PDA

View Full Version : Forcing 80x50 Video Mode`

evildragon
April 24th, 2017, 05:23 AM
Since installing a VGA card in my model 25, I really want to use 80x50 as my video mode, but I'm noticing some issues with using the mode command. The change doesn't stick. Some programs are ok with it, but if the program forces 80x25, when I return to the DOS console, it stays in 80x25, rather than returning to 80x50.

Is there a way to make this stick?

krebizfan
April 24th, 2017, 05:56 AM
Wrap each application in a batch file that resets the video in the correct mode after the application exits.

evildragon
April 24th, 2017, 01:16 PM
Seems to be that'll be what I need to do.

I ended up making a batch file called "highres.bat" which runs two commands for my ATI card, "vinstall c132x25" to switch to 132 colums, and then l43, to double it to 50 rows. (It appears l43, while intended for EGA mode on the VGA Wonder, does double the rows on 25 columns too, to 50, so I end up with 132x50.

https://i.imgur.com/6luzPBu.jpg

So for the programs that misbehave, MSDOS EDIT, and CSHOW, I wrote a batch file that calls up a standard 80x25 screen, then calls up highres.bat at the end.

Now my only question here. DOS seems to favor .exe's over .bat in priority, so if I name a programs .bat with the same name as its .exe, it doesn't use the .bat, and for the misbehaving programs, I can't remember which one needs the .bat or not.

Stone
April 24th, 2017, 01:33 PM
And DOS also favors COM over EXE and BAT. :-)

If you call the program highres.bat by its full name, 'HIGHRES.BAT', it will run the bat file.

KC9UDX
April 24th, 2017, 01:50 PM
If EDIT.COM is giving you trouble, rename it XQXQEDIT.COM, and name your batch file EDIT.BAT. Have it call XQXQEDIT.COM and restore your settings. Only a very small handful of post-MSDOS 2 (was it?) programs will have trouble with this.

Most users would be oblivious that they are running your batch file.

evildragon
April 24th, 2017, 02:34 PM
Thanks I'll check that one out. I've been honestly using DR-DOS's "editor" for a bit, and I've liked the simplicity of it.. I was using more edit as an example as it's just one of them with issues.

KC9UDX
April 24th, 2017, 03:15 PM
You can do what I described with almost any program.

evildragon
April 24th, 2017, 04:05 PM
CSHOW, one of the programs I use, doesn't like having its executable renamed, so sadly it doesn't work for that one, but I have an idea, put the batch files in a separate directory I'll call BAT, and simply not put the other programs in the set PATH variable, so all it can call up is the BAT folder.

KC9UDX
April 24th, 2017, 07:54 PM
This is one of those rare times that otherwise mostly useless feature of Unix would come in handy; where you can make the current directory not part of the executable search path.

evildragon
April 25th, 2017, 05:20 AM
Or having some like aliases, on bash.