PDA

View Full Version : Logitech Logimouse model C7 serial port settings and driver?

Fire-Flare
April 13th, 2017, 08:09 PM
I'm trying to get a serial Logimouse I found to work with my Windows 98 build, but I don't know what settings it expects or maybe if it needs a driver to work?
The exact model is C7-3F-9F if it helps.

krebizfan
April 13th, 2017, 09:31 PM
It should work without setting the port. You do need a driver but Win98 should have them on the CD. Most Logitech serial mice were able to work with MS serial mice drivers but you can't use the middle button. I don't remember if all the C7 variants supported MS mode. C7 is the early wedge shaped mouse, right?

Logitech's FTP site still has drivers available. ftp://ftp.logitech.com/pub/techsupport/mouse/ M83SETUP.exe should have the correct drivers.

Does the mouse show up in Win98 device manager?

Fire-Flare
April 15th, 2017, 08:31 AM
It should work without setting the port. You do need a driver but Win98 should have them on the CD. Most Logitech serial mice were able to work with MS serial mice drivers but you can't use the middle button. I don't remember if all the C7 variants supported MS mode. C7 is the early wedge shaped mouse, right?

Logitech's FTP site still has drivers available. ftp://ftp.logitech.com/pub/techsupport/mouse/ M83SETUP.exe should have the correct drivers.

Does the mouse show up in Win98 device manager?

I don't think this mouse has MS mode.

I did look at Device Manager and it wasn't listed. My USB mouse was, and that's what M83SETUP got stuck on.

krebizfan
April 15th, 2017, 08:57 AM
I have a C7 mouse but its a bus mouse so I can't replicate your system.

Try to install drivers for the serial mouse with the USB mouse disconnected. Note that I when I had both a serial and USB mouse connected under Win98SE, I often was requested to reinstall drivers. I hated that drummer icon.

Does the mouse work under DOS using DOS drivers?

Fire-Flare
April 15th, 2017, 05:26 PM
I have a C7 mouse but its a bus mouse so I can't replicate your system.

Try to install drivers for the serial mouse with the USB mouse disconnected. Note that I when I had both a serial and USB mouse connected under Win98SE, I often was requested to reinstall drivers. I hated that drummer icon.

Does the mouse work under DOS using DOS drivers?

Alright, I'll give that a shot later. Right now I want to reinstall 98 entirely because there were a lot of yellow alerts in Device Manager I'd like to fix.

ShadowRAM
November 13th, 2018, 03:52 PM
After doing some research on the C7, I found the following information in the Technical Reference Manual (http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/logitech/Logitech_Logimouse_C7_Firmware_Rev_3.0_Jan86.pdf):

LOGIMOUSE C7 has five two-position jumpers numbered J0 to J4 which set the power-up state of the mouse. The jumpers are located on the soldered side of the PCB beneath the processor. The default configuration is all jumpers set to '0' with a small trace in the '0' position. Jumpers may be set to '1' by cutting the corresponding trace and soldering a small wire in the '1' position.

To configure it to the Microsoft compatible protocol, change jumpers J0, J1 and J2 to the '1' position.