PDA

View Full Version : IBM PS2 model 60 boot problem

Baxy
March 23rd, 2017, 04:39 AM
Hi everyone,

I just get an IBM PS2 model 60 (8560-041 the one with a big red switch).

Itís been on week that a try to boot this computer. I replaced the battery and when it boots a have to error codes the 161 and the 163.

This is what I found on the web:
161 AT systems options not set (run SETUP)
163 AT time & date not set (run SETUP)

And what I understand is that the SETUP is on the Reference Disk so I found the .img on http://www.walshcomptech.com/selectpccbbs/ but when I insert the floppy on the PS2 it seems to no function.

I know the floppy drive is working, because the first time start the PC, I succeed to go on IMB DOS 3.3 and launch programs and read floppies.

To make the Reference Disk I use a program called Winimage.exe I donít know if Iím doing something wrong (like a key to press at startup).

Can someone help me with my problem? Many thanks for reading my post.

Cheers.

modem7
March 26th, 2017, 02:58 AM
Welcome to these forums.

Yes, after battery replacement, you need to use the reference disk to get rid of the 161 and 163 errors.

We have had multiple cases where people have reported something like, "I do not know why, but it took me X attempts before I ended up with a usable reference disk".

Baxy
March 27th, 2017, 06:09 AM
Do you think that Winimage will do the trick to make a reference disk? Or I need to make the floppy with DOS?

And how can I check if the floppy is correctly made?

PhantomEigh
March 31st, 2017, 09:47 PM
I would make a floppy with DOS. I read somewhere that something as simple as running a DIR at the Windows command prompt can screw the reference disk.

Run this EXE in dos: http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/refdisks/rf5060a.exe

luckybob
April 1st, 2017, 10:27 AM
Welcome to the world of IBM! The 60/80 are my favorite style of cases from the era, nice to see someone else with one.

As far as winimage goes, sometimes it screws up. #1, run it as administrator. #2, always verify after writing.

The possibility exists (like 1%), it may be an upgraded model 60. Take a pic of the motherboard and post it here, just in case. Worst case scenario, we get to enjoy looking at the inside.

Baxy
April 3rd, 2017, 06:37 AM
Thank you I will try to make the reference disk with DOS, cause Winimage never gave me a working floppy. (Maybe with a VM?)

Here are some picture of the motherboard and an Intel expansion card (if anyone know what it exactly is?)

My model 60 have the 80286 math coprocessor.
I donít know much other things about this machine.