PDA

View Full Version : How many of use guys are using a VGA card in your 8088?

PgrAm
April 5th, 2017, 06:07 PM
I ask because I'm working on a game which only supports VGA but I recently tweaked it to run on the 8088 and was curious on whether there was much point to that. Of course the game is unlikely to run very well on an 8088 but at least it will run.

KenEG
April 5th, 2017, 06:12 PM
My PCjr is my only PC compatible that doesn't have VGA. With VGA, I can buy used 4:3 aspect LCD monitors and not depend on old, heavy CRTs. I know it's not period correct, but I have limited funds and space. On my PCjr, I built a converter to take its CGA signal to a VGA LCD also. I do keep the original CRT though.

KenEG
April 5th, 2017, 06:15 PM
I forgot to add. Also, since VGA is backward compatible with CGA and EGA, I can run any software and pick the best graphics available. CGA sucks for most things, EGA a lot better, I use VGA whenever the software allows.

gepooljr
April 5th, 2017, 06:17 PM
I use VGA on my Leading Edge Model D. It works with most games, with the exception of Bards Tale and Bards Tale II on the attached LCD 4:3 Monitor. I'm thinking of switching back to EGA or the onboard CGA video.

Unknown_K
April 5th, 2017, 08:28 PM
I use CGA.

Xacalite
April 5th, 2017, 08:58 PM
Does V20 count?
Anyway, at this moment, I have no XT-class machine with VGA, but I'm thinking about assembling a "Super Turbo XT" with V20@12MHz and SVGA 512KB.
I don't believe in VGA games playable on 4.77MHz, but with 12MHz, who knows?

PgrAm
April 5th, 2017, 09:29 PM
You bring up a good point with the V20, I removed some 286 specific stuff from my game to make it work with the 8088 but I guess I also made it work with the V20 which at 12 Mhz might actually run it decently.

archeocomp
April 5th, 2017, 09:30 PM
On my PCjr, I built a converter to take its CGA signal to a VGA LCD also.
This has been here over and over but so far I have not sen any easy to build version. How much do yours cost ans is it ease to to build?

I voted for VGA because in three of my 8088 is a VGA card, but I also have two CGA 8088 machines.. and two CGA LCD laptops with no add on card possibility.

Chuck(G)
April 5th, 2017, 09:37 PM
I run my XT clones with VGA cards--it's simply the most convenient.

A-ko
April 5th, 2017, 09:45 PM
VGA card 8088 user here.

OEM Zenith 16-bit VGA card out of my Z-386/20 in my Z-158 8088 machine. Works flawlessly in an 8-bit slot.

I do have an 8mhz V20 on its way for the machine though.

I will probably eventually go back to a CGA card in the machine if i take it out of heavy rotation but VGA lets me use monitors i don't cherish as much.

Rick Ethridge
April 5th, 2017, 09:47 PM
I run my Tandy 1000 SL with VGA.

fjk61011
April 6th, 2017, 02:22 AM
Oak VGA-KO77 VGA Card. ISA 8/16-bit. 5150 8088.

Have not run any software with it yet.

AlexC
April 6th, 2017, 02:25 AM
I didn't vote because it would have been for 'both' or maybe 'all': a 4.77MHz 8088 with CGA and a 10MHz V20 that is mostly used with Hercules but also runs quite nicely with a Headland/V7 VGA card.

It's surprising how many games will run fairly well on a 10MHz V20 with VGA, including Day of the Tentacle with speech, Lemmings 2 and even (with a small enough display area) a patched version of Wolfenstein 3D. So yes, it might be worth testing your new game on such a system. It could run well.

KenEG
April 6th, 2017, 03:08 AM
This has been here over and over but so far I have not sen any easy to build version. How much do yours cost ans is it ease to to build?

I voted for VGA because in three of my 8088 is a VGA card, but I also have two CGA 8088 machines.. and two CGA LCD laptops with no add on card possibility.

Go to bit-c128.com. It was a very easy build for under $100. I am now working with a guy on eBay who sells a case for it also, but I ran mine for months without a case. Just be careful not to let anything short it out.

Xacalite
April 6th, 2017, 03:45 AM
I removed some 286 specific stuff from my game to make it work with the 8088 but I guess I also made it work with the V20
It's possible you didn't even have to do anything to make it work on V20.
V20 supports all 286 instructions, except for those related to protected mode.
If it doesn't use protected mode, and doesn't use AT-specific chips, it should work on a V20.

BTW: what's the problem with Wolfenstein 3D that it needs a patch to run on a V20?

lyonadmiral
April 6th, 2017, 04:46 AM
I don't, I am completely period specific, IBM Color Graphics with 5153 Display.

KC9UDX
April 6th, 2017, 04:53 AM
CGA is built in, and doesn't require an additional monitor.

RobertK
April 6th, 2017, 05:20 AM
I voted "no" although I have an 8-Bit VGA Card (Expert TopVGA 3000), but I use my Schneider Euro PC mainly in CGA and Hercules modes. Although the combination of 8088 and VGA is very interesting, it has no historical meaning to me.

However, your game could be a motivation for me to plug in my VGA card again - that sounds interesting.

I forgot to add. Also, since VGA is backward compatible with CGA and EGA, I can run any software and pick the best graphics available. CGA sucks for most things, EGA a lot better, I use VGA whenever the software allows.

Not entirely. Many games used a custom palette that you won't see on a VGA card (you would see the ugly standard CGA colors instead). I discovered recently how good some CGA games looked with their true palette (Marble Madness, Double Dragon, etc.)

It's surprising how many games will run fairly well on a 10MHz V20 with VGA

I was surprised as well how well some VGA games perform on my 9.54 MHz XT, for example Prince of Persia and Titus the Fox.

XDUR
April 8th, 2017, 01:42 PM
I have tried out a VGA card in my IBM 5155 for fun. It worked fine with an external monitor, but because it can't send a signal to the internal monitor, I've put the CGA card back in.

Great Hierophant
April 8th, 2017, 04:00 PM
Go to bit-c128.com. It was a very easy build for under $100. I am now working with a guy on eBay who sells a case for it also, but I ran mine for months without a case. Just be careful not to let anything short it out.

Don't go to bit-c128.com, that adapter does not give a proper brown color and the guy who sells them is a real sleaze bag. Buy this when it becomes available again : http://gglabs.us/node/1619 or this : http://www.microbeetechnology.com.au/vga-video-converter.htm

As far as the OP's question goes, I generally use CGA cards in my IBM PC and XT, the PCjr's built-in adapter for the PCjr, and the built-in Tandy adapter for my Tandy 1000s. I can install an EGA or a VGA card in my PC, XT or Tandys, but I rarely see the need given that EGA and VGA programs run slow on these machines.

Caluser2000
April 8th, 2017, 04:33 PM
I have a EGA screen for my XT Turbo system but have been known to use the vga card at times.

nintenloup
April 8th, 2017, 06:00 PM
My Tandy 1000 SX is using it's integrated card, so no vga ont it. It is plugged in composite tho XD

SpidersWeb
April 8th, 2017, 06:47 PM
I probably have one XT running VGA, but generally stick to MDA or CGA.
Most of my 286 machines however run VGA just for convenience, but I do try and make an effort to keep the XTs feeling like XTs.

AlexC
April 8th, 2017, 07:08 PM
It's possible you didn't even have to do anything to make it work on V20.
V20 supports all 286 instructions, except for those related to protected mode.
If it doesn't use protected mode, and doesn't use AT-specific chips, it should work on a V20.

BTW: what's the problem with Wolfenstein 3D that it needs a patch to run on a V20?

It was written for a 286 but there's also 8088/8086 modified code available. I found an 8087V20.EXE version which matches my hardware (V20 with 8087), so I used that.

I didn't actually try the standard executable on my V20, so I don't know if it would work or not. From what you say I guess it might.

Flamin Joe
April 9th, 2017, 03:19 AM
Up until about a year ago when I picked up an NEC MultiSync II, I was using VGA purely out of convenience. It's getting pretty hard to find working CGA/EGA monitors these days unfortunately but it's so good to be able to go back to EGA just how I remember it.

DaveJustDave
April 9th, 2017, 02:05 PM
i have a EGA/VGA combo on a princeton clone 5154 EGA monitor. I might switch to VGA but that depends if I can find the corresponding period correct IBM monitor.