PDA

View Full Version : Zenith EIA-416 XT-class desktop PC

A-ko
March 26th, 2017, 10:34 AM
Hi all, i recently got this machine from a scrapper and have completely gone through and cleaned it and got it working great. However i haven't been able to find a single one like it online. My search for that model number comes up primarily with a keyboard-integrated model or a portable.

I've recently been getting more into these US-made Zenith machines and was wondering if anybody else has one or any documentation on it. Most of the stickers and date codes lead me to believe this was either a late 1986 or early 1987 model. Mine has 640K RAM, a JVC 360K drive, and a Seagate ST225 which sounds great and works perfectly after a format. Uses a backplane rather than a motherboard and all cards aside from the VGA card i installed yesterday appear to be OEM. Uses an 8088 and has an 8087 installed. Says 8mhz/5mhz, there is a button on the back of the CPu card that i'm assuming is a clock speed switch but i havent experimented with that just yet (actually just thought of it). Just an interesting machine i've been having a lot of fun with.

Anyway, info would be appreciated! Thanks! Here are a few pics from when i had a CGA card in it (came stock with mono graphics but i dont have a suitable monitor).

6885P5H
March 26th, 2017, 01:48 PM
What is that AT&T computer in the first picture?

Sorry I don't have any info on the Zenith but good job saving it. As for finding another one online I saw one on eBay with the same name and appearance. It looks like Zenith gave the same name to a bunch of different computers but the model numbers are different. Is your computer a model ZF-158-21?

Why give the same name to a bunch of different computers? Maybe all EIA-416s have the same motherboard despite their different appearances?

I found another EIA-416 on eBay that looks the same as yours but it has a way different model number. What does this mean? I'm sure the answer could be found. Does the name stand for what motherboard is inside, and the model number the case and options it comes with? Or does the name designate a class of systems? But why did I just find two EIA-416s in the same case but with way different model numbers??

You were looking for info, but I brought confusion and mystery :evilgrin4:

Chuckster_in_Jax
March 26th, 2017, 04:33 PM
Yours is a Z-158.

The Z-150 PC series were the most expandable of the PC\XT compatibles they sold. Many other models they offered had little or no expansion slots.

I have the Users guide and I believe the Service manual scanned if you need it.

A-ko
March 26th, 2017, 07:29 PM
Yours is a Z-158.

The Z-150 PC series were the most expandable of the PC\XT compatibles they sold. Many other models they offered had little or no expansion slots.

Thank you! I would definitely be interested in those documents, too. This thing was wet at some point as it was filled with remnants of wet mud, and therefore the paper labels on the back are totally unreadable. I'm guessing one of them said the actual model number at one point...

A-ko
March 26th, 2017, 07:33 PM
What is that AT&T computer in the first picture?

It is an AT&T 6386/SX WGS that i got from the same guy, the same night. Works perfectly, boots to DOS/Win 3.1. Got a few other goodies but these two (and a Commodore PET 4016 that i need to repair) were the ones i was most excited about. There was also a Packard Bell PB500 i was looking forward to messing with but when i got it home the Miniscribe HD was dead and the Varta clock battery had leaked so bad that all the traces around it were damaged. I kept the board and salvaged all the parts but now its just a donor case for a future project i have in mind.

modem7
March 26th, 2017, 10:17 PM
I have your Z-200 PC series manuals at [here (http://minuszerodegrees.net/manuals.htm#Zenith)]. I can add your Z-150 series there too if you like.

A-ko
March 27th, 2017, 11:12 AM
I have your Z-200 PC series manuals at [here (http://minuszerodegrees.net/manuals.htm#Zenith)]. I can add your Z-150 series there too if you like.

That would be great! I'd love to take a look at them.

Chuckster_in_Jax
March 27th, 2017, 04:12 PM
These manuals are for the Z-158 model, not the Z-151.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/nd5ff78didwzo/Zenith_Z-150_PC

A-ko
March 29th, 2017, 03:40 PM
These manuals are for the Z-158 model, not the Z-151.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/nd5ff78didwzo/Zenith_Z-150_PC

downloaded. Thanks! different oem card configuration but most of the rest seems to be pretty much the same as mine.

Chuckster_in_Jax
March 29th, 2017, 04:41 PM
What are the different OEM cards? part numbers?

brassicGamer
June 2nd, 2017, 12:53 AM
Amazingly, I just picked up a very similar machine myself: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?58060-(Possible-)-British-Telecom-PC-Clone

I haven't received it yet, but I can see from the photos that there are some subtle differences between the Z-150 and this model so it will be interesting. Does anyone know if the keyboard compatibility is XT or AT?

Casey
June 9th, 2017, 06:42 PM
If it's like mine, it's XT compatible.

Casey
June 9th, 2017, 06:48 PM
I have one similar, but it has an ST-251-1 in it. No "turbo" button. Z-150 series.

...If memory serves it doesn't have a completely passive backplane... I guess I'll have to get some photos up.

A-ko
June 14th, 2017, 07:43 PM
Amazingly, I just picked up a very similar machine myself: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?58060-(Possible-)-British-Telecom-PC-Clone

I haven't received it yet, but I can see from the photos that there are some subtle differences between the Z-150 and this model so it will be interesting. Does anyone know if the keyboard compatibility is XT or AT?

I saw that! Very cool. I love mine and its found a semi-permanent home in my bedroom. Since my thread i've upgraded it with a Zenith VGA card and a V20 CPU.

Definitely needs an XT keyboard. Luckily i have a switchable OKI keyboard with mechanical gourd switches that i use with mine. Really really like the machine! Nice and compact but pretty capable.

brassicGamer
June 16th, 2017, 05:12 AM
I saw that! Very cool. I love mine and its found a semi-permanent home in my bedroom. Since my thread i've upgraded it with a Zenith VGA card and a V20 CPU.

Definitely needs an XT keyboard. Luckily i have a switchable OKI keyboard with mechanical gourd switches that i use with mine. Really really like the machine! Nice and compact but pretty capable.

I think this is what I like most about this machine. I previously was set on acquiring an XT, but now I've found this I much prefer it! More expandable and rare enough now to be quirky but widespread enough at the time that it's well documented. I love the fact it has the system monitor in ROM - it's a real power user's machine in my opinion.