PDA

View Full Version : PET/CBM FAQ Updated and Expanded!

joecommodore
December 27th, 2003, 08:20 PM
I just did a couple days work on getting my PET FAQ a bit more up to date, I have re-formatted the structure and added a lot of information and some pictures. I have added many more links to PET resources and some cross-platform solutions for PET users/fans.

Check it out at:
http://www.portcommodore.com/commodore/pet/petfaq/

billdeg
January 27th, 2004, 04:58 PM
You wouldn't happen to have a cable to connect a Commodore B128 IEEE-488 port (24pin) to a 8050 Dual Floppy Drive, would ya? Or at least the exact part number or description I can use / get the parts to make a few for myself? I am dying to find some cables so I can hook up the drive to the computer! thanks.

erd
February 29th, 2004, 07:33 AM
I just did a couple days work on getting my PET FAQ a bit more up to date...

Check it out at:

A couple of comments about RAM...

"Static" PETs came in a couple of flavors, some with MOS 6550 SRAMs and some with more common 2114-style SRAMs. Both are 1Kx4 parts. 4K PETs had 8 SRAM chips, 8K PETs had 16 chips.

Dynamic PETs typically shipped with one row (16K) or two rows (32k) of 4116 DRAMs. There might have been some early shipments with two rows of 4Kbit DRAMs, but I've never seen one like that. I have seen 16K PETs with factory-perforated motherboards to discourage users from buying their own chips and upgrading to 32K cheaply. It's possible to fix the damage, but it is time-consuming.

-ethan
[/u]

Terry Yager
February 29th, 2004, 09:04 AM
I just did a couple days work on getting my PET FAQ a bit more up to date, I have re-formatted the structure and added a lot of information and some pictures. I have added many more links to PET resources and some cross-platform solutions for PET users/fans.

Check it out at:

What a nice collection of pets you have. Can you post some details about the various keyboards, and/or other differences between the CBM version and the PET? (I'm just curious).

--T

joecommodore
March 5th, 2004, 06:59 PM
What a nice collection of pets you have. Can you post some details about the various keyboards, and/or other differences between the CBM version and the PET? (I'm just curious).

--T

Took a few lucky breaks to get all the models I have - I was really fortunate to find a SuperPET and Educator 64 in the wild like I did.

Keyboards, Next time I get into modding the site again I'll keep that in mind. (I can add some key diagrams, etc.)

PET keyboards are pretty ok... the VIC-20 on had way better KBs (nice form!) than the PETs. On the PET/CBM the keys are flat, travel was short and they always need a lot more cleaning to keep working - the calculator keyboard is cumbersome at best (don't thnk modern calculator, think '77 calculator)... And the large keyboard always makes that 'hollow' clack sound (a lot of space in the PET/CBM case makes a mini echo)

From what I've seen, in the American PET/CBMs the ones with the static RAMS were always small keyboard/datasette, dynamic rams (2001 series) could have either the small or the non-nusiness (graphics) keyboard or the business keyboard (less keypad keys, and the main keyboard re-arranged). The Fat Forties were either Graphic or Business and the 800s were business (unless it was a Fat Forty modded up to be an 8000 - From what I've read tyhe difference between the fat forty and the 8000 is the startup ROM and an additional screen RAM chip).

The only other US keyboard is the SuperPET which may have special symbols printed on the keys for APL and/or other languages. (my SuperPET seems to be an early one - standard looking CBM/8000 style keyboard with three daughterboards on top of the main board.)

Any PET user ever see a two-tone PET/CBM large style keyboard? I recall a few ads of distributors selling PETs with dual tone keyboards (shift, etc in blue), probably just a reprint of a commodore promotinal pic but you never know...

Terry Yager
March 13th, 2004, 10:43 PM
You wouldn't happen to have a cable to connect a Commodore B128 IEEE-488 port (24pin) to a 8050 Dual Floppy Drive, would ya? Or at least the exact part number or description I can use / get the parts to make a few for myself? I am dying to find some cables so I can hook up the drive to the computer! thanks.

Here's one on eBay, if ya still need it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2793927452&category=4193

--T