PDA

View Full Version : External Battery Pack Connector

Smack2k
March 24th, 2017, 03:02 AM
Trying to connect a 3xAAA Battery Pack to a motherboard...the board has the three pin external connector on it. The battery pack has the two wires coming off of it. I need to solder on a connector to the wires to connect it to the motherboard. I read you can use the front panel speaker connector / wire or possibly the CD-ROM connector for sound cards. Is the sound card connector really a viable solution? I have a bunch of these so using one as a connector would be ideal as the all the front panel speaker connectors I have are part of cases that are in use or going to be used.

Also, do OEM Cases have a seperate speaker connector or is it tied with the rest of the front panel connectors in one adapter that connects to the board? I may be able to grab a Dell or Compaq case and take it out of there if that is the case.

Thanks for the help.

GiGaBiTe
March 24th, 2017, 04:11 AM
You're probably looking for dupont connectors:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232160339471

Smack2k
March 24th, 2017, 05:00 AM
Can I use the speaker or audio connector cable and solder it to the battery pack wires?

EDIT - Google helps...I can use the cable....

GiGaBiTe
March 24th, 2017, 02:56 PM
You can, but sometimes the ground wire has a slightly larger pin hole which causes connection issues. Some of the 3 to 4 pin dupont audio cables have the ground wire doubled up on one end which can make a loose connection if it wasn't crimped properly at the factory.

I gave you a link to a kit so you don't have to cannibalize other computers in the future for connectors.

Smack2k
March 25th, 2017, 08:24 AM
Appreciate the link....

Was trying to do it without spending any money. But may have to go that route if the cable doesn't work.