PDA

View Full Version : Kaypro 10 questions.

Sandisk78
April 3rd, 2017, 12:09 AM
Hi, all ! I'm going to receive a Kaypro 10 machine, bought from Ebay. We used to have one, but long ago in late 80s, early 90s, and now I have questions about it. Where to get software for it, how to transfer it from modern pc, what kind of games or programming languages and other software it can run ? Is there a way to replace it's HD or FDD with CF/SD controller ? I remember only it had some Space Invader's clone, as I used more another Z-80 machine at the time - Amstrad PCW8512).

durgadas311
April 4th, 2017, 04:40 AM
I'm not experienced with the process of creating the physical diskettes, but there are archives with Kaypro software images and I've heard of tools to produce diskettes from them (provided you have a modern PC with a 5" floppy drive). The one thing will be matching the software to the ROM version, as different ROMs used different HDD formats. I have successfully installed the k10hald* images on a virtual Kaypro 10 with ROM 81-302c (1.9E). Those images are part of Don Maslin archives, which are mirrored several different places. I've not found images, that work, for the "Universal ROM 2.01" 81-478a (or later) ROMs.

Sandisk78
April 4th, 2017, 06:25 AM
Thanks ! I'll check that archive and will try to make diskettes ...)

Druid6900
April 4th, 2017, 07:45 AM
I just made the Kaypro 10 8 disk set that would have come with a new system using the "H" type images and it worked for the ROM version the computer had.

IIRC, there are only 2 ROM versions (if you exclude the KayPLUS ROM) and, as said, are not compatible, it seems.

It's one of the REALLY annoying things about the Kaypros that you have to know the ROM version to know what diskettes to make.

I've also made boot disks for the II and the 4'84 computers.