PDA

View Full Version : Intertec Superbrain owners club

JonB
April 5th, 2017, 09:45 PM
At last, I finally secured me a 'Brain:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262915237656

Naturally, it's dead. Powers up but goes no further. Nothing on screen (according to the seller - I haven't picked it up yet). It's an early model, non QD, and has a blanking plate over Drive B which may (or may not) be a HDD. The plate looks non standard, that is for sure. I expect the ROM's failed, as they do.

Collection on Saturday....

Anyway, who else round these parts owns one? And do you have any useful links or other information?

Cheers
JonB
(Who is about to discover the true meaning of "a rather large computer".)

acollins22
April 6th, 2017, 12:15 PM
The Superbrain was one of the first business computers I ever used. I was "junior underling 3rd class" working for British Rail and SBs were very common. I rather liked them at the time an wish I had one now.
I seem to remember that they had two Z80 CPUs. One for the heavy lifting and the other for looking after the screen.

Good luck getting it going and please keep us posted.

Cheers,

Andy.

glitch
April 6th, 2017, 02:30 PM
Nice! Decent price, they seem to be quite expensive usually. Very cool looking machines, I remember this and the IMSAI were two things I really wanted after going through the Obsolete Computer Museum's online museum (remember that guy?!). I'd still like to find one, but the shipping combined with the usual eBay asking prices have kept me from acquiring one.

I do also appreciate the Kermit angle on them too -- Doug Crawford had an exhibit at VCF East dedicated to Kermit and its development on the Superbrain.

I hear there's also a dumb terminal in the same case called an Intertec Intertube :)

snuci
April 6th, 2017, 04:52 PM
I have a couple of Superbrain's. They do look pretty awesome and very late 70's looking. That second drive does look interesting but that would probably need to be an 8" drive to fit that floppy drive opening but the seller does say it's really heavy which is a vote in the "possible hard drive" camp. I have a copy of the ROM on my site at http://vintagecomputer.ca/files-area/ if you need it. If it is a hard drive, I would imagine it would be different though. Do let us know how you make out and post some pics!

glitch
April 6th, 2017, 05:40 PM
As I understand it, it's also possible to expand the Superbrain with a single S-100 slot, has anyone actually seen one of those options?

JonB
April 6th, 2017, 09:52 PM
Correct, glitch. And the slot is to the right of drive B. I always considered that to be the natural place for a HDD controller, but having seen pictures of another internal HDD install, I'm not so sure (in this case, the controller was stuffed under the CRT).

@snuci thanks for the link. I will fit a uIDE to it most likely : http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/UIDE_Universal_IDE_adapter_cards_for_Z-80_computers then have fun porting a driver over.

Not long to wait, though. I'm collecting tomorrow morning, very early. Photos etc to follow!

glitch
April 7th, 2017, 05:11 AM
Not long to wait, though. I'm collecting tomorrow morning, very early. Photos etc to follow!

Excellent!

JonB
April 7th, 2017, 05:33 AM
I don't expect it will look any different to the other pictures on the web, though! ;)

alan8086
April 9th, 2017, 07:44 AM
I had one many years ago (the S100 adapter) - I'm 40 now but at the age of 14 or so my schools IT department gave me 5 'brains that where just eating up space in their BBC micro econeted IT Room. One of them had the S100 adapter, don't remember it being connected to anything however. The internet hadn't been invented back then so my knowledge about what I actually had was limited to the manual and my own fascination. If only 'Mother' hadn't made me get rid of them all!

alan8086
April 14th, 2017, 12:01 PM
Not sure if this is of any use - I finally decided to recap my Superbrain QD power board, just the electrolytics. I took a photo, lettered all the caps in pc paintbrush and dragged a snip of an excel thing labelling the cap values. Its attached for anyone to find of use although I'm sure you would do the same yourselves in 10 mins flat. Same values on my spare, slightly older PSU board.37826
I did a PDF too, don't think I can post here.

JonB
April 14th, 2017, 01:02 PM
Nice picture, Alan. They are all 105 degrees centigrade rated, per my PM.