PDA

View Full Version : How can you get files onto a system that you don't have a disk drive for?

alank2
April 24th, 2017, 07:34 AM
I ordered a compaq portable from eBay and it has a pair of 5.25" floppy drives and will come with a 2.11 dos diskette. I also ordered a 10 pack of DSDD diskettes to use with it. How can I get files to this system since I don't have any other 5.25" drives? All I will have is that 2.11 dos diskette, I would think it might have gwbasic on it. Is there any small program or can you use debug to make a small program that will transfer a file from the serial port to a file on disk? Any ideas?

g4ugm
April 24th, 2017, 10:00 AM
I have used a ".boo" encoded stripped down Kermit. The file is a simple ASCII encoded copy of the KERMIT.EXE file that can be copied down the serial port, along with a short basic program to decode it back to binary.

http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/archive.html#boofile

Chuck(G)
April 24th, 2017, 10:45 AM
You can also hook a 3.5" drive (720K capable) to your Compaq in place of one of the 5.25" drives.

Stone
April 24th, 2017, 10:48 AM
If you have another machine with either a serial or parallel port you might be able to use LapLink or something similar.

lutiana
April 24th, 2017, 11:10 AM
If you have another machine with either a serial or parallel port you might be able to use LapLink or something similar.

How would one do this? That is to say, how would one get the laplink software (or similar) onto the source computer?

Stone
April 24th, 2017, 11:35 AM
How would one do this? That is to say, how would one get the laplink software... onto the source computer?Laplink can be installed onto a remote computer via a serial cable connection.

krebizfan
April 24th, 2017, 11:49 AM
Laplink might be a little large for a Compaq Portable. The install instructions for serial port transfer claim the process requires 300 kB of free space. http://kb.laplink.com/index.php/article/printer/716

Not a lot room left to store files after that.

MikeS
April 24th, 2017, 12:42 PM
Laplink might be a little large for a Compaq Portable. The install instructions for serial port transfer claim the process requires 300 kB of free space. http://kb.laplink.com/index.php/article/printer/716

Not a lot room left to store files after that.Replace the disk; besides, there are two drives.

Stone
April 24th, 2017, 01:03 PM

Not a lot room left to store files after that.After you successfully get Laplink installed on the Compaq just create a Laplink disk with only the EXE file on it. You don't need the all the install junk after you have a working disk. :-)

Furthermore, I wouldn't use Laplink V. I'd use Laplink II or III. :-)

modem7
April 24th, 2017, 03:59 PM
Any ideas?
Some at http://minuszerodegrees.net/transfer/transfer.htm

alank2
April 25th, 2017, 02:03 PM
Thanks everyone, I tried a couple of things. I first made a test program that converts a binary file to a file you can paste into debug, it produces output like this:

e 1000:0
ba 86 1 b4 9 cd 21 ba 95 1 b9 0 0 b4 3c cd
e 1001:0
21 a3 a2 1 72 66 be 0 0 bf 0 0 b4 1 cd 21
n filename.dat
r bx
r cx
a5
w 1000:0

It is called makedbg.exe, if anyone wants it let me know and I'll post it.

Then I tried to make a small assembly program called hexload. When you run it, it creates a dos file and then waits for keystrokes to fill the file with bytes. You then feed it a stream of bytes in hex format (00-FF) and press ESC to exit. It ended up being 165 bytes long. My thought was it might be more ideal to load data with, but it turns out not because there is no serial buffering. Debug at least loads into memory and if something goes wrong, you can just repaste the section that went wrong, etc.

Then, I checked back here and saw FastLynx - it does indeed also work very well!

Thanks,

Alan

fritzeflink
April 27th, 2017, 01:32 AM
After you successfully get Laplink installed on the Compaq just create a Laplink disk with only the EXE file on it. You don't need the all the install junk after you have a working disk. :-)

Furthermore, I wouldn't use Laplink V. I'd use Laplink II or III. :-)

I like Laplink Remote Access as with it you have the drives mounted on the other side and can use NC or other for filetransfer.

alank2
April 27th, 2017, 07:36 AM
I completely forgot, but Norton Commander also has a link feature and can even create a slave on the other side. I never knew there was a windows version of NC (2.0), but when I tried it, I can't see the commander link option even though it is mentioned in the help.

Trixter
May 1st, 2017, 07:13 PM
Thanks everyone, I tried a couple of things. I first made a test program that converts a binary file to a file you can paste into debug, it produces output like this:

There is a thread on this board somewhere where a few of us trying to come up with a "bootstrap" for PCs (like what ADT Pro is for Apple II systems) that have embedded ROM BASIC, but even though it's technically possible, it would have required a lot of typing on the user's part. And that wouldn't help you specifically as your system doesn't have BASIC in ROM.

In the end:

Then, I checked back here and saw FastLynx - it does indeed also work very well!

...is what I recommend to most people. Glad you got it working!