PDA

View Full Version : Help ID-ing these cards

lutiana
April 2nd, 2017, 02:02 PM
I suspect they have something to do with mainframe and terminaling in from standard IBMs, but I am not sure. Can anyone ID them? Item 3 is really interesting, as the components are on the wrong side of the board from the usual ISA card. Also, the the Attachmate has what looks like a CAT5 connector, except there are only 6 contacts, and the other actually calls out the connector as "Phone".

Item 1

Item 2

Item 3

roberttx
April 2nd, 2017, 02:19 PM
The Attachmate has a switch that looks like it's labelled RJ-11 / Coax. It doesn't have any of the hardware that I'd expect to see on a modem, so I'd guess some kind of network card.

The third one is interesting because of the big IDC header on it, in conjunction with very few traces on the ISA part. You might try googling the chip numbers, see if that sheds any light.

krebizfan
April 2nd, 2017, 02:46 PM
Attachmate card is quite clear that it is for 3270 emulation. Only special cable for it. Attachmate also offered very good 3270 terminal software but I don't know if their software was needed for their card.

Second one is network adapter. Probably slow Ethernet with boot ROM.

Third one confuses me. It looks like another network card but has header for a daughtercard? I have never seen a card like that.

lutiana
April 2nd, 2017, 03:15 PM
Attachmate card is quite clear that it is for 3270 emulation. Only special cable for it. Attachmate also offered very good 3270 terminal software but I don't know if their software was needed for their card.

Emulation? As is connect a PC to a 3270 mainframe?

Second one is network adapter. Probably slow Ethernet with boot ROM.

The top connector says "Phone" above it (sorry that was not clear in the picture). So I am not too sure if that changes this ID or not?

Third one confuses me. It looks like another network card but has header for a daughtercard? I have never seen a card like that.

Yeah, it is an odd card for sure.

Chuck(G)
April 2nd, 2017, 03:30 PM
The third one looks to be part of a 2-card set. The VALOR transformer implies a network card of sorts, but the 8x305 bipolar microcontroller is something else. Note the "backwards" bracket. Without the other card, it's pretty difficult to determine the function.

bear
April 2nd, 2017, 04:11 PM
second one is most likely also a 3270 adapter.

lutiana
April 2nd, 2017, 05:40 PM
Apparently the 3rd card is a IRMA Board (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irma_board) and there does not appear to be a companion board with it. It is for 3270 Emulation, like number 1 above.

bear
April 2nd, 2017, 08:39 PM
Apparently the 3rd card is a IRMA Board (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irma_board) and there does not appear to be a companion board with it. It is for 3270 Emulation, like number 1 above.

Huh, good spot. That makes me wonder if the part you have isn't meant to add one or more extra sessions to the base board.

Chuck(G)
April 2nd, 2017, 10:19 PM
There were also "P" boards that could be added--they held an independent processor. The IRMA boards operated, regardless of what the PC was doing--software was used to communicate with it usually with a terminal emulator, but all the heavy lifting was done on the S- board.