PDA

View Full Version : Zenith SupersPORT 286 BIOS issues

MeepsterNotchy
April 28th, 2017, 05:03 PM
I have a Zenith Data System supersPORT 286 that I just got off eBay. It was guaranteed to be working, but guess what? It was poorly packaged! (Just crumpled paper)
So when it starts there are many problems...
+++ ERROR: Bad configuration information found in CMOS! +++
Please press <Esc> To continue
So I press Escape, then...
+++ ERROR: Incorrect video configuration - Please run SETUP! +++
Please press <Esc> to continue
I once again press Escape...
I am then greeted with this screen;
http://i.imgur.com/INeQ10z.jpg
But when I try anything it instructs me to do, the computer gives no response or a beep upon the key press. Note that none of the startup errors are keyboard related.
Quick responses are necessary as I now only have 12 days to send it back if a consensus is reached that it is irreparable!
Thank you in advance.

modem7
April 28th, 2017, 11:25 PM
I wonder if the CMOS battery came loose during the SupersPORT's rough transit.
The SupersPORT 286 might be one those computers where the BIOS SETUP will 'not play ball' if there is no CMOS battery.

MeepsterNotchy
April 29th, 2017, 08:13 AM
I have opened it up to clean it out. (The carrying case it was sent in was disintegrating into powder)
There was a battery, but the leads were taped on and the plug connecting it to the motherboard was snugly fit, no leaking from the battery either.

MrArgent
April 29th, 2017, 11:23 AM
Oh, SupersPORT 286 and 286e systems can be a real pain... tell me if your drive controller works reliably, would you?

MeepsterNotchy
April 30th, 2017, 07:14 PM
I am sending it back, as I will not have time to work on it in the near future, and said there are only 7 days to return it left. Quite unfortunate!

SpidersWeb
May 1st, 2017, 04:08 AM
Even if you get a working one, it may likely be something you'd need to deal with anyway. Batteries unfortunately don't last forever.
But if you paid a large amount for a perfectly working unit, then it's certainly worth returning. So many "seller refurbished" or "as new" listings for stuff that they just powered on for 5 minutes.

MeepsterNotchy
May 1st, 2017, 06:42 PM
Yes, not worth the $150!