reference.

Stone
March 15th, 2017, 09:30 AM
You might also try something like EZ-BIOS or some other disk manager/overlay software. If nothing else, it'll tell you if the system is seeing it okay, or if its some issue with the BIOS.A PCI board with an AGP slot shouldn't need a DDO.

EMDarrow
March 15th, 2017, 09:59 AM
A PCI board with an AGP slot shouldn't need a DDO.

Shouldn't. But if his rig isn't seeing the card, this might at least narrow down the reason. Even if there's no intention to use it, it would help figure out why it's not being seen.