PDA

View Full Version : Testing a non-working Motherboard - Things to Check / Any Good Sites?

Smack2k
May 2nd, 2017, 11:38 AM
Looking for some information on what things to test on a motherboard that isnt working....by things to test, I mean on the board itself, not changing RAM / swapping cards / reseating IC's.

Any good sites or videos someone could point me to that goes over doing this kind of thing, testing out parts of the board for any issues? Something I want to learn to do...

Stone
May 2nd, 2017, 12:01 PM
The two main ones:

1) If the board suffers from battery leakage... toss it.

2) Check for 5V and 12V shorts

lutiana
May 2nd, 2017, 12:55 PM
The two main ones:

1) If the board suffers from battery leakage... toss it.

Nonsense! I've had more than a few boards that have had bad battery leaks, which I cleaned with isopropyl and removed the battery and they worked fine. Now corrosion is another story. It may be lights out for the board if it is bad enough, but surface cleaning it and replacing any passive components affected by the corrosion would help. If cleaning and replacing passives does not get the board to post, then I'd consider tossing it, though not after testing the 12v and 5v lines for ground shorts and checking to see if there are any obvious bad caps.

Stone
May 2nd, 2017, 01:00 PM
My bad... I should have said corrosion -- widespread. All the boards I've had with leakage problems had leaked years before I ever got to them so the corrosion damage was internal as well as external. The liquid phase had long since ended. :-)

Smack2k
May 3rd, 2017, 01:41 AM
Thanks guys