PDA

View Full Version : Storage on my 5170 (XT-IDE Universal BIOS help)

lutiana
March 24th, 2017, 08:25 PM
My IBM 5170 build is coming along, I picked up an Enhanced memory card with 12Mb of RAM on it, so that solves my issue with filling out the RAM to 640kb base (I had a post about not getting the 128kb RAM board to work, still working on it, but with this card it's not as imperative anymore).

So now I am moving onto storage. I have a EPROM with the XT-IDE Universal bios on it (the AT large bios) and I have put that on an ethernet card. After some futzing with the card I got the BIOS enabled and working at D800, it starts up and recognized the 1.2Gb drive I have plugged into it, I was then able to format and sys the drive and it now boots to the drive just fine. However anything I copy to the drive from the floppy drive does not run. Gsetup freezes at a blank screen, MSD does the same. But they both run fine from the floppy.

So I thought something was going wrong with the copy, so I created a text file with some random text in it on the floppy and copied it over and checked to make sure the contents matched the original, they did. I then re-copied the gsetup and msd files over with the /v command and they seemed to copy fine, but the still don't run.

Next I plugged in a much smaller drive I had (42mb IDE) which had stuff on it. Nothing on that drive would run either, and I could not get it to boot (even after the sys command was run on it). I did not fdisk and format the this drive, but I suspect that would have fixed the boot issue.

Booting from the floppy and copying the files yields the same results. Putting the EPROM chip into another card (the XT-IDE card, setup by glitch as just a programmer) yields the same results.

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong here?

This is a Rev1 motherboard with the original AT BIOS, 512kb RAM, 80287 and only ISA cards are 12Mb RAM card, VGA card, IDE controller that has just floppy and IDE (not serial or parallel).

One oddity that may or may not be related is that MSD picks up the Math Coprocessor as an 80387, but it is definitely an 80287 on the board and Norton Sysinfo from NU8 does the same and I will note that Norton Sysinfo freezes on the first page when run from the floppy and spits out "Program is too big for ram" when copied and run from either IDE HDD.

Malc
March 25th, 2017, 02:27 AM
Have you seen the ' Incompatibility with the XTIDE Universal BIOS ' section at the bottom of this page (http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/5170/problems/5170_known_problems_issues.htm) on Modem7's site. I have the AMI Bios in my 5170 and XT 286.

lutiana
March 25th, 2017, 11:02 AM
D'oh. Yes I had seen that and completely forgot about it, thanks for the reminder.

Right, will try updating the BIOS next.