PDA

View Full Version : Sibelius - Cluster Chords??

bbcmicro
January 2nd, 2007, 05:23 AM
I got an AMD K6 unit from my auntie in nice condition, it had a version of Sibelius 1.1 on it. I've been using it for the last two hours or so and it's quite nice.

Anyhoo, I was transcribing a poor-quality PDF of 'Victor's Piano Solo' from the film Corpse Bride (I think it's great) And I'm on the last bar. In the film, he get's interrupted by his fiancé and the musical climax is interrupted with some erroneous notes.

The original score notates these with what look like demisemiquavers (Or a 32nd note for all you Americans/Germans) but with empty rectangles for the note head.

How, if at all, can I implement these in sibelius? I ask because I know there are a few musically minded people here (Carlsson for one, I remember from a topic on one of his compositions)

Thanks

Matty.

carlsson
January 2nd, 2007, 06:28 AM
Beats me. I once downloaded a demo version of Sibelius, found it very complex, slow (on a 200 MHz Pentium) and figured I would never afford to buy the full version(*). Is version 1.1 a very old one? I'm not sure what the rectangular note heads symbolize. Perhaps if you can post part of the original PDF it is easier to tell what it is supposed to be. I'm guessing some kind of ad lib/rubato rainfall of notes.

(*) Over here, a full version was around 7300 SEK (US$1050) last time I checked, which makes it one of, or the most expensive composing software. I see now that some online store has a special (crossgrade?) offer of 5000 SEK ($715) which is still too much if I can use a $40 program that does almost as much.

bbcmicro
January 2nd, 2007, 07:49 AM
I've attatched a sample from the PDF.
It signifies random notes in a 'squashed' sort of way, if the film's soundtrack is anything to go by. I want to know if I can't transcribe it as written, if there is another way I could mark it.

At second glance, I didn't notice the accents either.

carlsson
January 2nd, 2007, 08:02 AM
Erm.. cute. Perhaps you can make notes without noteheads and insert some text/graphics on top of it for visual effect? It depends if your main aim is to get proper MIDI playback or focus more on the visual. It also raises the question how many pianists or other musicians recognize this notation. The ledger lines suggest the clusters should be in a certain position; first one from G to D and second one from H to F?

bbcmicro
January 2nd, 2007, 08:58 AM
Hmmm..interesting...

I suppose then that it is just a clearer way of writing "Play all the notes between here and here" But then you wonder if you would include accidentals or not. MIDI-wise i'll just put in some scrunches (G-D,B/H-F).

In answer to your question carlsson, Version 1.1 for Windows harks back to 1999, but the first version was for the Acorn Archimedes in the last 1/2 of the 80's

I think the latest version is £400-£500 :o :o :o

carlsson
January 2nd, 2007, 09:40 AM
I tried to search for some unusual notation, but so far I haven't found that particular notation on some Internet music encyclopedia. A bit hard to find it when one doesn't know what it is called.

I think the accidential is to mark that you should hit all the keys (on the piano, I presume) hard at once, or are they supposed to flounder in?

In NoteWorthy Composer, I would probably represent it like this.

bbcmicro
January 3rd, 2007, 01:09 AM
Is that just edited noteheads?
There is an option in sibelius to change noteheads. I could do something like that.
However, seeing as neither of us can find what it means, there seems little point to trying to put it on the score as you mentioned, chances are few people will understand it as well. I'll keep my eye out for curiositys' sake but I suppose now I turn to finding an equivalent that is recognised by the majority. Unfortunately I am terrible at music theory and I can't remember anything similar, although doubtless that I have played something like it at some point.

carlsson
January 3rd, 2007, 03:18 AM
That is notes without noteheads whatsoever, and then I've inserted text symbols on top of the notes, in this case a narrow box originating from an undefined symbol in a font. I don't know if it would print as well as the preview looks.