PDA

View Full Version : PC Front Panel MHZ Display

Smack2k
April 3rd, 2017, 08:23 AM
The case I am building a 386 with has the LED panel for MHZ Indication. There are no wires coming off of it and I have never really set on up before.

Is there any information on wiring one of these up? I have looked around google but havent had any luck as I may be searching for the wrong terminology to find it!!

Stone
April 3rd, 2017, 08:37 AM
Here's (http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/led_speed_display/LED%20display%20-%20G-568%20K-569%20K-568%20S305H.jpg)a place to start.

gertk
April 3rd, 2017, 08:37 AM
There need to be at least two wires coming from this for supplying power and some more (1 to 3) for selecting 'normal' and 'turbo' speed display.
The numbers are often formed by setting some jumpers on the back of the display, selecting which segment needs to be on in which mode (turbo/normal)

Remove the unit from the case and make some photos

Smack2k
April 4th, 2017, 02:05 AM
I will get the photos together of it and post them here

MikeS
April 4th, 2017, 08:45 AM
Usually there are four pins for each of the seven segments, arranged in a 'T' pattern; you jumper the center pin to one of the three legs depending on whether you want that segment lit in the low, high, or both turbo switch positions (or not at all).

Connections to the board are usually +5V, GND, turbo on, turbo off, and possibly pins for turbo and/or power LEDs.

modem7
April 5th, 2017, 07:50 PM
There are many wiring diagrams of such units at [here (http://minuszerodegrees.net/led_speed_display/led_speed_display.htm)].

Smack2k
April 6th, 2017, 06:24 AM
Thanks for that!!

I am still trying to get that photo taken, but ran into a couple other things I had to work on...

Casey
April 6th, 2017, 10:12 AM
Man, that brings back some memories. Had a 286 tower with a red LED speed readout. Swapped motherboards out twice; once to a 20Mz 386sx, then to a 486dx2-66.

66 MILES PER HOUR!!!! (I know, it's 88) Back when you could actually enjoy bragging rights for longer than 2 months.

Sometimes I miss that tower...