PDA

View Full Version : IDE to CF Woes - Anyone experienced?

zombienerd
May 4th, 2017, 07:57 PM
I recently installed an IDE to CF adapter into my Aptiva A12. I like the idea of easily swapping hard drives for different configs.

They seem to work great, I can fdisk /mbr, format, transfer system, boot, copy files, run DOS programs no problem.

Then, I try to start Windows. Both 3.11 and 98 (on 3 separate CF's) will open, play the welcome sound, then immediately hard lock. No mouse movement, CTRL+ALT+DEL does nothing, requiring a hard shutdown.

This occurs whether I did an Xcopy or loaded them the long way from scratch.

I switch back to my 1.2gb internal Quantum HDD (which I cloned onto one of the CF running 3.11) and it works perfectly.

The CF's are all Transcend 2.0gb 133x if it matters.

Any ideas?

Chuck(G)
May 4th, 2017, 08:00 PM
Have you disabled the hard drive VxDs? I suspect they're expecting a standard 16-bit IDE interface.

zombienerd
May 4th, 2017, 08:14 PM
Have you disabled the hard drive VxDs? I suspect they're expecting a standard 16-bit IDE interface.

Umm.. No? Where would that be done? First time I've heard about that one, and it pains me to say that, lol.

Chuck(G)
May 4th, 2017, 10:18 PM
If Windows runs in "safe mode", you have your answer. See Windows 32 bit disk access (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/32-bit_disk_access).

For Win 3.1, check your SYSTEM.INI. Details here (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/83325/smartdrive-and-32-bit-disk-access).

Back in the early days of 3.1 and 95, problems with the Windows 32-bit driver were not uncommon. I suspect that the IDE-CF adapter combination misses a subtle point and messes up under Windows.

The CF issue is also very common under XP, as many CF cards declare themselves as "removable", which XP won't install to. There are workarounds for that also.

glitch
May 5th, 2017, 06:51 AM
Some cards have better IDE emulation than others, too. I mostly use DOMs instead of CF cards for IDE replacement, but when I do use CF cards, I use industrial specced cards from reputable manufacturers.

zombienerd
May 6th, 2017, 03:47 PM
If Windows runs in "safe mode", you have your answer. See Windows 32 bit disk access (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/32-bit_disk_access).

For Win 3.1, check your SYSTEM.INI. Details here (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/83325/smartdrive-and-32-bit-disk-access).

Back in the early days of 3.1 and 95, problems with the Windows 32-bit driver were not uncommon. I suspect that the IDE-CF adapter combination misses a subtle point and messes up under Windows.

The CF issue is also very common under XP, as many CF cards declare themselves as "removable", which XP won't install to. There are workarounds for that also.

Yup, sure enough it runs just fine in safe mode. Will do some reading and figure out how to take a chainsaw to that 32 bit protected mode disk access and try to get it to run in MSDOS compatibility 100% of the time.

zombienerd
May 6th, 2017, 05:27 PM
So far, I've tried:

Setting Compatibility mode in MSCONFIG
Disabling Primary IDE channel in device manager
Checked System.ini for any vxd's that looked to be related to the HDD, but didn't see any.

Still no joy. Will boot up and work great in safe mode, but in normal mode it will start to play the welcome sound, then hard lock.

Back to google.

zombienerd
May 20th, 2017, 07:28 PM
I've scrapped the CF idea on the Aptiva, and ordered a few 2gb DOM's and a IDE expansion card bracket (with 4pin molex) so I can still have the "easy swap" that I was going for with the CF's.

I have a feeling that it was a device driver issue or a conflict somewhere, as I could get 3.1 to work with a few 386enh changes, until I installed the sound drivers, then it was back to hard locking. Never could get 98 to work, even with many changes to ini's and drivers (even though it would boot just fine in safe mode).

I'll probably re-use the CF adapter on the Packard Bell 300SX I have coming.. I'll just need to grab a few smaller CF's, and throw the 2gb's in my DSLR's bag.

zombienerd
May 29th, 2017, 07:56 PM
Well, oddly enough, I believe it was just the sound card that was the issue. It's a SB Vibra 16 PNP. I installed it the same time I installed the IDE to CF adapter. I was doing some other stuff in the case, and had the card removed, and decided to try Windows for the heck of it. Sure enough, it worked. So, either there was a conflict somewhere, or the card is bad. It seems to work fine in another system, and works in Windows on those boxes. Maybe later I'll play with the IRQ and DMA settings to see if it makes a difference.

KenEG
May 30th, 2017, 03:32 AM
It's been a long time since I worked with the older versions of Windows. I seem to remember that when I had blue screen or lockup issues but safe mode worked, I would disable devices in device manager. Once the problem went away, I wound re-inable devices one at a time until I found the culprit. Tedious, but it works. Then try to find a better driver for the device.