PDA

View Full Version : New to Vintage Comps - is this Commodore lot worth it? [noob]

edwoky
April 16th, 2017, 07:15 PM

I'm a teenager who is new to vintage comps and I have really wanted a 64 for a while. I've been searching craigslist for a long time trying to find a good deal in my area and I found this. I think it is a good deal, but I'd prefer any advice before I go make my first purchase.

Here's a link because that picture is pretty bad.
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/sys/6088352841.html

Zippy Zapp
April 17th, 2017, 12:23 PM
Welcome.

That picture is too small I can barely read any of the text even zooming. Can you copy and paste the link or the text of the ad? I can sort of make out some fuzzy bits but not much. I think it says SX64 and 64 and MPS803 (Junk printer, IMHO) 275? If the SX64 is in good working condition and has everything like keyboard and cable then it might be worth something. Not sure I would pay $275 for it.

clh333
April 17th, 2017, 02:35 PM
If you will forgive me for offering my advice, I think this is perhaps a better deal for a person who wants to sell vintage equipment on eBay than for someone who wants to make a foray into vintage computing with Commodore machines. Here is my reasoning: I think the Commodore 64 (and maybe some books or software that could be part of the bundle - it's hard to tell what's included from your clipping) is the thing that you really want to acquire. With a little research you can find those for under $100 frequently. The printer would sell for maybe $25 if you needed to unload it and the C64-SX makes up the bulk of the remainder; what you're really paying $175 for.

Do you need it? Only you can answer that. But to help you make up your mind, consider what Wikipedia has to say: "The SX-64 did not sell well, and its failure has been variously attributed to its small screen, high weight, poor marketing, and smaller business software library than that of its competitors, which included the Osborne 1 and Kaypro II (Zilog Z80 CPU, CP/M OS) and Compaq Portable (16-bit CPU, MS-DOS)." The SX is not completely compatible with the C 64 desktop model, either, and as a "transportable" computer it had serious competition.

My advice is: Save your dough, buy good stuff and only what you really want, adding one piece at a time. As you learn more about what you have you will figure out what you want to have next.

Hope this helps. And welcome to the club.

-CH-

edwoky
April 17th, 2017, 05:02 PM
Wow that picture is shit. Here's the link. https://raleigh.craigslist.org/sys/6088352841.html

Rick Ethridge
April 17th, 2017, 05:05 PM
A regular 64 is cheaper and allows better expandability. The 5 inch screen can be a headache maker. If you can get the computer and disk drive for less than $75 spring for it. The separated-video cable with a similarly equipped TV or Commodore monitor will work nicely. The cable is cheap. I know: I have one!

tezza
April 17th, 2017, 06:07 PM
Yes, I wouldn't START my commodore collection with an SX64. It's a collectible model, but it has a tiny screen, the keyboards don't always work and you can't enjoy the retro-anticipation of loading programs off tape. Standard 64s are a lot more common, a lot cheaper and more versatile. They make good "starter packs"

Tez

ClassicHasClass
April 17th, 2017, 11:03 PM
That SX is going to need some work, too. It's not a trivial system to work on, even though I love my stable of SX-64s and would never part with them.