PDA

View Full Version : NetPi-IDE disk emulator using a Raspberry Pi Zero

eeguru
March 29th, 2017, 11:17 AM
I've been working on a complementary project to the JR-IDE boards I helped build a few years ago. While it started out as a Jr specific project, it's morphed in to quite a bit more. It is basically an IDE disk emulator built around a Raspberry Pi Zero + some other bits and other features.

Just this week I moved it to a platform beyond the PC Jr and started testing on a IBM 5150 with an XT-IDEv3 card. Things seem to be working well enough on both systems that I'm approaching an alpha test point. I have several boards built for a test and development run - many of which already have people's names on them from the Jr forum. I'm posting this here and now for two reasons:

1) Anyone who reasonably believes they could contribute code to the project - especially in the form of DOS configuration utilities, and who also has a fair working knowledge of Linux/UNIX/POSIX systems - please let me know. I may be able to include you in the first run. That also applies to anyone with similar skills on other platforms besides x86 PCs with IDE interfaces. If you want to add support for Mac, or Atari ST, TRS-80s, or whatever else, you may get bumped to the front of the line.

2) The project is 100% open source. See the link below for a SVN link (same as the JR-IDE repo). I am hoping it will aid others in undertaking similar efforts. And even if you are not part of the first builders, extra eyes on code raising questions never hurts. So start browsing!

Ultimately I hope this will end up in a crowd funding campaign or even a small community group buy at-cost to get vintage enthusiasts with lots of emulators in-hand. But that goal may be towards the end of the year.

I wrote a quick overview which I am going to actively expand on here:

https://www.retrotronics.org/netpi-ide/

Read through it. If you are able to contribute, please drop me a line.

Also I will be at VCF-East this weekend with boards in-hand. I am hoping to camp out some in Jon's XT-IDEv3 build party and use his customers as plug-fest guinea-pigs :) I will also be making my rounds through the exhibit halls looking for IDE interfaces on non-traditional systems and asking to 'diddle the interface bits'. I promise I will wear an eCondom!

-Alan

Trixter
March 29th, 2017, 12:36 PM
As someone who is working on a "load everything on your system" project, I am watching this with eagle eyes. The DOS redirector in particular is incredibly exciting, as it solves the #1 difficult problem my project has (how to preset 50GB+ of data in DOS).

Simone2013
March 29th, 2017, 11:05 PM
A similar project supporting old IDE standard (the XT-IDE or 8-bit IDE) or a similar feature could be very interesting, IMHO.

eeguru
March 30th, 2017, 06:37 AM
8-bit mode could be supported in this project. I just haven't implemented it yet due to lack of immediate need. It was officially deprecated in the spec around version 4, but the commands were not repurposed so it could be still optionally supported.

The XT-IDE (v1, 2, and 3) has a few serious compatibility design flaws that sometimes makes it necessary to use 8-bit mode. Fortunately most CF cards support it. I'll add it to the road map.

glitch
March 30th, 2017, 07:56 AM
Very excited to see this in person this weekend :) Also happy to see it released under the GPL!

ki4swy
March 30th, 2017, 08:00 AM
does it support ata security options :)

ki4swy
March 30th, 2017, 08:15 AM
This would be great to replacing failing hardware/drives in arcade games that require "Certain" brand drives and or have drive serial number lock outs.

ki4swy
March 30th, 2017, 08:17 AM
and yes, let me know how i can help :)

tingo
April 17th, 2017, 10:20 AM
Neat project! And I love the fact that you keep it open source - that opens a lot of possibilities to expand the project in the future.

zombienerd
May 7th, 2017, 12:38 PM
8-bit mode could be supported in this project. I just haven't implemented it yet due to lack of immediate need. It was officially deprecated in the spec around version 4, but the commands were not repurposed so it could be still optionally supported.

The XT-IDE (v1, 2, and 3) has a few serious compatibility design flaws that sometimes makes it necessary to use 8-bit mode. Fortunately most CF cards support it. I'll add it to the road map.

Not just 8 bit mode, but what about XTA vs ATA? Would it be that difficult to add in that functionality?