PDA

View Full Version : Need help to identify serial mouse for PC

nero
April 1st, 2017, 10:10 PM
Needing help to identify this retro serial mouse for PC that I want to sell.
Reminds me of an old Genius brand serial mouse.The trackball has some damage but I'm guessing the mouse still works and is in fair condition.
Ive opened it up but no writing inside.Just has a silver sticker on the outside with 9001217 written on it.
Ive found similar looking mice images via Google search but couldnt find model/brand of this mice.
Pictures attached.What would this mouse be worth approx.?

Cheers

SomeGuy
April 2nd, 2017, 06:59 AM
Are there any date codes on the circuit board or chips?

Do you know what protocol it uses? (Mouse Systems or Microsoft?)

What system was it used with?

If it is from the very early 80s, or a proprietary mouse designed for a non IBM-PC compatible system, then it might be worth fixing up and selling.

However, if it from the late 1980s or 1990s and is simply a Microsoft and/or Mouse Systems compatible mouse, then in that condition it is not worth much if anything.

(Genuine Mouse Systems, Visi-On, or Microsoft, or IBM mice seem to get a lot of attention on eBay, but those are clearly labeled)

In the late 1980s, the market saw a flood of cheap nameless Taiwanese clone mice. Most three button mice would support both Microsoft and Mouse Systems protocols, but they either had a switch on the bottom, or were switchable by holding down a mouse button during boot.

I'm afraid I don't recognize the specific brand. My guess would be late 80s cheap clone, and I would test it on a PC to see if it Microsoft or Mouse Systems software compatible, and that the electronics still work at all. (Back in the day I went through a pile of 3-button cheap generic protocol switchable mice that just died for no explicable reason)

Stone
April 2nd, 2017, 07:28 AM
What would this mouse be worth approx.?Lesee... unknown brand/protocol, the ball has some damage, overall condition is fair and working condition is unknown which is just another phrase for 'it doesn't work'.

Unless somebody who is really looking for this exact device actually recognizes it it's probably not worth anything.

kgober
April 2nd, 2017, 09:16 AM
I have never seen a mouse like this before, but it looks very much like it was based on an Apple Macintosh mouse. The top and bottom halves of the case look like they were produced using nearly the same molds, you can see the outline where the original single mouse button would have been. Because of this, I suspect that the ball mechanism is probably also similar (or identical) to the standard Macintosh mouse, which means a ball from a Mac mouse will probably fit exactly right.

-ken